The thin grease for firearms

Motor oil, ATF and gear oil are what I use. Better that any gun oils.
I'm with you on that. ATF is the new miracle cure for a dirty bore in my 1911. Dip the patch in ATF. Shoot a quick blast of carb cleaner on the patch. Repeat. You're done.

Many of you know that firearms need a lube that not only ensures firing reliability, but also absorbs or suspends dirt/carbon from firing. In various forums, you hear the old saw, "If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it." But the point argued around the web is that traditional auto grease is too stiff for many sliding parts, and rotating bolts found in many semi-auto firearms need something more 'stay put' than the traditional 'gun oil' that we all grew up with.

There must be over 50 specialty gun greases for sale across the web. Lubriplate, Tetra, Frog, and a new player CherryBalmz all come to mind. I think what they are trying to do is to provide ultra high lubricity, with ultra high 'stayinplacity' by mixing up a very thin grease. Most appear to be in a consistency somewhere between a 00 "Applesauce" and 000 heavy oil.

But look at what they charge! Most of these heavily-hyped gun greases are $14-$16 for a few ounces!
crazy2.gif
However, if I want to save money by running down to the local auto parts or hardware store, all I can find is "Normal" NLG #2 Grease with the consistency of peanut butter. Many of you know that there are less than a dozen major grease manufactures in North America. So, none of these gun grease sellers make their own grease. They must be buying a 00 or 000 from one of the majors and repackaging it to make $1000 a gallon.

My question the BITOG hive mind is: Can I take an auto grease & an auto oil and mix them to get the desired consistency? Or who do you think sells a reasonably priced semifluid grease formulated to lubricate and protect in a dirty environment with a wide temperature range?
I'd just use an automotive oil on the thicker side.

Back