Best non-toxic food grade grease for guns?

Hi, I'm looking for a very good quality non-toxic food grade grease that is safe for skin touch to lube firearms like AR15 bolt carriers, rails, cam pins and slides on hand guns.

I've read that Lubriplate SFL-0 NLGI-0 is good. I've also came across MobilGrease FM 101 which is also a food grade aluminum based grease and is NLGI-1. Out of those, which one would be superior for lubrication?

https://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Grease/Multi-Purpose-Greases/SFL-Series/SFL-0

https://www.mobil.com/en-us/grease/pds/gl-xx-mobilgrease-fm-series

What's the need for it to be food grade?
Usually, when it's food grade and certified NSF H1 it's certified non-toxic in cases of accidental food contact for the food industry making it less toxic/harmful for humans. I'd like to avoid toxic chemicals from automotive greases/oils. I want it to be safe or "safer" for skin contact when I apply it.

Mobil website: "These NSF H1 multipurpose grease products are rated for incidental contact with food in applications where contact is unavoidable. They are safe for human consumption in diminutive quantities and are often used on equipment such as conveyor belts, pumps, and mixers that are in close proximity to food production."

Are there any greases out there that are certified and registered non-toxic that are not specifically made for the food industry? I know of Boretech grease and Slip2000 EWG but they are very expensive for the little amount you get...

MobilGrease FM 101: $16 for 14oz

Lubriplate SLF-0: $28 for 14oz

Boretech grease - $15.49 for 10cc of grease.

Slip2000 EWG - $13.70 for 1.5oz. $84.93 for 16oz.

Maybe use a q-tip to apply it?
Yeah, but the problem is when you clean it and also shoot suppressed it's blowing back in your face. Chemicals are endocrine disruptors and lower testosterone. I know a auto mechanic who had to leave work because of the constant use of automotive chemicals he was exposed to and is on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) for life.

You can get small packs of food grade grease at most industrial distributors. Check out Grainger or Fastenal.

Have you already investigated frog lube and/or fire clean? Those are vegetable based if I remember correctly.. From what I've read (never used any) they aren't terribly suitable for long term storages though, but a couple of members have used it and been quite happy - specifically with fire clean and suppressors.

Have you already investigated frog lube and/or fire clean? Those are vegetable based if I remember correctly.. From what I've read (never used any) they aren't terribly suitable for long term storages though, but a couple of members have used it and been quite happy - specifically with fire clean and suppressors.
Yes. I'm not a fan of Frog Lube because of the process involved in applying it. I've heard and read good things about Fireclean but I believe the old formula is no more and the newer formula is different with a different company owning it?

Not a fan of Frog Lube (heavily marketed/promoted around here, with the SEAL presence). Not a fan of Fireclean, either. The vegetable base for those two make them unstable in the long run, whether they’re on my shelf, or worse, on my guns.

If you’re worried about toxicity of lube - I think the great concern with a suppressed rifle would be the propellant gases, rather than the lube itself. That said, Ballistol is safe enough that it can be taken internally, and I am a fan of oil on AR type guns. Grease seems to slow them down and get dirty quicker.

Www.ballistol.com - see that they say about toxicity. About the safest lube out there. Basically mineral oil.

Reducing the gas blowback is going to be a large part of your risk reduction in toxic/chemical exposure.

For the gas blowback, I would get a Radian, or Geissele, charging handle with a lip. Easy swap. I bought mine on sale - for a decent price. Big reduction in the amount of gas “in your face” with the lip. Next, get an adjustable gas block and dial back the gas. There are a lot of options, I have a Superlative Arms gas block that will fit under a really tight quad rail, but Aero Precision, Odin Works, and others make gas blocks.

I think lead exposure is more of an issue than grease exposure. Grease by nature isn't as full of volatile compounds like other automotive chemicals are.

I think lead exposure is more of an issue than grease exposure. Grease by nature isn't as full of volatile compounds like other automotive chemicals are.
Agreed, the gas is the issue.

There may be a tiny amount of lead in the primer, and therefore, the gas. He’s not shooting round nose lead bullets from his AR, so there isn’t any lead exposure from the ammo itself, but the gas is the issue.

So, the lubricant part is easily solved - Ballistol.

The gas part requires some work if you’re going to run a suppressor. The rifle won’t put a bunch of gas in your face unless you suppress it.

Or, bite the bullet and get a piston AR, where the gas stays forward, with the operating rod/piston and gas block.

Note, my M-1 doesn’t have this problem, it stays clean and runs clean… 😎

Yeah, but the problem is when you clean it and also shoot suppressed it's blowing back in your face. Chemicals are endocrine disruptors and lower testosterone. I know an auto mechanic who had to leave work because of the constant use of automotive chemicals he was exposed to and is on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) for life.
If cleaning is a concern, and it certainly is for me, then buy nitrile gloves to do the cleaning. $15 for 100 gloves on Amazon.

Minimize your contact with all of the chemicals. All of them.

Solvents, metals, powder residue, and yes, lubricant.

Wear the gloves to clean.

If cleaning is a concern, and it certainly is for me, then buy nitrile gloves to do the cleaning. $15 for 100 gloves on Amazon.

Yes, thank you.

Good point. Reducing exposure when the potentially hazardous stuff is solvated and mobile is important.

I agree on ballistol. Not the best for anything, but if OP is really concerned about contact, it’s not the minuscule amount of grease hidden in some location you can’t hardly see. It’s the potentiallly continuous contact of some surfaces of any metal object really (I do the same for tools, guns, etc.), where it’s more concerning.

This is a matter of the right tool for the job in the right place, and have concern for the risks where they actually present themselves in a tangible way.

Back