My firearms should be greased or not question…..for the experts….

Well, it often happens with my collection guns that see shooting and cleaning less that once per year. This is with WeaponsShield which has been better than others like Hoppes oil or Rem oil.
I would probably stop using those then, since you know what happens with them.

Grease gets a bad rap because most people think you put it on with a grease gun and you have to be able to see the grease for it to really be there. If the grease is on any heavier than your oil then its too thick. I use moly grease with an artist paint brush on the back of AR bolts and the locking lugs of bolt actions, the slides of 1911's and the bolt and raceways of M1's and M1A's. a different grease for aluminum framed steel slide guns. Bicycle chain wax on polymer framed guns. But it all has to be very very light applications, heavy grease or heavy application either rubs off or collects dust and fouling. But I also never run my guns to failure before cleaning which seems to be a thing nowadays, I cant count the times a guy on the line will ask if I have oil because he just put 500 rnd through his AR and its running dry or he oiled it a couple months ago when he put it away but now its malfunctioning.

Back