The opioid epidemic - hoppers/thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my knowledge, the only products sold with fentanyl were pain patches. They were put on after surgery and taken off 3 days later. They worked great in humans and animals when used as directed. I did read that addicts would get the patches and chew on them. Oxycontin was a designed slow release pain pill for severe pain. Pain is easier to prevent and takes less drug. But they figured out to chop it up and snort it or cook it and inject it, become addicted to it, so it got a bad name. There are a lot of people out there that are in legitimate severe pain and that's what Oxycontin was designed for. So they crack down on it and who gets hurt....the people that use it legitimately and legally.
Unfortunately there are Docs that handed them out like Pez candy.

Near your home or neighborhood / park ?

Some parents no longer take their kids to the park for fear of getting stuck with a needle.
No, frankly, in parks in lower income places that weve gone to exploring. But the concern is valid.

No doubt it’s heading everywhere.

Unfortunately there are Docs that handed them out like Pez candy.
Pushed by drug reps nonetheless - the US and New Zealand are one of the few countries who have direct to consumer drug marketing as well as roving sales reps for drugs. Lots of drugs when they are brand new(as well as DME/wheelchairs, etc) are priced on the assumption insurance will cover the cost. With the rise of HDHPs and the uninsured, many will forgo meds and treatment.

Opiates weren’t DTC marketed until OxyContin came out. Johnson & Johnson/Janssen Pharmaceutica also marketed Duragesic directly - if not by name, it was an ad for pain treatment in magazines with certain demographics - seniors and people in end-stage cancer especially. However, the pharmaceutical industry until the 1980s were pushing amphetamines, opiates, barbiturates and benzodiazepines like candy - even meth was prescribed for weight loss. But doctors didn’t know how addictive they were. Quaaludes, anyone?

The local bars have been keeping Narcan behind the bar, and lately some have test kits in the bathroom. Drug dealers have been lacing heroin with fentanyl - the “good stuff” drives sales for them - but it’s like the most recent d-Con ads where the voice over says “D-Con, so good, mice will die for it”. I’m all for harm reduction but the answer to solve the opioid crisis is complex and might not be a savory solution for some. I do remember seeing a SFPD cop try to revive a homeless person who ODed. 20 minutes later when I rode past the scene to get back to work, he was in a body bag and the coroner was on the scene.

Last edited:
About 6 years ago there was a pain management Drs. office in the town 6 miles from me. The DEA went into there and busted that pill mill wide open! The pain management Dr., along with some of his APRN, were led off in hand cuffs. Rumors were, you could practically walk into that Drs. office and say your back was hurting. You were then prescribed pain pills.
Now, I don't know how much of that is true, but the DEA did shut it down.

I believe the ones that abuse it get hooked. And/or sell it on the streets!
Why is it that I can bring X amount of my prescribed pain pills back to my pain management Dr. each month to dispose of? Is that the indication of one that abuses his pain meds? NO! The amount varies every month. I am in so much pain sometimes that it makes me want to cry! I have a TENS machine with gel patches that helps, somewhat.
I have seen the DEA at my Drs. office a couple of times walking someone out in hand cuffs. Not because of my Dr., but because of the patients STUPIDITY! I just can't understand why people get hooked on pain meds. I guess they like to feel like a Zombie! SMH!
People who end up abusing opiates have the gene where the part of the molecule attaches itself to the hypothalamus gland. Most folx don't know how their body will react to the opiate until they use it. Feel lucky you don't have that issue. Its not about smart or stupid..its about body chemistry. Its not a badge of honor not to be sensitive to the opiates possible effects.

I hope your situation improves soon. Living with pain for long periods takes the fun outa life...

Last edited:
People who end up abusing opiates have the gene where the part of the molecule attaches itself to the hypothalamus gland. Most folx don't know how their body will react to the opiate until they use it. Feel lucky you don't have that issue. Its not about smart or stupid..its about body chemistry. Its not a badge of honor not to be sensitive to the opiates possible effects.

I hope your situation improves soon. Living with pain for long periods takes the fun outa life...
DELETED

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back