The old days

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss the old days and they weren't that long ago. 5 or 6 years ago I could go to my dollar store and get a case of Exxon Superflow 5-30 for 12 bucks and then catch a sale and get a Penske oil filter at Kmart for a dollar or a Havoline filter at Freds for .79 cents. The box of oil always at a $3.00 mail in rebate so for about $3.50 I could do a oil change. Now oil is $4.00 and up a qt a filter will cost $4.00 dollars and up. The same oil change 6 years later is $20.00- $25.00 bucks. The oil companies are making a killing.

I feel ya my friend. I remember when I could get a 5qt jug of ST 5W20 for under $10

adam

I can still go to a mom and pop store where my dad lives; which is far north of here, for like $23

When Walmart stopped selling Phillips 66 Trop Artic I got it for .93 cents a qt. I think I bought up about 8 cases in all. Hit every store in this area. I don't think I will every see a deal like that again.

Well fellas,
Advance Auto Parts (AAP) has a great deal on Valvoline Nextgen right now. 20.99 for 5 quarts and a purolator filter and you get a 20 buck debit card back on rebate. That makes the oil and filter cost about 25 cents each after you pay tax and get the rebate. Happy days are here again!

In 1978 quality dino was 35-45 cents a qt. I started using M1 5-20 then (the only wt they had) and paid $5 a qt.

I'm with Tig. I remember when the regular per quart price of dino was 50 cents and you could regularly get it on sale for 35-40 cents. I started using M1 in 1977; by then it had "come down" to $3.99 per quart at some retailers. Oil filters were just over a buck each.

Unfortunately, BITOG is feeding the problem of rising prices. Oil companies can see that a bunch of people are fanatics for oil that costs $7+/quart, even though the cheaper stuff works equally well and nobody has ever measured a real, quantifiable benefit to the expensive stuff. And they see what kinds of words you want to hear to convince you to buy the expensive stuff, and the marketing machine gets stronger. So they will continue to jack up the prices until the market won't sustain it any more. Keep buying the expensive stuff and giving them free word of mouth advertising about it with no rational technical basis or practical benefits, and they will continue to jack up the rates. BITOG serves this purpose quite well.

Originally Posted By: Subarutech
I remember when Motorcraft S/B 5w20 was $11.50 for 5qts, now its about $15.50ish

I remember that too and now its almost 18 dollars here! ONe of the dumbest things I ever did in my life was when I sold a old S10. My Dad had stocked up on uniflow that he bought at Big Lots for 60 cents per quart. He bought enough to wear out a toyota truck he had. He sold the truck at 150K far from wore out and gave me his stash. I had tons of this stuff and used it for years.

I sold that truck and gave the new owner my stash because I was so stupid I didnt ever think I would use it. I was a fool. NOw, I keep ever drop of oil I have no matter if I think I may never need it or use it.

Oil should be going back down soon. I saw GTX at Wally go from $18 a jug to $15. New players like Peak are getting a nice share of the low cost oils because that is a name brand we have trusted for decades. I see the major companies pushing their corporate named oils to compete on the bottom side in order to keep their heavily promoted oils in a higher price range. We should see more Trop Artic, Formula Shell, Exxon Superflow and Chevron on more store shelves.

I used to get a 5qt of PP for $15 at wal-mart 2 years ago when I first got my license and grand am...

Its now $24.98...

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
We should see more Trop Artic, Formula Shell, Exxon Superflow and Chevron on more store shelves.

Didn't they quit making Exxon Superflo? I thought it was replaced by Mobil Super 5000 or something like that.
21.gif

Yes they did quit making exxon superflo, and I got the last of the Mobil Clean stuff at advance in 10w40 for $1.98 a qt. Got the last 7 qts of the HM Mobil Clean in 10w30 and 10w30 at $1.58 with my work account

adam

Originally Posted By: Subarutech
I remember when Motorcraft S/B 5w20 was $11.50 for 5qts, now its about $15.50ish

Ya better check again. Yesterday, a jug of MC syn blend at WM was priced at $18.XX, an increase from $17.47 in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back