What testing goes into the 20k Mobil Annual Protection marketing claim.

From the video above. EP's oxidation resistance is on the level of Amsoil SS. Mobil 1 engines stay clean.

View attachment 222601

View attachment 222605
I have no idea just how clean my engine or pistons are, but I’ve run Mobil1 EP 0W20 for 10,000 miles and Amsoil signature series 5W30 for 12,000 miles and the Mobil1 EP did just as well (if not slightly better) in UOA’s comparing them side by side. With a higher TBN remaining in the Mobil1, which was run 2,000 miles less, BUT was not added to in top ups (whereas the Amsoil did have around a quart added). Total Wear metal numbers were identical.

Here’s my opinion : It’s great that M1 5W30 EP jug lable stated it is good for 20K miles . Hyundai / Kia vehicle OM manual states max oil change interval to be 12 months / 7,500 miles . My OCI in mixed driving is 6 months / 5,000 miles and if I take a long highway trip I’ll extend to 6,000 miles using a Fram 20K mile oil filter for 2 OCI’s of 10K to 12K miles total .

It would be interesting to run this 20,000 mile from Mobil 1 against the 20,000 mile oil from Quaker State and SuperTech in 3 identical engines and inspect the engines once the 20,000 miles are up. My expectation would be no difference whatsoever between the 3.

It would be interesting to run this 20,000 mile from Mobil 1 against the 20,000 mile oil from Quaker State and SuperTech in 3 identical engines and inspect the engines once the 20,000 miles are up. My expectation would be no difference whatsoever between the 3.
Maybe or maybe not

That would be too short of a mileage to do the engine teardown anyhow. Better if it were more like 100,000 miles.

I think you are correct. We'd need perform 20,000 miles OCI and take the engines to 200,000 miles and see if there are any differences.

I think you are correct. We'd need perform 20,000 miles OCI and take the engines to 200,000 miles and see if there are any differences.
Would be interesting to do such a test. Ten 20k OCI = 200,000 miles.
My bet is XOM puts more testing to back their claims than most if not all oil companies in existance. Having said that if I were inclined to trust those claims in one of my vehicles that faith would be established with UOA reports

In watching Mobil 1 Marketing videos where they show a Mercedes running on Mobil 1 for 1 million miles with the tires on rollers and simulating highway speeds, they show the engine as being clean with very little wear at the end of that testing. But that test lacks credibility as they don't have a control like another identical vehicle doing the same 1,000,000 simulated miles with oil from one of their competitors (like Pennzoil or Amsoil).

My expectation is that there wouldn't any difference between Mobil 1 and any other full synthetic oil run under same conditions.

I think all group III full synthetic oils produce identical outcomes over the long term, and only difference is price.

In watching Mobil 1 Marketing videos where they show a Mercedes running on Mobil 1 for 1 million miles with the tires on rollers and simulating highway speeds, they show the engine as being clean with very little wear at the end of that testing. But that test lacks credibility as they don't have a control like another identical vehicle doing the same 1,000,000 simulated miles with oil from one of their competitors (like Pennzoil or Amsoil).

My expectation is that there wouldn't any difference between Mobil 1 and any other full synthetic oil run under same conditions.

I think all group III full synthetic oils produce identical outcomes over the long term, and only difference is price.
You're right, I call it marketing though. The others can do tests like that too, and put some of their money where their mouths are too, it would be interesting. Of all the oil major players I trust XOM the most. Regarding the small companies, we have testimony, UOAs etc. They don't have the money do do the extensive testing that XOM has, so trust and faith play in a bit more. JMO

I know this is a very long time ago, but I have always found it fascinating that Mobil spent the kind of money back in 1989, to perform this test of Mobil 1. It really does seem that it was more about marketing than actually proving the product. But still cool.

I would have purchased that car.

When you develop and approve additive packages, like Mobil does, you need an ASTM certified lab. The thing is, these labs belong to the additive arm of the company (Infineum), not the blender arm. Since Valvoline doesn't develop additive packages and don't have a separate arm that does, their lab is owned by their blender arm, which is how they get away with that claim.

It's not the expense. Mobil's net income was $36 billion on $344.6 billion in revenues in 2023. This compares to $424 million in net income for Valvoline, on $1.24 billion in revenues for 2022. Mobil NET's 30x Valvoline's total revenues, buying Valvoline, whose total assets are $3.44 billion (and Saudi Aramco bought them for $2.65 billion), would be a rounding error on Mobil's balance sheet. Mobil wasted 10x that on their GTL plant they abandoned.
Why on earth would someone even want to purchase Valvoline? Especially when they are abundantly rich in the crude oil production business? Just to maybe do like the other business raiders perhaps? Grab ownership. Cut employees across the board, cut everything , every cost they possibly can to run up the dividends with zero care about quality or repeat business then ASAP , as soon as the stock is swollen ....due to various reasons ,booom! Sell the business to another owner. It does happen far too often and it sadly kills many once great companies/products.

It's nine oil changes at 20,000 miles to get to 200,000 miles. :sneaky:

Back