The old days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brenden
I think when the re branded a little bit, superflo became mobil "special."

I miss Superflo with the bright red bottle and the tiger on the label.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I remember synth blends being $1-$2 a quart,a stuff like M1 being in the $3 range.
Originally Posted By: tig1
In 1978 quality dino was 35-45 cents a qt. I started using M1 5-20 then (the only wt they had) and paid $5 a qt.
Originally Posted By: teddyboy
I'm with Tig. I remember when the regular per quart price of dino was 50 cents and you could regularly get it on sale for 35-40 cents. I started using M1 in 1977; by then it had "come down" to $3.99 per quart at some retailers. Oil filters were just over a buck each.

And I remember (back then when oil was cheap)....that the average wage was $125 per week.....and now its about $500.....and a loaf of bread was .35 cents....and now its %2.50.....and when you could buy a house in some places for #5000.....blah, blah, blah...blah, blah......

IT CALLED 'INFLATION' GENTLEMAN!.....EVERYTHING HAS INFLATED ...including oil, wages, bread and home prices....and everything else!

Stop belly-aching.....someday you'll look at today as "the good old days".

This IS NOT JUST INFLATION...IT IS PRICE GOUGING!

I'm done jumping through hoops to get those annoying rebates as well. The deal may be great unless YOUR rebate isn't honored or processed and that seems to happen A LOT.

I have just extended my OC interval by a few k's and have gone to the lower tier brands that are approved by API and manufactured by repsectable refiners that don't use as much marketing (which costs a LOT of money).

Peak is just fine, and IS cheaper. One good example.

Last edited:
Oregonian, a 50 cent per quart price of oil in 1970 would equate to $2.90 today. Clearly oil is more expensive than that today so it has risen in real terms. Moreover, the 1970 median income was $9350 which is equivalent to just under 55K today ($54.943.30 to be exact). The current median income is around 48k. So the reality is that the price of oil has risen in real terms while the median income has fallen in real terms. When you realize that the 1970 median household income was primarily one wage earner, the real income decline is actually larger than the numbers suggest.. So bottom line, blah blah blah right back at you. If you want to argue that it's just inflation, you should compare inflation adjusted (real) values.

I remember when 10W-40 was A WINTER oil for quick starts in really COLD weather.

You guys would wip me bad if I put that in my CR-V this winter.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
I remember when 10W-40 was A WINTER oil for quick starts in really COLD weather.

Those were really good days. None of this 0W-20 household 3in1 oil.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

grin2.gif

The good old days ? That was 3-4 years ago when we still have Kragen stores in So Cal. Back then they had Synpower on sale with rebate(s) 3-4 times a year, I had many cases that were less than zero (yes, I pocket some changes) after double rebates, 1 rebate from Kragen and second rebate from Valvoline.

I had so many cases of Synpower such that I didn't bother to buy any more if the final cost was $1/qt or a little higher.

To compete with Kragen sale/rebate on oil, Pep Boys had similar sale/rebate too. I scored some FAR oil and filters from Pep Boys, also some other FAR items such as LED flash lights. For few years, Pep Boys sold $1 calendar with many good coupons inside, I remember they had BOGO M1 coupon in the calendar, I bought 4-5 calendars to get that coupons.

Oregonian, a 50 cent per quart price of oil in 1970 would equate to $2.90 today. Clearly oil is more expensive than that today so it has risen in real terms. Moreover, the 1970 median income was $9350 which is equivalent to just under 55K today ($54.943.30 to be exact). The current median income is around 48k. So the reality is that the price of oil has risen in real terms while the median income has fallen in real terms. When you realize that the 1970 median household income was primarily one wage earner, the real income decline is actually larger than the numbers suggest.. So bottom line, blah blah blah right back at you. If you want to argue that it's just inflation, you should compare inflation adjusted (real) values.

I wasn't using actual figures....but just using made-up prices as an example that things are just not that out of line.

As far as oil and automobiles are concerned....we are getting a much better product.... I don't think most of us would put 1970 oil in our modern vehicles.... or trade a 2011 vehicle for a 1970 car. You pay more for quality!

The problem today is that we pay for so many other 'tech' things we never had in the 70's (like cell phones and service, cable TV, internet service etc.)....which then make essentials... like motor oil... seem more expensive. If you took those costs (that most of us have out of the picture)....oil is still very reasonable.

It used to be that the typical markup on an item was 30%. I know for a fact it is upwards of 100% on some things. I had to replace the radiator in my mustang a few weeks back. I shopped all over and found one for 1/3 of what the local part stores were asking. It's even the same brand (made in china junk)that was being sold.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

I wasn't using actual figures....but just using made-up prices as an example that things are just not that out of line.

As far as oil and automobiles are concerned....we are getting a much better product.... I don't think most of us would put 1970 oil in our modern vehicles.... or trade a 2011 vehicle for a 1970 car. You pay more for quality!

The problem today is that we pay for so many other 'tech' things we never had in the 70's (like cell phones and service, cable TV, internet service etc.)....which then make essentials... like motor oil... seem more expensive. If you took those costs (that most of us have out of the picture)....oil is still very reasonable.

I'm certainly not one to long for the good old days. However, there is nothing wrong with a little nostalgia either. That's how I took this thread; just remembering the way things were in an earlier time.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

grin2.gif

My idea of winter oil is still 10w-30 or 10w-40.
57.gif

I'm certainly not one to long for the good old days. However, there is nothing wrong with a little nostalgia either. That's how I took this thread; just remembering the way things were in an earlier time.

But you get my point...don't you Teddyboy?

Yes indeed, there are still deals to be had but, one has to look a bit harder for them.

As "toneydoc" mentioned, the Valvoline NextGen oil/filter combo at AAP is a good example. I love looking for deals on oil & filters when I can and need'em. I have a pretty good stash right now but, I'll still be looking though I'm not in a hurry!

1.Just spent 18.44 for MC 5-20 at wally world,it was 24.95 at
o'Reillys.Last year it was 16.85
Just read an article in the paper that said oil companys are exporting billions in oil and gas,passing airplanes as the number one export,causing high oil and gas prices

But you get my point...don't you Teddyboy?

I do. When you realize that the worst oil on the shelf today can easily do 5K in today's computer controlled cars, it's pretty clear that oil costs (both in terms of dollars and time) are much lower today than even 30 years ago.

I agree that soon we will look back on today as the 'good old days', we are in a 'price lull' right now.....

Hoever, to keep with the topic, I remember in the late 1990's, when WM ST oil was $0.77/litre for 10W-30; and $0.88/litre for 5W-30 - we sold a LOT of bottles at those prices!!!

Another great one was WM had Havoline 5W-30 and 10W-30 for $1.88/quart, that was my go-to top-off oil, I thought ST was garbage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back