The next Moly controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is that the oils that have the least amount of Moly (<150ppm), or No Moly put up the best numbers on BITOG.

I could care less if a formulation has moly. I like results! If a product is working fine without moly what is the big deal! I like to have as robust an aditive package as possable but I would never exclude an oil just because it was missing one particular additve. Look at Delo 400 and Delvac 1300 both work fine with out Moly. On the other hand I have also used Redline and it had a lot of moly. I like moly and have used it alot in bearings but think we make too much of it!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Look at Delo 400 and Delvac 1300 both work fine with out Moly. I like moly and have used it alot in bearings but think we make too much of it!

Delvac has moly.
grin.gif

IHMO, moly is of benefit in improving ring/cylinder seal and reducing blowby/oil consumption.

[ May 31, 2004, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
All I know is that the oils that have the least amount of Moly (strong>

You do realize that you've just described most of the oils on the market though. Only a small percentage of oils out there use more than 150ppm of moly in their formulation.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Grossomotto:
You should change your name to

"rob-the-Moly-nut

Hehehe, thanks! But it turns out Schaeffer's Moly isn't too rich in Moly. I was told it would increase the Moly by 15 to 20 PPM. Schaeffer's Moly still remains one the very very few oil additives that BITOG-ers approve of / recommend and it's already added to RedLine in a super-cleaned jug, ready to go after I add LC.
It's been explained to me that Schaeffer's Moly is high in other good things, mainly Antimony. I don't know why I should be interested in Antimony; I have no wife or ex-wife, and no kids. Hmph, sometimes ya just gotta do like the experts tell ya, and have a little faith
dunno.gif

HAPPY 4th!
patriot.gif

Rob The Oil Nut
canada.gif

I think Moly is probably cost effective. I have read that there are organics that are superior to moly as a FM and cost more, but give better mileage in diesel engines. Maybe not as multi-functional...
dunno.gif

quote:

I have read that there are organics that are superior to moly as a FM and cost more,

Probably what Mobil Delvac 1 and Amsoil are using. Amsoil's racing oils use ZERO Moly and M1R only uses about 70ppm.

[ July 04, 2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

rolleyes.gif
Buster after hearing your reply to Synergyn you have to throw RP out for SYNERGYN.http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000130 Taking it a step futher the additive is perhaps better than the SCHAEFFER Additive. of course the price is high but were talking quality.
tongue.gif

This is from an older thread. Which Moly compounds are corrosive? And we are talking about Moly dithiocarbamates in modern oils right?

quote:

I e-mailed one of my main Lubrizol contacts and he made the following observations:

Q: In your opinion, are these additives (I specifically mentioned Molyvan 855 by RT Vanderbilt) significant in terms of engine oil performance, or are they just a lot of hype?

A: Organic molybdenum compounds definitely have been shown to enhance performance of engine oils. They not only act as friction modifiers (improving fuel efficiency), but also may behave as oxidation inhibitors.

Using organic molybdenum compounds in engine oils offers some formulating challenges. First of all, they are costly. More important, they may pose some unique performance challenges; i.e., corrosion problems, particularly for yellow metal engine components. Thus, the lubricant formulation must be tailored around the molybdenum component to insure that all performance features are properly addressed. If one just plops a molybdenum component into an existing motor oil formulation, without rechecking performance, field service problems could crop up. This has happened many times in the past when oil marketers supplemented their existing motor oil products to add extra claims; i.e., fuel economy.

Also, this link makes an interesting point. Can someone differentiate this Moly from what RL is using? Molybdenum

Maybe the moly in the Delvac 1300 explains why my average gas milage is 1.5 mpg greater than with GC. Why else would a thicker oil give better milage?

quote:

Originally posted by rob-the-oil-nut:
I am a Moly lover and a RedLine lover, and was thinking of adding Schaeffer's Moly to RedLine. Moly overkill? Absolutely. -*-*-*

can anyone give me a solid reason not to try it?
(-*-*-*

I'm a Moly Kook too. Yes, I admit it. It has been hard... very hard, yes so very hard not to use the 20 or so galllons of 10w30 Moly enriched oil I have around here.... BUT I have... I have stuck to a plain Jane Bottom of the line oil that is a "no-Named oil" I am using it and running her HARD and HEAVY every chance I get during break-IN... about 1/2 way to th4e end of the 36K warranty.... then I'll think about going back to MOLY!
Okay okay okay... Got off track.... the point is I LUV her { MOLY )
grin.gif

But you must remember that
NOT everyone can or will BLEND in moly properly.
It is HARDER to make an oil with it in specific with HIGH dosages.... it throws the balance off... if you don't know what the heck youre doing (oil master -- engineer)....

So... in answers to the above:
RL is 1 a different animal
RL is 2 Loaded with MOLY - right??
RL is " Balanced " for this application...

SOOOOOoooo
My question is WHY try to make it come apart... why throw a wrench into the equation?

Me, and mine... Unless I was someone like Terry Or I had the money and just didn't care I'd let sleeping dogs lie.

quote:

Look at the notes under the various R.T. Vanderbilt Moly's concerning copper corrosion

I wonder how many different Moly's their are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back