The "New" Dexos and Valvoline Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2014 Buick Encore a year and a half ago. Been using Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 since purchase with good results. The car now has 81,000 miles on it so is well out of warranty.

I note that the upcoming Dexos changes exclude Maxlife but (interestingly) include Durablend. Lots of oil change places in my neighborhood have Maxlife at a very attractive cost. Full synthetics cost a lot more. My assumption was always that MaxLife and Durablend were essentially the same product except for increased seal conditioners.

If I remember correctly, Valvoline was late to the Dexos party and used to state that their product met Dexos standards but that the licensing charge by GM was a ripoff. Since a high portion of Maxlife users are GM products out of warranty, I suspect that they're trying to save licensing. My experience with Maxlife has been very good. No oil usage when running the OLM down to about 10 percent. I'm thinking of keeping on with that product, maybe changing when the monitor hits 20%. The car had over 50,000 on it when I bought it and I'm continuing to run about 20,000 a year.

I live in a condo which forbids changing your own oil, so going down to Walmart to pick up some Mobil 1 is not in the plans. I can get a Maxlife change with tire rotation for a bit over $30.

Am I being penny wise and pound foolish or should I keep on keeping on?

Originally Posted By: csandste
I bought a 2014 Buick Encore a year and a half ago. Been using Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 since purchase with good results. The car now has 81,000 miles on it so is well out of warranty.

I note that the upcoming Dexos changes exclude Maxlife but (interestingly) include Durablend. Lots of oil change places in my neighborhood have Maxlife at a very attractive cost. Full synthetics cost a lot more. My assumption was always that MaxLife and Durablend were essentially the same product except for increased seal conditioners.

If I remember correctly, Valvoline was late to the Dexos party and used to state that their product met Dexos standards but that the licensing charge by GM was a ripoff. Since a high portion of Maxlife users are GM products out of warranty, I suspect that they're trying to save licensing. My experience with Maxlife has been very good. No oil usage when running the OLM down to about 10 percent. I'm thinking of keeping on with that product, maybe changing when the monitor hits 20%. The car had over 50,000 on it when I bought it and I'm continuing to run about 20,000 a year.

I live in a condo which forbids changing your own oil, so going down to Walmart to pick up some Mobil 1 is not in the plans. I can get a Maxlife change with tire rotation for a bit over $30.

Keep using the Maxlife
smile.gif

Never was a DEXOS fan myself
wink.gif

We get our syn blend and full syn oil from 55 gallon drums from valvoline/Ashland. It still says dexos approved on the lid so we keep on using it on GM cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
We get our syn blend and full syn oil from 55 gallon drums from valvoline/Ashland. It still says dexos approved on the lid so we keep on using it on GM cars.

Maxlife still meets Dexos except the 5 quart bottles. Obviously they don't want to get stuck with a bunch of Dexos bottles come September. This reinforces my belief that they're balking on paying licensing fees-- for all I know, GM is increasing these. Nothing gets cheaper.

Valvoline already has dexos1 Gen 2 licenses for a line called "Full Synthetic" (as well as Durablend), but I believe they have come out and said that they will not be getting that license for the Synpower line.

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

Some (including me) are guessing that Valvoline did not pursue dexos1 Gen 2 licenses for Synpower because its formulation would have made it difficult to pass the LSPI test, but that is only supposition (at least on my part). I don't know if the same might be true of the Maxlife line. The Valvoline product line really confuses me, I thought there was a Synpower with Maxlife line but I can't seem to find it online right now...

Given that you don't seem to have a DIT engine that is prone to LSPI, I wouldn't worry at all about dexos changes and enjoy the Maxlife.

Last edited:
"Given that you don't seem to have a DIT engine that is prone to LSPI, I wouldn't worry at all about dexos changes and enjoy the Maxlife."

I assume that if I had an LSPI incident I'd hear it-- like a real bad knock, right?

I would stick with the MaxLife without worry, but as far as your OCI, what type of driving do you do (short tripping or more long trips, etc)? How many miles do you typically have on the oil at 10 percent OLM?

Originally Posted By: ejes
I would stick with the MaxLife without worry, but as far as your OCI, what type of driving do you do (short tripping or more long trips, etc)? How many miles do you typically have on the oil at 10 percent OLM?

I'm retired so not commuting, but St. Louis is a very low density metro area. In addition, we take several 1000+ mile trips a year, 20,000 annually. OLM usually goes about 65-7500 miles before hitting 10%.

Originally Posted By: ejes

I'm retired so not commuting, but St. Louis is a very low density metro area. In addition, we take several 1000+ mile trips a year, 20,000 annually. OLM usually goes about 65-7500 miles before hitting 10%.

I'd say you're good as is.

Run any oil approved for your car that you are happy with.

I wouldn't waste money on buying ANYTHING special when you are changing when the monitor hits 20%.

"Given that you don't seem to have a DIT engine that is prone to LSPI, I wouldn't worry at all about dexos changes and enjoy the Maxlife."

I assume that if I had an LSPI incident I'd hear it-- like a real bad knock, right?

I think mild LSPI would be audible just like spark knock, but I'm honestly not 100% sure about that...the air-fuel charge is firing ahead of the spark in both cases, so I'd think they'd make similar sounds.

I looked up the Encore to make sure I knew what I was talking about and it looks like 1.4l turbo did not use direct injection until 2016, but you might want to check me on that. Direct Injection Turbo (DIT) engines seems to be the ones that have the potential for LSPI problems. The one in my Forester was recalled because of LSPI!

The direct injection engine added quite a few horsepower and didn't come out until '16. Having turbo and d.i. but not in the same car, I suspect that would add quite a bit of stress to an engine that small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back