The Future is Here, Today. (Headlights)

That’s a fair point. All else being equal though, LED headlamp failing is rather an anomaly than a norm. Unless there are quality control issues, an LED headlamp should last a lifetime of the vehicle. Even a lowly Toyota Corolla come standard with them from factory, since 2018 or thereabouts.

Quick googling shows that LED headlights are *supposed* to last 30,000–50,000 hours. Let’s take 30,000 hours. At an average speed of 30 mph, 30k hours equals to 900,000 miles of travel. At 15 mph average speed, it’s still 450,000 miles driven before failure. That’s many years of service!

Of course, some headlights will fail sooner and some will last longer. Let’s assume you are unlucky and your specimen fails after only 10k hours. At an average speed of 30 mph during vehicle’s lifetime, that is still 300,000 miles traveled before a headlight assembly needs replacement. How much money would be saved over 300,000 miles by not changing halogen light bulbs? Probably enough to cover the cost of a new headlight assembly(?)

Just thinking out loud
It's not the diodes themselves but the circuitry, stepper motors, etc. located behind them which can fail prematurely.

Anecdote: I have Xenon (HID) lights on my 4 series. For 8 years I always kept them in the fixed position rather than the "automatic" which would allow them to turn on/off automatically as well as rotate the bulb from left to right. I did this because I wanted to preserve the life of the motors so they remained functional when I decided to sell the car. Last year out of habit my wife turned them on "automatic" and I got an error for a failing motor. :rolleyes:

I was talking about the headlight bulbs NOT the tailight..
Gotcha, you were also talking about halogen and not LED. I got confused. In any event, the average for a halogen bulb is 2,000 hours. Some will last more, some less. 2,000 hours at 30 mph average over a life of a vehicle is every 60,000 miles (roughly).

Gotcha, you were also talking about halogen and not LED. I got confused. In any event, the average for a halogen bulb is 2,000 hours. Some will last more, some less. 2,000 hours at 30 mph average over a life of a vehicle is every 60,000 miles (roughly).
well mine lasted much longer than that...

It's not the diodes themselves but the circuitry, stepper motors, etc. located behind them which can fail prematurely.

Yes. But basic led headlights (like on a Corolla) don't have moving parts, and, if actively cooled, the life will also depend on a fan's life, but these are long lasting as well. A proper design, which is most of them, will last for years and years. I'd guess, 9 out of 10 times it'll outlive the car itself

Yes, but how many bulbs did it have replaced since 1988?
In that vehicle, the left tail light bulb, and the left front signal light. I keep a very detailed maintenance log. As far as changing those bulbs in pairs, it appears there was no need too, the last bulb I changed in it was just shy of ten years ago.

Reactions: hrv
In that vehicle, the left tail light bulb, and the left front signal light. I keep a very detailed maintenance log. As far as changing those bulbs in pairs, it appears there was no need too, the last bulb I changed in it was just shy of ten years ago.

That truck uses halogen bulbs for tail lights? I'm confused. We are talking about headlights that are 45 watts or higher. Taillights use low wattage incandescent bulbs, which last longer. Even more true for turn signals.

Are you saying that your truck is running on original halogen headlight bulbs from 1988? 😆

That truck uses halogen bulbs for tail lights? I'm confused. We are talking about headlights that are 45 watts or higher. Taillights use low wattage incandescent bulbs, which last longer. Even more true for turn signals.

Are you saying that your truck is running on original halogen headlight bulbs from 1988? 😆
The bulbs are original, except for the bulbs I mentioned I changed. The headlights are what it rolled off the assembly line with. Nice and cheap, low tech, and they don't blind people unless I use the high beams.

I never see cars with one LED headlight burned out. I’m sure failures happen, but LEDs, all else being equal last A LOT longer than the halogen. And wasn’t halogen in its time mega expensive option vs regular incandescent lights?
If they are designed and made right yes. To build them right cost a lot of money, and therefore the cheap way to go is still halogen lamp in cheaper cars, even if you have to replace them every 6 years. Plus they need replacement in accidents regardless of how durable they are.

I wish they are made more fault tolerant with standardized "bulb", across the entire front end like a light bar, so you can simplify this "digital light" thing without costing too much.

Halogen bulbs were around in the 70s and became very common by the early 80s...Even my 1974 BMW motorcycle had a halogen headlight bulb....

Audi Has had image displaying light technology for at least 6 years. It was only implemented on the Etron in 2019 though so it depends if you are talking about capability to do something or when it was actually first used in production vehicles.

I was at an Audi tech seminar where it’s was being discussed as a finished product in 2017.

A3 daytime running lights can burn the end of the plastic light bar inside the headlight causing the light output to yellow and be reduced. This is seams to happen at either high miles or older cars. They use a SMD LED and the heat burns the plastic.

I’ve seen a A8 with rear OLED lights with a failed side light LED. You could hardly see fault on the light when looking for it but it caused a warning on the dash. That’s a £3500 part and Audi gave no goodwill from the factory for the repair.

I don't know much about headlights but I am sick and tired of the newer headlights blinding me at night when I drive. I don't understand how NHTSA can consider them safe. Sure they help the driver see but oncoming traffic is blinded.

I don't know much about headlights but I am sick and tired of the newer headlights blinding me at night when I drive. I don't understand how NHTSA can consider them safe. Sure they help the driver see but oncoming traffic is blinded.
I agree I see the same thing...although I am not sure if some are people that install LED to replace a halogen bulb...but yes they are getting too bright and also many have there headlight adjusted wrong too...

Yes. But basic led headlights (like on a Corolla) don't have moving parts, and, if actively cooled, the life will also depend on a fan's life, but these are long lasting as well. A proper design, which is most of them, will last for years and years. I'd guess, 9 out of 10 times it'll outlive the car itself
Proper design takes $$

You forgot to mention how newer LED headlights are VIN encoded, so you need to go to the dealer for programming.,
The Germans love to do this. How about a $700 core charge on a $80 temperature sensor. Part prices are getting ridiculous.

Back