The Future is Here, Today. (Headlights)

Who could have thought headlights could get to this level 15 years ago? I remember thinking around 2008 that HIDs are the end of the road for headlight technology for a foreseeable future. Then a few years later LEDs started to defuse through the automotive landscape, and I thought: “how could I not have foreseen that” - haha; and that now, for sure no new advancements are possible until 2050. Yet here we are and it’s bonkers. In 5-10 years, these systems will be available on “Corollas” and “Elantras” of the world.

Who needs headlights when your car has night vision.

115.JPG

I think Audi's system debuted in 2006

Audi released their variant in 2019. There was no digital matrix technology back in 2006 and no necessary powerful CPUs. 2006 was a Windows XP era and 1080p hasn’t been yet too ubiquitous 😁

Last edited:
Audi released their variant in 2019. There was no matrix technology back in 2006 and no necessary powerful CPUs. 2006 was a Windows XP era and 1080p hasn’t been yet too ubiquitous 😁

No, I know for sure that this stuff goes back way farther than 2019.

BMW had a system a decade ago.

No, I know for sure that this stuff goes back way farther than 2019.

BMW had a system a decade ago.

If I were you, I wouldn’t 100% rely on your memory 😁. Human memory is very flawed 😉

Here, from Audi.com — digital matrix light debuted at 2019 LA Auto show:

IMG_2019.jpeg

First Audi car to have LED matrix tech was 2013. The video posted above is next generation compared to that system. There was no such systems in 2006 on Audis or in 2007 on Lexuses

IMG_2020.jpeg

IMG_2021.jpeg

Lexus came out with LEDs in 2007. I remember writing an estimate for one headlight on an LX and it was $5000 at the time.
LED in that form was nothing new. Many companies skipped it as it couldn’t match HiD. Even today regular LED are no match for HiD.
This Matrix, Laser from BMW etc. are serious step up. Problem are regulations in the US. BMW can’t bring full laser lights from Europe.

So you've got the car bouncing and the headlights compensating in an anti-bounce. To me this sounds like a good recipe for car-sickness.
Sounds like a Victorian claim to me from 170 years ago that riding on a train (novelty at the time) could cause one to lose his mind 😁. I’m pretty sure someone thought about, considered, and taken into account the point you are raising, and all is good on that front
IMG_2400.jpeg
IMG_2401.jpeg

I wonder how much it will cost to replace when it fails? LED lights today cost a small fortune to replace when they fail and with the amount of newer cars I see with one LED headlight out or dim they seem to have a high failure rate.

I'm happy with simple, reliable, inexpensive Halogen headlights...

Shouldn't the plural form of that be Lexi? The etymology of word is from the Latin 'lexus', what the Romans called their fastest and most ornate chariots. Therfore the proper term meaning two or more must be lexi. Mazda had the same confusion with a model years ago named the 'Millenia' which except it is spelled incorrectly, is actually more than one. Should have been named the 'Millennium' which is singular. Now not so clear what to call more than one Nissan Leaf.

lexi
chariots.jpg

Last edited:
That is pretty cool. As mentioned, I wonder how long the trickle down process will take, before a stripped down version will be available in most cars.

Re. BMW, didn't they introduce a laser based headlight systems a few years ago? I thought that was their latest headlight technology, for their premium models.

That is pretty cool. As mentioned, I wonder how long the trickle down process will take, before a stripped down version will be available in most cars.

Re. BMW, didn't they introduce a laser based headlight systems a few years ago? I thought that was their latest headlight technology, for their premium models.
Yeah, they were doing laser for 10yrs. First on some niche models, and it truckled down.
BMW introduced HiD in 1991, and it never trickled down to some companies, or they kept HiD reserved for several models only.

I wonder how much it will cost to replace when it fails? LED lights today cost a small fortune to replace when they fail and with the amount of newer cars I see with one LED headlight out or dim they seem to have a high failure rate.

I'm happy with simple, reliable, inexpensive Halogen headlights...
When this type of technology is being installed in a $120k+ car, I suspect the price of replacement headlights isn't a huge concern. AT least not to the original owners. Perhaps when some poor schmuck (like me) buys a 10 year old S class, it might be a real financial hit if a headlight ever needs replacement. But if the LED headlights in my E350 are any indicator, I'm not too worried. They are almost 10 years old now and performing like they were brand new. Not like the halogen bulbs in your car, which loose about 7% of intensity each year.

Before similar technology reaches the Buicks and Lexus type brands, it will have to be much more affordable.

Back