The Future is Here, Today. (Headlights)

I like the KISS headlight... Keep It Simple Stupid....:D

What about fuel delivery, do you like the KISS version (basic carburetor) or a computer controlled, complicated, costly to service fuel injection?

How about your brakes, KISS (drums) or more expensive disk set ups with ABS? ⏳

Do you really need power brakes and power steering? 😁

If you’re going to be principled, you’ve got to remain all the way or none at all 😉

As someone “stuck” with crappy headlights in a semi-rural area, these new LED’s are beyond annoying. One’s eyesight tends to accommodate. My dim headlights means my pupils get real big driving in the dark—only to have my eyesight zapped by every oncoming car.

I get you mate as far your post in its totality. However, would like to say about the above quoted quibble of yours that it may be analogous to driving a malaise era sloppy-suspensioned car with 0-60 time of 20 seconds and then be aggravated that it is not a comfortable experience on modern freeways where most of the cars are 7 seconds or less, and are driving, maneuvering, changing lanes and so on at 70-85 mph with one finger on the steering wheel, sipping coffee and talking on the phone, while you feel like you are trying to manually dock a 1960s Soviet space ship to an orbital station. 😁

But do I understand and sympathize with your quibble 🙂

What about fuel delivery, do you like the KISS version (basic carburetor) or a computer controlled, complicated, costly to service fuel injection?

How about your brakes, KISS (drums) or more expensive disk set ups with ABS? ⏳

Do you really need power brakes and power steering? 😁

If you’re going to be principled, you’ve got to remain all the way or none at all 😉
I actually did like carbs...My 440 ran well with the 780 holley and then a six pack...As far as brakes front disc rear drums seem to stop me OK..

I actually did like carbs...My 440 ran well with the 780 holley and then a six pack...As far as brakes front disc rear drums seem to stop me OK..

So if there were used cars with carburetors you'd seek them out when it was time to purchase a new ride and not go for complex, computer-controlled fuel injection variants, correct?

As to front disc... is it not against KISS principle? Disk brakes are more complex, costlier set up vs drums..

So if there were used cars with carburetors you'd seek them out when it was time to purchase a new ride and not go for complex, computer-controlled fuel injection variants, correct?

As to front disc... is it not against KISS principle? Disk brakes are more complex, costlier set up vs drums..
Heck ya.. If I could afford a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T or a 1973 Plymouth Road Runner I would get it and drive it...

I see them failed on ford and jeeps around my area the most but seen others VW, H/K with them out, flickering, or dim. At one time two new cop ford suvs had a blown out led headlight in the town next to me, they weren’t fixed for a couple of weeks, probably waiting on parts.

I don’t remember which brand it is but the pickup trucks that has the vertical line of dots as DRLs seems to have one or more not illuminating.

Heck ya.. If I could afford a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T or a 1973 Plymouth Road Runner I would get it and drive it...

Haha - so a KISS vehicle is unfordable to you, but a non-KISS one is, yet you still want a KISS vehicle because.... because why? What's the advantage of a KISS vehicle over a non-KISS? 😀

I wonder how much it will cost to replace when it fails? LED lights today cost a small fortune to replace when they fail and with the amount of newer cars I see with one LED headlight out or dim they seem to have a high failure rate.

I'm happy with simple, reliable, inexpensive Halogen headlights...
Hid are brighter last longer and have a more neutral color plus the bulb is easy to replace. I would jump at the ability to see further and easier than halogen bulbs allow.

Those are also headlights for a vehicle that starts at $115,000. You can get the factory LED headlights for a 2022 Corolla for under $300 each on ebay.

Indeed. @StarCaller, fancy, but for C lass, which is a $40k+ car, used LED lights are $830 vs $2,900 used lights for S class
1683311012642.png

Haha - so a KISS vehicle is unfordable to you, but a non-KISS one is, yet you still want a KISS vehicle because.... because why? What's the advantage of a KISS vehicle over a non-KISS? 😀
Well if you dont get it I cant help you...The names of the two vehicles I mention should sum it up along with the 1970 Hemi Cuda..A great time to be growing up.. I just wish I was a few years older then so I could have purchased one of those...

Well if you dont get it I cant help you...The names of the two vehicles I mention should sum it up along with the 1970 Hemi Cuda..A great time to be growing up.. I just wish I was a few years older then so I could have purchased one of those...

No, no - I got the reference. Cool car it was for sure! I was just trying the see if the logic of your supposition (about KISS) was sound or not and whether you apply it selectively or sequentially ;) :)

Reactions: hrv
No, no - I got the reference. Cool car it was for sure! I was just trying the see if the logic of your supposition (about KISS) was sound or not and whether you apply it selectively or sequentially ;) :)
as far as headlights..bring back sealbeams.... they worked fine and did not cost a arm and a leg to replace...Plus you were able to do it yourself..with a screwdriver...some cars now it is major surgery just to get to the bulb...

as far as headlights..bring back sealbeams.... they worked fine and did not cost a arm and a leg to replace...Plus you were able to do it yourself..with a screwdriver...some cars now it is major surgery just to get to the bulb...

Quick googling shows that LED headlights are *supposed* to last 30,000–50,000 hours. Let’s take 30,000 hours. At an average speed of 30 mph, 30k hours equals to 900,000 miles of travel. At 15 mph average speed, it’s still 450,000 miles driven before failure. That’s many years of service!

Of course, some headlights will fail sooner and some will last longer. Let’s assume you are unlucky and your specimen fails after only 10k hours. At an average speed of 30 mph during vehicle’s lifetime, that is still 300,000 miles traveled before a headlight assembly needs replacement. How much money would be saved over 300,000 miles by not changing halogen light bulbs? Probably enough to cover the cost of a new headlight assembly(?)

Do you know what is the typical lifespan of a halogen headlight, in hours?

Quick googling shows that LED headlights are *supposed* to last 30,000–50,000 hours. Let’s take 30,000 hours. At an average speed of 30 mph, 30k hours equals to 900,000 miles of travel. At 15 mph average speed, it’s still 450,000 miles driven before failure. That’s many years of service!

Of course, some headlights will fail sooner and some will last longer. Let’s assume you are unlucky and your specimen fails after only 10k hours. At an average speed of 30 mph during vehicle’s lifetime, that is still 300,000 miles traveled before a headlight assembly needs replacement. How much money would be saved over 300,000 miles by not changing halogen light bulbs? Probably enough to cover the cost of a new headlight assembly(?)

Do you know what is the typical lifespan of a halogen headlight, in hours?
well my 2007 honda accord lasted 6 years before I had to replace them...actually only one burnt out..but replaced as a set...and when I traded the car in in may of 2021..it had those second set in...the car had 386000 miles on it... so I would say the bulbs lasted a long time..

well my 2007 honda accord lasted 6 years before I had to replace them...actually only one burnt out..but replaced as a set...and when I traded the car in in may of 2021..it had those second set in...the car had 386000 miles on it... so I would say the bulbs lasted a long time..
I have the original headlights on my 88 E-150. They're cheap and easy to replace when the time comes.

it was the tail light that failed, one with multiple leds in? did the whole assembly failed or just one led within the assembly went off?

Back