The Fram TG now has a nitrile ADBV?

Silicone doesn't have to be orange so the idea that ADBVs that aren't orange can't be silicone is not true.
The idea that if it's black it isn't silicone is also untrue.
This company explains it and will sell you silicone rubber that will meet your performance requirements in a rainbow of colors.
Stockwell Elastomerics

Reactions: hrv
It was kind of an inside joke, lol. There have been only 2 "black" ADBVs to be shown to be silicone. And one was kind of a greenish black color if seen in strong light.

The black ADBV on the Frams are nitrile.

Thank you! I genuinely appreciate the info. I made my choice yesterday because the box was open and I was able to see the Orange. I got chided a little bit on threads.. I saw no burr, so, I was happy. That's where I am at with that.

So I overpaid.

I thought I was going midrange.. unless the Orange can has Nitrile ADBV and the last thing I'd like to know is if there is honestly any difference on an Nitrile vs Silicone ADBV, at least on a filter in this orientation: (bottom end down?)

20220625_143620.jpg

Silicone doesn't have to be orange so the idea that ADBVs that aren't orange can't be silicone is not true.
The idea that if it's black it isn't silicone is also untrue.
This company explains it and will sell you silicone rubber that will meet your performance requirements in a rainbow of colors.
Stockwell Elastomerics
Nobody ever said that a black ADBV has to be nitrile. There are a number of threads discussing all this, and proof that there are a few black silicone ADBVs out there. But the black ADBVs in the Frams are not silicone.

Thank you! I genuinely appreciate the info. I made my choice yesterday because the box was open and I was able to see the Orange. I got chided a little bit on threads.. I saw no burr, so, I was happy. That's where I am at with that.

So I overpaid.

I thought I was going midrange.. unless the Orange can has Nitrile ADBV and the last thing I'd like to know is if there is honestly any difference on an Nitrile vs Silicone ADBV, at least on a filter in this orientation: (bottom end down?)

View attachment 105246
The TG is apparently a 15k mile filter. I personally would not run nitrile for that long. I could be wrong, but I think the Extra Guard was upgraded to a 10k mile filter only after it received a silicone ADBV.

Supply chain issues or not, you cant just use a lesser component and call it the same product. They also are charging the same. Somewhat shady IMO.

I chose to take my money elsewhere.

The TG is apparently a 15k mile filter. I personally would not run nitrile for that long. I could be wrong, but I think the Extra Guard was upgraded to a 10k mile filter only after it received a silicone ADBV.

Supply chain issues or not, you cant just use a lesser component and call it the same product. They also are charging the same. Somewhat shady IMO.

I chose to take my money elsewhere.
Look for the fine print that some products have that say "specifications can change without notice".

Nobody ever said that a black ADBV has to be nitrile. There are a number of threads discussing all this, and proof that there are a few black silicone ADBVs out there. But the black ADBVs in the Frams are not silicone.
It was in reference to people looking for orange before buying. The inference many have is that black is probably not silicone,. However, looking tells you nothing, just like dark oil isn't necessarily used up.

View attachment 105246
Even if the filter is mounted verticle with the base up, the ADBV will hold all the oil in the galleries above the filter from draining down and out of the oil galleries.

Even if the filter is mounted verticle with the base up, the ADBV will hold all the oil in the galleries above the filter from draining down and out of the oil galleries.

Ahh. Okay, so that there is always oil closest the engine whether it is bottom end up or down.

It was in reference to people looking for orange before buying. The inference many have is that black is probably not silicone,. However, looking tells you nothing, just like dark oil isn't necessarily used up.
Traditionally with oil filters however, that inference is correct, and the testing we've done on here has verified that. As @ZeeOSix noted, we've had several threads on it, which included testing from members, when we started seeing black ADBV's showing up in filters that had previously had orange ones.

While some company may make black silicone ADBV's, they would be quite uncommon, most of them are orange (there's also purple, red, blue). The nitrile ones are universally black.

Because I BBQ them with a little mustard based sauce and they taste great with just a hint of silicone flavor..and they taste great.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
😄 ... that's the wrong test, no wonder you can't tell. ;)

Ahh. Okay, so that there is always oil closest the engine whether it is bottom end up or down.
The goal of the ADBV is to help keep all oil that would normally drain back to the sump (if no ADBV) in the oiling system at all times the engine is not running ... regardless of the orientation of the oil filter.

If Fram has orange ADBV's that they install on the lower priced EG filters they should use them on the higher priced TG filters and use the black ADBV's on the EG's. Perception is important and I perceive the black ADBV's to be inferior.

Traditionally with oil filters however, that inference is correct, and the testing we've done on here has verified that. As @ZeeOSix noted, we've had several threads on it, which included testing from members, when we started seeing black ADBV's showing up in filters that had previously had orange ones.

While some company may make black silicone ADBV's, they would be quite uncommon, most of them are orange (there's also purple, red, blue). The nitrile ones are universally black.
I'm not arguing with you guys. I understand all that and followed all the threads.
Just an hypothetical illustrating that relying on color without checking what the manufacturer claims isn't 100% guarantee it is or isn't silicone.

I'm not arguing with you guys. I understand all that and followed all the threads.
Just an hypothetical illustrating that relying on color without checking what the manufacturer claims isn't 100% guarantee it is or isn't silicone.
Sure, the issue I think is that when a manufacturer claims one thing, but testing proves another (in this case, due to the supply shortage).

Not all filter manufacterers specifically say what the ADBV material is.

Back