TGMO 0W20 vs. M1 0W20 EP ?

I know Toyota Service Centers tout their own formulation of synthetic TGMO 0W20 oil , however M1 0W20 EP on roll back at WM is a bit less expensive ... In a 2020 Corolla 1.8L with a 10K mile max OCI will I be giving up anything in the way of performance / protection using M1 0W20 EP versus the TGMO 0W20 ?

I'm not sure anyone has posted a VOA of TGMO recently (assuming SP formulation is available and different).
TGMO used to be regarded very highly, but most oils are starting to look very similar.
I would personally use M1 EP.

Put whatever you want in it, not like you'd really have to worry about engine issues with that car anyway. You can even go to a 5w-30 without ill effect if you want. The European manual for that exact 1.8L goes to a 40 grade.

Go for M1 EP, Platinum, or the new Valvoline extended protection that just came out not the older advanced that's been around.

I'd personally try the new Valvoline extended protection since its the new thing and i doubt it's bad. Saw it at my wallys so you probably will too. Was $22 so in between M1 an platinum. Get it in a 20 or a 30 if you're feeling energetic and adventurous tonight.

Any oil with the proper ratings from a major producer will allow the engine to outlast your ownership of the vehicle. I have seen many vehicles serviced with Jiffy lube oil and filters go 350,000 + miles.

Why would anyone need caution running an API SP oil from Valvoline? In a Corolla?.....

Sure you can run any 0w-20 API oil in Corrola. But what is the advantage of picking “new” product on the market vs well established given the same price point?

Back