Testing GM's Oil Life Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mercedes Benz's OLM called FSS plus displays miles to next service, although what is displayed is not very accuarate since the system deducts miles at a different rate depending on whether the engine is cold or warm. I recently reset the FSS and the system asks whether a Standard oil (which I think means MB spec 229.3) or if a 229.5 oil was used, and adjusts the interval accordingly. I read on a technical website that the engine variables monitored include the crankshaft positon sensor, an oil level, quality and temp sensor, and the coolant temperature.

quote:

From what I have read the GM OLM is pretty accurate. The question is how accurate is it after 8-15 years?

Since it's using a calculated data product that's provided by the ECU, it should be just fine unless you're driving around with a check engine light. The trouble will come when the engines start to get excessive blow by, internal coolant leaks, etc. I don't see any way the current system could account for things like that.

Tripleseven-"I've always been a premature oil changer. I'll typically run 3K dinos - 5K blends & a 7K Mobil-1 synthetic in the Colorado 4X4 with the OLM."

I do 5k-dino, 7500 synblends, 10k full syn
smile.gif

quote:

unless you're driving around with a check engine light

One of the things the ECU keeps track of is how many miles the car has been driven with the check engine light on.

...which might be pretty useful information to have when the customer is in your dealership demanding that you replace their out-of-warranty catalytic convertor for free.

"Well, sir, it appears you've ignored the check engine light for 12,659 miles and during that time the engine was misfiring, causing the cat to fail. Have a nice day."

Hey guys, I always love these posts about the OLM on GM vehicles. My current vehicle that Ive had for going on 2 years, a 2002 Envoy SLT. Currently 80,250 miles (give or take a few miles).

I have the DIC (Driver Info Center) and I have the "% oil life remaining" display. I also have the light that will come on when it reaches 10% "change oil soon" that will illuminate the light on the dash and everytime you start the Envoy, it will display on the Info center also.

Anyways, my point is, and I do have on is that I use Motorcraft 5w-30 Syn-Blend and a purolator oil filter. I usually change my oil at 50% oil life remaining, which is around 4,000 miles.

Ive never let it go below 30%. I just changed it yesterday morning and it was at 38%. 5,005 miles on that oil change. For those not familiar, the 4.2L GM engine in the Envoy/TB/etc takes 7qts of oil.

I gotta say - To each his own. Some people follow the OLM down to 0%, some people dont follow it at all and go by the 3,000 mile rule. We all have our own maintenance schedules that we like to follow. Some seem anal, some seem lax. Hey, as long as we are finding good deals on good quality oils and oil filters who cares?
grin.gif
Cant we just all get along
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back