Tesla sales and orders are killing it...

I find it hard to believe that apartment dwellers will be spending $60K on a car. When a Nissan Sentra (same size as a Model 3) goes for $20k.
Multi-family means apartments and condos. Plenty of those residents pay that kind of money today for new trucks and SUV's. Besides what makes you think they'll be $60k? The Nissan Leaf currently goes for about half that. Eventually a used car market will develop for all the more expensive models.

Multi-family means apartments and condos. Plenty of those residents pay that kind of money today for new trucks and SUV's. Besides what makes you think they'll be $60k? The Nissan Leaf currently goes for about half that. Eventually a used car market will develop for all the more expensive models.
You will see charging capability in condos and even apartments. It is happenening here now. Dwellers are asking for it and landlords use it as a marketing ploy. The other biggie around here is charging at work for a subsidized rate or even free. It is somewhat common for perspective job applicants to ask for it.
Personally I would not own an EV if I could not charge at home.
By the way, getting a dedicated 240V line can be pretty pricey if your service box is not a 200A level. Thousands...

I love them (made a whole thread on them), but the iX is hideous, lol (also made a thread on that). A high performance EV with a proper HUD, leather, and interior appointments that one expects at that price point, I think the i4 is going to be a big hit.
You will notice I did not post pics, or even mention the iX. Lord that thing is ugly. With the tailgate up, it looks like an AMC Pacer. [barf] Not to mention the “secondary tail lights” that are UNDERNEATH the tailgate. *** BMW? Although the heated door panels is pretty neat.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that apartment dwellers will be spending $60K on a car. When a Nissan Sentra (same size as a Model 3) goes for $20k.
What does living in a condo/apartment have anything to do with the car you drive? Our building is filled with BMW/Audi/MB and Porsche.

Well, there is a reason the Leaf is so cheap, and still nobody is buying them anymore.

We don't know what Tesla did or did not ask for. Of course other companies are entitled to the same subsidies however not all of them were in a position to take advantage of them nor could they afford it. Tesla had no choice but to build out it's own charging network and frankly it's not that impressive given that the equipment is comparatively inexpensive and it's a matter of just tapping into the existing grid.

As for "big brother" building it for them.. The industry doesn't need big brother to build it but it makes zero financial sense for every automaker to have their own unique charging stations. They could easily agree on a standard just like any other association (i.e. VESA, ACEA, USB-IF, etc) and move on from there.
Wow, you threw me with your thoughts on this post.
There is zero evidence that Musk asked for subsidies.
You say Tesla had no choice to build a charging network and then say other car companies don't have to? Not that impressive? I guess I have not heard it put that way... Quite the opposite according to analysts and owners. Tesla's charging network is a revenue stream as it opens up to other makes, and it will allow those other makes to sell cars.

Interesting point-of-view... All good.

Next to the downtown Sunnyvale they build some "luxury" apartments next to the CalTrain station. Last I saw they were renting for $3k (studio) to $6k (3 bedroom), to people commuting to San Francisco who wants a nicer area or mid way between SF and San Jose or other local tech companies. So, maybe a dual income tech couple saving up for their first house (2-3M)? I see lots of Tesla as it is next to a Target with 8 or 10 stall for Supercharger.

One of my tenant ($3300 rent) bought a Model X, dual income work from home, no way to charge in the apartment parking. They charge when they go grocery shopping. I don't think he is saving money with an EV but hey, if they are happy good for them.

One coworker charge his Model 3 at the mall next to his apartment once a week. He is saving up for a down payment but he doesn't want kids ever (he and his wife both have health problems and won't live past 60).

Next to the downtown Sunnyvale they build some "luxury" apartments next to the CalTrain station. Last I saw they were renting for $3k (studio) to $6k (3 bedroom), to people commuting to San Francisco who wants a nicer area or mid way between SF and San Jose or other local tech companies. So, maybe a dual income tech couple saving up for their first house (2-3M)? I see lots of Tesla as it is next to a Target with 8 or 10 stall for Supercharger.
I went to high school in Sunnyvale, Peterson High. My home in Los Gatos was always worth more than my folks home, until a year or so ago. Sunnyvale has skyrocketed; it is such a great location. Of course I live in the poor part of LG and they were in the best part of Sunnyvale, so there's that.
I'll stay in my end of town, thank you very much.

I love it here... South Bay ROCKS!

Not so sure I agree... Tesla did not ask for or lobby for subsidies. Having said this, other companies are entitled to the same subsidies; Tesla is not unique. And remember, Tesla built its own charging network; who else has? Looks like big brother will do it for them...

The point of my post was to keep politics out of BITOG.
I was not malicious and only serious and curious, what was your point of the original post? Not that many posts on this thing here have to have a point, that’s clear. Just actually wondering.

I was not malicious and only serious and curious, what was your point of the original post? Not that many posts on this thing here have to have a point, that’s clear. Just actually wondering.
Tesla YOY growth for the month of January. I generally put the topic in my 1st line as well as the thread title.

Last edited:
Tesla showed a whopping 49 percent year-over-year sales growth in the US for the month of January.

Three Tesla models topped the list of BEV sales in the US in January, with Model Y registrations at 18,549 (36.8% of all BEVs) and Model 3 at 13,604 (27% of all BEVs). For comparison, Ford Mustang Mach-E sales fit into the 4th slot with 2,781 registrations, behind the Tesla Model S' 3,903.

Orders are reported to be up 100% in some US areas. Too bad they are production constrained.
Tesla already couldn't possibly keep up with the demand for its vehicles, and it has been raising prices and pushing back estimated delivery times on a regular basis over the last year or more. Just this week, the automaker raised prices and pushed back wait times yet again.

The 2 factories are pumping out cars and continue to expand. Austin and Berlin will still take months to ramp.

More here: InsideEVs

If they have enough semiconductor supply to max their production they could likely sell 10 times last year's sales if they had capacity in the current market. They could announce they are going all IC tomorrow and the market will still all they can produce.

The standard 2022 Leaf will go about 100 miles on the highway if one is careful. And at nearly $30K, it's still considerably more than a $20K Sentra that can go 450 miles on the highway. The fact remains, getting real EV range requires spending lots of money.

Not disagreeing, but I know some highly compensated individuals who are employed by companies that move them ever year or 2; they don't buy homes.

The standard 2022 Leaf will go about 100 miles on the highway if one is careful. And at nearly $30K, it's still considerably more than a $20K Sentra that can go 450 miles on the highway. The fact remains, getting real EV range requires spending lots of money.
Well, maybe milti unit housing should get prepared for the $25K Tesla?
Heck, maybe Elon's already doing it? He whack!

Back