Tell us about that vehicle that you loved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Subaru STi

Spinning up all four tires off the line at autocrosses.

Stomping on the go-pedal coming out of turns and feeling the rear of the car drift wide as the front tires hook and pull the front of the car through. It was an unnatural feeling... it was like cheating. It could make any amateur feel like Richard Burns.

I'll always think fondly of my first car, the '75 Ford Maverick sedan with the larger (!) six-cylinder. After years of buses and begging rides from friends, to have a car -- and a new one at that! -- was heaven. I learned a great deal about how to care for cars with that one.

My '86 Mercedes 420SEL was a gem. We explored eastern Colorado, northern New Mexico, and even up to Cheyenne, Wyoming, and then back down here to The Swamp, where it was totalled while parked at the age of 18 years/198K miles. If cars are like pets, that was one that died far too young.

The '03 Buick Park Avenue, the current car, is another gem. I love the blue-green instrument lights, and the thoughtfully-designed gadgets like the compass built into the rear view mirror, and the readouts of the oil life and the coolant temp. It's like flying a motorized cloud on smooth roads, and the car is more composed than I am on bad ones. It was inexpensive to buy, and has been cheap to insure, to repair, and to run (30 mpg highway on regular). Heck, I still turn and look back at it approvingly when I'm walking away from it -- and I've been driving it for six years!

1971 K5 Blazer. I got it for free from a guy transfering. 500 bucks and it was on the road again. A monster. Locked front and rear. Removable top. 350 4 speed with granny low.

The other would have been my omni GLH. It was totaled back in 1997. Awesome little car. The original turbo pocket rocket!!

'63 Chevy Corvair Spyder, red, two-door, rag-top, with a turbo and 4-speed. It wasn't all that fast, but it was fun and different.

'68 International Harvester Scout, red (w/white top), very small V8, a 3-speed tranny (and the usual transfer case & locking hubs), oh, and vacuum powered windshield wipers. A sturdy little thing, it was fun and different.

Probably just because they were cars of my youth, but I'd be tickled to drive either one again...

BMW 318ti Club Sport..first nice new car that I bought (along w/ a Wrangler for Winter) when the career started to hit stride. Had all sorts of fun w/ it and gave it to my Father a few years later when he retired. He loved it and held onto it until he could no longer drive, it gave its' all keeping them both alive when it was totaled in a pretty bad wreck.

S2000..most all the fun of the affordable European toys w/ absolute ease of ownership; Lotus fun/Honda reliability-how do you top that? Got temporarily relo'd to Silicon Valley for a few years and was in corporate housing so we wanted something open and fun that I would not have to do heavy maintenance on. This fit the bill..and was an absolute blast to drive and I loved the conservative (for a Japanese sports car) look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back