2024 Corolla Corolla GR and Land Cruiser observations

I dropped the Tundra off to change the front/rear diff, transmission, and transfer case fluids and they had a 2024 GR Corolla and a Land Cruiser in the showroom.

Surprisingly, the GR Corolla was very comfortable and without a moon or sunroof I had no problem fitting comfortably in it at 6'5". I had to slide the seat forward a bit to be able to push the clutch in all the way. It's a tempting small play car since it has a 6-speed manual although it doesn't feel like a $45k vehicle.

The Land Cruiser is MUCH smaller than I thought. With the driver's seat positioned comfortably, there was still just barely enough headroom and no one would be able to sit behind me in that position. The dash is also busy. Don't get me wrong, all the surfaces were nice and it's a nice interior, just small and busy. This was an $80K vehicle that I'd be hard-pressed to fit three maybe four family members in for a long trip (they'd have to cram behind my 5'2" wife but all my children are over 6'1").

Just food for thought if anyone was considering either vehicle. I may test drive one of their GR Corollas just for fun and to get behind the wheel of a stick after about 15 years.

The corolla is such an awesome concept. AWD hot hatch for someone that want's to daily something fun that's usable. But to beat the dead horse $40k+ for a compact hatch is just too much. Ruins the whole idea for me.
The GR Corolla I sat in was a Premium trim for $45,350 and they also have a Circuit Edition trim for $49,500. I did not inquire but my guess is those are holding at MSRP.

Edit - Yeah the GRs both have a $3,000 dealer markup and the Land Cruisers have a $5,000 dealer markup. This dealership is usually pretty good. I bought my 2020 Tundra Platinum from them at the end of Feb 2020 for $47,500 with an MSRP of roughly $55,000 with very little haggling.

Last edited:
I don't mind my Corolla, just wish they had a station wagon version. I'd take the CVT if I had to, it really doesn't bother me, but at times I do miss stick.

Mine has a lot of gray surfaces but seems so much more "cheery" than our Camry, with it's all black interior. Only thing is, insurance is expensive on it.

I don't mind my Corolla, just wish they had a station wagon version. I'd take the CVT if I had to, it really doesn't bother me, but at times I do miss stick.

Mine has a lot of gray surfaces but seems so much more "cheery" than our Camry, with it's all black interior. Only thing is, insurance is expensive on it.
Corolla Cross and Toyota Venza

Corolla Cross and Toyota Venza
Cross is CUV and Venza is, I'm not sure what, but it looks too upscale for plebian me. If I had more coin in my pocket I'd be tempted to try the Cross, as I do like my Corolla (sorta), it'd keep my vehicles similar.

Cross is CUV and Venza is, I'm not sure what, but it looks too upscale for plebian me. If I had more coin in my pocket I'd be tempted to try the Cross, as I do like my Corolla (sorta), it'd keep my vehicles similar.
I mostly meant the 2008-2017 Venza.

Station wagon and CUV is pretty close, no?

I mostly meant the 2008-2017 Venza.

Station wagon and CUV is pretty close, no?
Similar, yes, same, eh. Everyone hates on CUV's, so they must not be the same. ;)

Venza might not work for me, my goal is more utilitarian. Moving stuff. I need to plan ahead and start thinking about how to move a mobility scooter--might have a few years before I "need" to, but the newer the vehicle, the more likely it will need to do that.

I'd do a minivan but the cheap and older ones look more used up than not.

I'm a huge fan of the GR Corolla, so much so that I'm actually one of the moderators on the largest GR Corolla group on Facebook. I've always been a fan of hot hatchbacks and this is one of the last ones left out there in production right now (and the best one IMO) It reminds me a lot of the Focus RS, which is one of the greatest hot hatches of all time.

I was scratching my head about the reported lack of room in the new Landcruiser...then it dawned on me, you guys in the USA don't get the 300 Series Cruiser, I think you get a version of what the rest of the world calls the Prado - a smaller version of the Cruiser. I don't understand why Toyota doesn't send the real thing your way!

I was scratching my head about the reported lack of room in the new Landcruiser...then it dawned on me, you guys in the USA don't get the 300 Series Cruiser, I think you get a version of what the rest of the world calls the Prado - a smaller version of the Cruiser. I don't understand why Toyota doesn't send the real thing your way!
We do get it; we just call it the Lexus LX600.

The last generation Land Cruiser was "Full-size" and basically the same as the Lexus LX. This generation Land Cruiser is really the Toyota Prado/Lexus GX and it's mid-size at best.

Back