techron, PEA, and the "fish" smell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
pardon my ignorance... went through a couple of threads and i thought i would ask...

i have a bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus and a bottle of 3M 8812 Injector Cleaner and they smell completely different. from what i understand/read, PEA smells fishy (and the 3m product smells like it). however, the techron bottle smells nothing like that?

i came across a thread with techron no longer claiming PEA in their products... is this true?

I recently bought some Gumout Regane HM, definite fishy smell but I expected it to be stronger

I think there are a few different Techrons available for purchase. For that reason, and the reason you state, and price is why I went with the Regane, cause I knew there was PEA in it, and I was curious to smell the fish as reported here.

I wonder if Techron is just another brand which developed a good reputation, then went all 'Maximum profit' like so many other formerly good names.

Technically, you can't smell a high molecular weight polymer like PEA as it has no volatility. The fish smell is no doubt some much smaller aminated molecules that have enough vapor pressure to make it into the air. So the smell may just indicate something about the manufacturing process or the molecular weight distribution of the PEA.

http://www.techron.com/techron-concentrate-plus/Default.aspx

Techron Concentrate Plus

Whether protecting your new valuable investment, restoring your used car to its original performance, or simply helping keep your engine as clean as it can be, Techron Concentrate Plus delivers a number of unsurpassed benefits and one unique benefit - the ability to eliminate faulty fuel gauge readings.

Performance
Benefits
Science

Techron Concentrate Plus bottle
Capabilities Techron Concentrate Plus Leading Competitor
Cleans carburetors Yes Yes
Cleans fuel injectors Yes Yes
Cleans intake valves and ports Yes Yes
Cleans combustion chambers Yes No
Restores lost power and performance Yes Yes
Lowers emissions Yes Yes
Relieves cold startup problems Yes No
Reduces deposit-related engine knocking and pinging Yes No
Cleans sulfur deposits from gas gauge sensors Yes No
Protects against fuel system sulfur deposits Yes No
Protects gas gauge sensors from malfunctioning Yes No
Contains PEA chemistry Yes No

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: idriveadelsol
i came across a thread with techron no longer claiming PEA in their products... is this true?

No, its false. The name "Techron" = A fuel additive with PEA developed and patented by the Chevron Corporation in the early 1980s. Techron first appeared as an additive in Chevron gas in 1995. Techron Concentrate Plus is 10X levels of Techron found in Chevron gas + upper cylinder lube and other proprietary ingredients.

The threads are people using a MSDS as if it were a ingredients list. Not what a MSDS is. Its no surprise Chevron is hiding proprietary patented ingredients in MSDS, note how many PEA fuel system additives have popped up in recent years.

The 20 oz. bottle of Techron that got split between both cars yesterday did not reek of fish. There was a difference felt when it got to the engine, just like other fuel system cleaners that have PEA in them.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The 20 oz. bottle of Techron that got split between both cars yesterday did not reek of fish. There was a difference felt when it got to the engine, just like other fuel system cleaners that have PEA in them.

please elaborate on the difference felt.

so both cars are only 10 gallon tanks?

Yes, it's hard to believe that you will feel any noticeable change in "seat of the pants" performance within a few miles or so, it takes many miles (hundreds) for the PEA detergent to really start effectively cleaning any serious carbon build up. I would say that after a full tank is used that you might notice improved performance if you had significant carbon buildup in your intake system or injectors.

One of the biggest benefits that PEA has is the fact that while it cleans deposits (carbon and other detergent remnants) it NEVER leaves it own residue behind. A important fact that for some odd reason Chevron doesn't advertise. That is a puzzle. As competing detergents DO leave some of their own deposits behind while cleaning carbon residue.

If anyone ever has the interest ask Chevron why they don't advertise this fact.

I assume in advertising you either avoid claiming your product doesn't have a negative feature associated with it's competitors because either it simply puts it in people's heads, 'wait, is that something I should worry about? how am I sure you're not lying?' Or legally you open yourself to having to prove others do and yours doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Or as Ray Charles use to say walking by a fish store: "Hello ladies".

LMAO....I thought the exact same thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back