Techron and its effects

I personally feel techron has a noticeable effect in performance, but that may be just observer bias. I decided to pour some in a family member car without informing them, and they came back after the tank was rundown saying the same positive result.

From what i understand their is a mild cleaning effect, below 500f at least where PEA is active. However Techron also lowers the octane number i believe, so if the octane number is reduced how is their a noticeable gain in performance?

I have run the same “blind” test on a family member - same results. They said “what did you do to my car?”** ;)

The dilution factor is VERY small and octane effect is not what is at play. The benefit comes from cleaning fuel system pathways/injectors/valves so the fuel metering is more consistent across cylinders and the spray pattern closer to ideal.

** - May have been with Gumout Regane TBH; I use it and Techron interchangeably as the key to both i the PEA.

The issue though, is the car ends up performing as usual in a few tanks, even with the use of top tier gas post techron.

it may clean up some injector and fuel pump junk, absorb some excess moisture in the tank but that's really all its no rocket juice or miracle marmalade. you may notice a smoother idle or less hesitation if your vehicle has no other issues it won't fix broke and definitely won't put lust in your pedal.

Just adding it can't possibly improve engine performance simply by it being there. That's not what it does.

It can help improve impaired performance if there's clogged injectors or valve deposits. And at its most effective, it can't completely eliminate deposits, but reaches a state where the state is well controlled.

I guess I’m still stuck at “proveitwithdata” has only subjective results, and wants more subjective results from the group to give his assumptions more weight.

Search the additive forums, I believe it was @wwillson that had a thread where they tested a PEA cleaner and actually removed the head before and after. That’s about the only solid data other than manufacturer promises.

I decided to pour some in a family member car without informing them, and they came back after the tank was rundown saying the same positive result.
Need more information about this.... What prompted them to randomly mention to you that their car felt different ? That seems, well, random, doesn't it ?

Need more information about this.... What prompted them to randomly mention to you that their car felt different ? That seems, well, random, doesn't it ?
Nothing really. I filled up the tank on a Sunday with the techron, and handed over the keys, and came back the following week to the comment as we were catching up on the week.

I guess I’m still stuck at “proveitwithdata” has only subjective results, and wants more subjective results from the group to give his assumptions more weight.

Search the additive forums, I believe it was @wwillson that had a thread where they tested a PEA cleaner and actually removed the head before and after. That’s about the only solid data other than manufacturer promises.
There is an SAE white paper and journal that i think Engineering Explained went over when Gumout was rolling out a couple of there new products (I think @wwilson thread was based on the same rollout community events), but it was a bit confusing due to the age of the engine.

Pure petrol was the best cleaner. PEA showed a 73% reduction on intake valve deposition mass but a 21% increase in mass deposition in the cylinder heads. However at the 10k mile mark of an engine deposit forming and deposit leaving reaches a steady state. When they compared PIBA, PEA, and PNA, PEA came out on top.

Should that translate into PEA is useless because petrol is frankly a better solvent?

I started using techron years ago when an old boss of mine - who was restoring a DeLorean - told me that the mechanical injection pump was gummed up and seized and he tried a number of other things but eventually was told to soak it in techron and when he did it cleaned it out completely. It was a completely unsolicited comment and I was like 25 and he was like 50, so he had no benefit to embellish. I run some once every so often when I think of it.

Personally, I never experienced performance and gas mileage increase while running on tank with Techron or another P.E.A. additive, but engines ran smoother.

Back