Tamper seal cap

Seems like an illogical reason to not purchase a particular brand of oil. Or anything for that matter.

Why’s that? I like oil filters that come with the protective clear seal to keep ANY possible contaminants from getting inside the box and inside the filter.

I’ve seen way too many oil filters with tiny chunks of cardboard material all over the rubber seal and even inside the filter itself. Not cool in my book and I no longer buy that brand because of that.

If they aren’t interested in providing a super clean and contaminant free product for me, I’m not interested in doing business with them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP, take this as a lesson to always be cautious and check for any possible foul play next time. I agree that bottles that are super sealed are are better anyway. Less chance for the oil to spill while in storage or transporting from the store. 👍🏼

So I bought two jugs of Pennzoil platinum today, unscrewed the cap no tamper seal thingy?? Not cool
I got a jug through amazon last week and about half a quart leaked out during shipping. I got a refund.

The whole cap unscrew off. Look like a faulty cap
I think the cap is supposed to unscrew. Was the cap ring left behind on the neck of the Jug?
Go take a look and put your mind at ease.

Now I bet you are good to go if the oil was a light amber when you poured it.

Did your jug look like this:

pennplatjug.jpg

Last edited:
We had a local milk company that had faulty lids. They are suppose to leave a ring after you snap it open but these were coming off in tack, it took them about a month to get it fixed.

Yeah the whole thing unscrewed off. Just weird to me. I wouldn’t drink my milk that opened like that.

You must be new here. People routinely pour their old oil back into the jugs and return them for a refund at Walmart. Clerks just put them back on the shelf without checking.
My Walmart doesn’t return opened oil

My Walmart doesn’t return opened oil

That’s because they check it to see if it’s sealed. On those tamper proof plastic caps I’ve heard of people using something hot to melt the plastic ring back to the cap. These gamers have all kinds of tricks nowadays.

That’s because they check it to see if it’s sealed. On those tamper proof plastic caps I’ve heard of people using something hot to melt the plastic ring back to the cap. These gamers have all kinds of tricks nowadays.
Oh wow, and putting used oil in it that’s crazy

I've had those breakaway tops malfunction before, where the whole thing comes off. It's annoying, indicates extreme cheapness in designing the container.
Rotella also doesn't use foil seals. I think also QSUD and Pennzoil, at least as of a couple years ago. This makes me avoid their products sometimes.

I've had those breakaway tops malfunction before, where the whole thing comes off. It's annoying, indicates extreme cheapness in designing the container.
Rotella also doesn't use foil seals. I think also QSUD and Pennzoil, at least as of a couple years ago. This makes me avoid their products sometimes.

All those brands come from the same company, Shell.

Again, while a foil seal would help to prevent tampering you would have to break the cap seal to check it. That might be the reason Shell doesn’t use them and relies solely on the tamper proof cap. Now if that cap were clear then you could verify the foil seal right off and that gives you two steps the product is good to go. Why more companies don’t go that route I don’t know.

So I bought two jugs of Pennzoil platinum today, unscrewed the cap no tamper seal thingy?? Not cool
Let's step through this. Did the caps you unscrewed have the plastic tabs that "break loose" when you unscrew them?

I can't remember what bands, but I have had oil containers that had the breakaway tabs and did not have the additional foil or plastic seal over the opening. And I've had some that had both. Never seen an oil jug where the cap just screwed off with no breakaway tabs and no seal under the cap.

Surely it wouldn't hurt these manufacturers to include foil seals on their bottles?

The Castrol Magnatec that I purchased recently had a nice hologram foil seal in addition to the plastic cap seal with the brand name clearly marked on both.

Last edited:
Back