Pennzoil/QuakerState 5Q Containers

In this scenario, you can inspect the cap and everything looks good at a glance. It’s not until you actually remove the cap that you realize the problem.
All you have to do is give the cap a twist and you'll know it's been opened. ;)

The only thing about the foil seal- what if a piece, very small goes into your engine.

I know a BITOG member would make sure that doesn’t happen 😃

What about the average Joe?
Maybe a different kind of seal would be safer?
I noticed a friend used some Castrol Edge, with a foil seal.
He just pushed the seal in and started pouring. I told him to watch for a stray piece of foil.
He acted like it was ok.🤔
I use Castrol with the foil seal, but I never remove all of it. I just poke into it and fold it inward. If a piece gets into my crankcase the fikter will catch it! :)

Seriously though, I watch for floating foil pieces but I have never seen any break loose. And the Castrol caps are also weak, like the PZ and QS mentioned above; sometimes the tamperproof strip stays attached to the cap. It's annoying but nothing a pair of scissors can't fix.

Borh QS and Pennzoil are now Shell products.

I notice that many products that come in plastic containers, the containers themselves contain less material and are more flimsy. Spring water bottles such as Poland Springs, for example. The politically correct reason for thinner containers is to reduce plastic in the waste stream.

The non politically correct reason is to save money.

OP -

If SOPUS fixes the cap problem to your (and others) liking, you can rest assured the price of QS will increase.

You know, “…….new and improved, now with 14% more cap strength!”

Heck, it might even increase so much as to cease being a BITOG darling!

I don't see a problem with the SOPUS caps. If they've not been removed, they resist unscrewing until the anti-tamper ring comes free. If they've already been off, they don't resist. Much better than foil that won't come off completely in one piece.

I don't see a problem with the SOPUS caps. If they've not been removed, they resist unscrewing until the anti-tamper ring comes free. If they've already been off, they don't resist. Much better than foil that won't come off completely in one piece.
I really dislike foil seals.
I wanted to at least try the Edge 20,000 Gold,
But don’t know if it has the foil.
I’m not a Castrol fan, but it looked interesting.

That's how they are supposed to work. My post explains how some of the caps/rings do not work as intended.

Last edited:
The previous style Valvoline 5Qt containers with the pull tab and built in pour spout were the best. They’ve since gotten rid of them.

Back