Pennzoil/QuakerState 5Q Containers

I'm a big fan of Pennzoil and QuakerState products and have been using their oils for most of my life. I'm confident in their oil and recommend it to everyone.

This is why the low quality of the 5Q containers bothers me. This isn't a bad batch, this isn't an exception, it's now the standard that these containers routinely leak and do not have proper tamper-proof seals. About 50% of the containers that I've purchased over the years (from various retailers), the tamper-proof plastic ring sticks to the cap instead of breaking off, essentially eliminating the entire point.

Maybe I'm too picky, but yes, I do like to have confidence that the containers weren't opened when I purchase them.

Below is a picture from my most recent purchase to use as an example.

1699464942072.png

Last edited:
Borh QS and Pennzoil are now Shell products.

I notice that many products that come in plastic containers, the containers themselves contain less material and are more flimsy. Spring water bottles such as Poland Springs, for example. The politically correct reason for thinner containers is to reduce plastic in the waste stream.

The non politically correct reason is to save money.

Borh QS and Pennzoil are now Shell products.

I notice that many products that come in plastic containers, the containers themselves contain less material and are more flimsy. Spring water bottles such as Poland Springs, for example. The politically correct reason for thinner containers is to reduce plastic in the waste stream.

The non politically correct reason is to save money.

Absolutely. And in fairness, I would have no issue overlooking some of those issues, even the small leaks that develop around the cap. The biggest issue to me is the non-functional tamper rings.

This reminds me of my current battle with the new Purely Inspired protein powder lids that are almost impossible to remove. I'm not "Weak" but my wrists have seen better days & these are insanely too tight to remove w/o a battle in the kitchen. Just be happy it's not the opposite...Hard to remove. I'd send a message still to Shell company for productive feedback complaint as I will be with this protein powder.

I
This reminds me of my current battle with the new Purely Inspired protein powder lids that are almost impossible to remove. I'm not "Weak" but my wrists have seen better days & these are insanely too tight to remove w/o a battle in the kitchen. Just be happy it's not the opposite...Hard to remove. I'd send a message still to Shell company for productive feedback complaint as I will be with this protein powder.
worked at a beverage company awhile back.
QC has to check the machine periodically,((make adjustments ) that puts on the sealed caps.

Failure to do so-you get bottles that are over tightened.
Saw so many 2 liter bottles tossed, because of it

I

worked at a beverage company awhile back.
QC has to check the machine periodically,((make adjustments ) that puts on the sealed caps.

Failure to do so-you get bottles that are over tightened.
Saw so many 2 liter bottles tossed, because of it
Well, based on the consistency (Every bottle we've purchased) I'd assume this was intentional but you bring up a good point about incorrect tolerances.

That’s why I fall back on Mobil 1 so often “foil seal” added layer of assurance
The only thing about the foil seal- what if a piece, very small goes into your engine.

I know a BITOG member would make sure that doesn’t happen 😃

What about the average Joe?
Maybe a different kind of seal would be safer?
I noticed a friend used some Castrol Edge, with a foil seal.
He just pushed the seal in and started pouring. I told him to watch for a stray piece of foil.
He acted like it was ok.🤔

I prefer strong foil that's slightly difficult to remove vs a seal that is so weak it comes off with the lid. Who doesn't have something pokey floating around?

And I have never once had a piece of that seal end up in my engine - just takes a little common sense.

Back