Talk Some Sense into an Oil Thickie?

Love how some people think switching from 0w-16 to 0w-20 will ruin their engine.

Meanwhile at Toyota
10946E79-5300-415B-BA64-34A0FEE4E420.jpeg

Edit: this is for 2014fj cruiser

Last edited:
I'm still wondering about some of the crazier oil weights like 40 w 70! Leave it to Australia to come up with something like that! My assumption for that is for extremely hot climates with older vehicles. The tolerances in a car won't stay tight forever. I can remember back in the day when I saw 10w50 and thought that was the new thickness.

I'm still wondering about some of the crazier oil weights like 40 w 70! Leave it to Australia to come up with something like that! My assumption for that is for extremely hot climates with older vehicles.
Used in the Road Warrior's Pursuit Special ... Last of the V8 Interceptors, the iconic black GT Falcon.

The tolerances in a car won't stay tight forever.
Mostly if you use too thin of an oil during the conditions that put more punishment on the engine. 😄

PS - it's clearances ... not tolerances.

Brand name full synthetic 5w-30 for all normal climates. 10k mil oil change on older engines with enough displacement, 5k on all new engines with too little displacement. Ignore all the other noise, and live your life.

There is no replacement for displacement. Take the horse power and divide it by the engine size. If its more than 65 hp/ litre you go with 5k oci.

Last edited:
Brand name full synthetic 5w-30 for all normal climates. 10k mil oil change on older engines with enough displacement, 5k on all new engines with too little displacement. Ignore all the other noise, and live your life.

There is no replacement for displacement. Take the horse power and divide it by the engine size. If its more than 65 hp/ litre you go with 5k oci.
Sure there is.....a wuhan whirlboi! 360hp/1.8L so 200hp/L....so 1K OCI? hahaha

I'm still wondering about some of the crazier oil weights like 40 w 70! Leave it to Australia to come up with something like that! My assumption for that is for extremely hot climates with older vehicles. The tolerances in a car won't stay tight forever. I can remember back in the day when I saw 10w50 and thought that was the new thickness.
I used 25W-70 in my turbo Mazda. Then I went to the super thin M1 0W-50.

There is no question that 0w-20 has been brought about by CAFE requirements.
Is 0w-20 good enough to get them their MPG goals, yes.
Is it good enough to get the vehicle through the warranty period, yup
Exactly, after warranty is over, it's only your problem.
Oil drinking is common on old cars, it's happening even within warranty.. mfg claiming that 1l/1000km is still OK... by common sense standards such motor is considered shot.
I wonder how that's gonna save the planet..

Last edited:
What? One is a 20-grade whereas the other is a 40-grade. They do NOT have the same operating viscosity.
I stand corrected: Here's some data I found:

cSt viscosity at. 104F................212F.............at 302F
Straight 30...........??.....................10.....................3
0W-20..................47 ....................8.8................2.5
10W-30.................62 ...................10.....................3
0W-30..................57 ....................10.....................3
5W-30..................59.....................10.....................3
10W-30................62.....................10....................3
0W-40..................85.....................15...................3.75
5W-50.................120...................20....................4

Redline 0w20 w Hths 2.9. That's thick!
All I can tell ya is when I replaced M1 AFE 0w-20 with PUP 0w-20 the increased Density of the PUP was very noticeable. It seemed so much "thicker" that I may switch to PP 0w-20 for winter for easier starting. I don't wanna go thicker than the the PUP 0w-20 at this time. Just my experience with these 2 oils in my 17 Camry 2.5. YMMV

Back