T6 5w40 vs Pennzoil Plat Euro 5w40

Hello, I've been browsing and couldn't find a thread comparing Rotella T6 5w40 against Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 with oil analysis results.

I found an older thread stating that the new Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 is what the old Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w40 was called.

Anyways, I have a 700 horsepower 427 Ls7 vette and bearing protection is paramount. Currently running T6 5w40. No cats, and I change the oil every 2500-3000 kms. I only drive it in the summer/fall months so it sees 40*F to 80*F ambient temps.

Please chime in if you have compared to the 2 oils or have a link to a thread with data related to these 2, thanks.

Last edited:
Any euro or diesel oil will be great. If you don't run it in the cold i'd actually suggest mobil delvac extreme 15w-40. Higher hths than 5w-40 and it has a stout add pack. There's a voa of it on here. I'm running 15w-40 in my stock 6.0 and 5.3 and qs euro 5w-40 in my 6.2. But any 0/5w-40 will still be good.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

For only 2000 miles, practically anything will do, even in your modified LS7, so just get whichever one is cheaper :unsure:

M1 0w40 is very popular on cars that see track use, and even some racing teams use M1 0w40 or something very close to it.

Pennzoil also makes a special SRT 0w40. It was factory fill on the Viper. If they still make it, you might like that oil. There's also Quaker State Euro 5w40, which could very well be the same as PP Euro 5w40 or at least very close to it.

Remember that HDEO is sold by the gallon, not the 5 qt jug :sneaky:

Anyways, I have a 700 horsepower 427 Ls7 vette and bearing protection is paramount. Currently running T6 5w40.
Why in the world are you running Diesel oil in a high powered gasoline engine?

If you really want something that will protect that engine, you have several options that make way more sense:

In no particular order:
  • Mobil 1 FS 5W-40
  • Mobil 1 15W-50
  • Castrol EDGE Euro 5W-40
  • Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 / Quaker State Euro 5W-40 (they are the same)
  • HPL Supercar 5W-40
  • HPL Supercar 5W-50
  • HPL BAS 5W-40

Can't wait until @RDY4WAR chimes in.

Last edited:

If you really want something that will protect that engine, you have several options that make way more sense:

In no particular order:
  • Mobil 1 FS 5W-40
  • Mobil 1 15W-40
  • HPL Supercar 5W-40
  • HPL Supercar 5W-50
  • HPL BAS 5W-40

Did you mean Mobile 1 15W50?

Sounds like Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 is accepted as the better oil. Thanks for the replies.

In no particular order:
  • Mobil 1 FS 5W-40
  • Mobil 1 15W-50
  • HPL Supercar 5W-40
  • HPL Supercar 5W-50
  • HPL BAS 5W-40

Rotella T6 5w40 has proven itself in the past on higher hp gasoline setups. IF PP Euro 5w40 is superior in every way, that's all I want to hear.

Sounds like Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 is accepted as the better oil. Thanks for the replies.
Man, you dodged the bullet there. Just order Quaker State Euro 5W-40, it's the same oil, and you can get it in 5 quart jugs from Walmart. In fact, Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 is the same as QS Euro 5W-40, is the same as Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 - Ferrari OEM fill.

Rotella T6 foams badly, it's not suitable for gas engines. There are plenty of threads around here about it.

I used QS Euro 5W-40 / PP Euro 5W-40 for a few years, in various engines. It has a NOACK of 5.6% and it doesn't foam at all. It's very good oil. Shell makes some awesome products, like PP Euro / QS Euro, and some really crappy ones like Rotella. All companies do that.

Any euro or diesel oil will be great. If you don't run it in the cold i'd actually suggest mobil delvac extreme 15w-40. Higher hths than 5w-40 and it has a stout add pack. There's a voa of it on here. I'm running 15w-40 in my stock 6.0 and 5.3 and qs euro 5w-40 in my 6.2. But any 0/5w-40 will still be good.
I'll second that. Go to any race track and see SBCs & BBCs running 15w40. BBCs like their oil pressure.
If blocking the oil filter bypass on BBC and SBCs, run the 9100 Duramax filter that bypass around 15psi.
The old PH8A (TG5) and long PH373s don't have a bypass and blocking the bypass that is bolted to the block is asking for trouble.

Man, you dodged the bullet there. Just order Quaker State Euro 5W-40, it's the same oil, and you can get it in 5 quart jugs from Walmart. In fact, Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 is the same as QS Euro 5W-40, is the same as Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 - Ferrari OEM fill.

Rotella T6 foams badly, it's not suitable for gas engines. There are plenty of threads around here about it.

I used QS Euro 5W-40 / PP Euro 5W-40 for a few years, in various engines. It has a NOACK of 5.6% and it doesn't foam at all. It's very good oil. Shell makes some awesome products, like PP Euro / QS Euro, and some really crappy ones like Rotella. All companies do that.
I remember reading about foaming but used T6 5w40 in a setup without any issues for over 13 years, never noticed foaming when checking the dip stick. It was a 1.8L Honda engine originally making 130 hp stock, then after turbocharging it made 350 hp for over 13 years, many 7600 rpm visit. Oil changes every 3000 kms, so it never hurt the engine, only maintained it so oiling with T6 5w40 was never adversely affected.

A few weeks ago I asked a motorcycle/ quad (basically a powersports engine rebuild shop) machine shop if they ever saw foaming with T6 5w40, they laughed as their engines see very high rpm and never had any foaming issues.

So although I acknowledge the foaming comments, I never saw any evidence myself. If you have links to threads where they 100% for sure didn't overfill the oil level, and used 5w40 with picture evidence of foaming, I'd like to see it. I'll be using PP Euro 5w40 in my Ls7 but just curious about the foaming evidence of T6 5w40 to convince me to never use it again on other gas engines.

I remember reading about foaming but used T6 5w40 in a setup without any issues for over 13 years, never noticed foaming when checking the dip stick. It was a 1.8L Honda engine originally making 130 hp stock, then after turbocharging it made 350 hp for over 13 years, many 7600 rpm visit. Oil changes every 3000 kms, so it never hurt the engine, only maintained it so oiling with T6 5w40 was never adversely affected.

A few weeks ago I asked a motorcycle/ quad (basically a powersports engine rebuild shop) machine shop if they ever saw foaming with T6 5w40, they laughed as their engines see very high rpm and never had any foaming issues.

So although I acknowledge the foaming comments, I never saw any evidence myself. If you have links to threads where they 100% for sure didn't overfill the oil level, and used 5w40 with picture evidence of foaming, I'd like to see it. I'll be using PP Euro 5w40 in my Ls7 but just curious about the foaming evidence of T6 5w40 to convince me to never use it again on other gas engines.
You need to search ASTM D6082 & D892 for starters, which addresses foam sequence tests that engine oils, including API CK-4 must pass.
www.astm.org
www.api.org
www.infineum.com
www.lubrizol.com

Never heard that one. It's all I've run for over 20 years in everything.

You need to search ASTM D6082 & D892 for starters, which addresses foam sequence tests that engine oils, including API CK-4 must pass.
www.astm.org
www.api.org
www.infineum.com
www.lubrizol.com
I mention them in my posts here.

Any oil that has MB229.5 approval is what you want to go for. Forget T6. T6 was go to oil in SUbaru and VW community because of high fuel dilution some 15yrs ago. Back than T6 was fairly thick, and managed to stay in grade with high dilution. But, that was it.
Go that Pennzoil, Mobil1 0W40, Castrol 0W40, Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2. They are all exceptional oils.

Oooooh….burn!!!
1715489587358.jpg

Noli optare aliis quod tibi fieri nolis.

So although I acknowledge the foaming comments, I never saw any evidence myself.
If you truly want to protect your bearings, get HPL NO-VII 10W-40.

Check out this thread, plenty to learn here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-1-oil-hpl-tests-anti-foam-in-gear-oil.379854

Here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...i-foam-in-gear-oil.379854/page-7#post-6811738

1715490336814.jpeg

Here is the entire video:

Remember, friends don't let friends use Rotella.

The reason why it's called Brotella around here is due to how ignorant people use this product: "Yeah, I run it in everything, it's been nothing but great, never had an issue with it, and you should to!"

1715490245007.jpeg

These same people never bothered to run oil analysis, inspect their bearings, etc. Looking for foam on the oil dipstick is ridiculous, at best. That's not how oil is tested for foaming. There is a standardized ASTM test for it.

This is how bearings look when you use Rotella in the wrong application:

1715490827763.jpeg

Original post: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/m1-0w-40-fs-vs-rotella-t6-5w-40.376388/page-2#post-6704225

T6 is the last oil I would recommend for that engine. No FM, 12% Noack, foams like a🍺, poor PDSC, and so on with no redeeming qualities.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 is a better choice, but your engine is still outside the scope of its formula.

For your application, there's no oil off the shelf that's going to be ideal. What other specs do you have for this engine?

Rod and main bearing clearance?
Any power adders?
Max RPM?
What fuel?
Does it see long-term storage more than a couple months? (ie: winter storage)
Is the cam a hydraulic or solid roller?
How much racing does it see?
Oil capacity and cooling?

Without that information, we're playing chess in the dark.

Back