T-Mobile HOME Internet Service

Well,
I am sick of my internet service going up, like, 70% over the last few years.
The heck with that, even though I was VERY happy with TWC/Spectrum internet service, re-read what I just wrote, up 70% or so in the last few years.
Do you know any other companies that can do that? Now at $75 a month, heck, there are months where my electricity isnt much more then that.

So, I am keeping Spectrum at the sick cost of $75 a month while I test out T-Mobile Home Internet at $50 a month.
I just ordered it, modem/router should be here in a few days. $50 a month, NO other fees or costs. Nothing to lose, except to find out its good enough and I can dump the Spectrum home internet!

no caps but you are de-prioritized vs phones and other devices.
It means nothing unless it happens.
I have read those words in forums so many times over the last decade involving every single data service including cell phones on discounted plans.
It’s never happened to me and if it ever did I simply switch because I never hold a contract with a company and I’m never “stuck” with any company.
You can end up with a rotten landline ISP much more easy.
I suspect landline internet will be much like landline phones in the next decade.

Last edited:
It means nothing unless it happens.
I have read those words in forums so many times over the last decade involving every single data service including cell phones on discounted plans.
It’s never happened to me and if it ever did I simply switch because I never hold a contract with a company and I’m never “stuck” with any company.
You can end up with a rotten landline ISP much more easy.
I suspect landline internet will be much like landline phones in the next decade.
Someone asked about caps I was just replying. you are preaching to the choir.
I've been on MVNO cell service for 6 years now. Same service 1/2 the price or less.

Now if they would put in something like verizon mmwave home internet .. I'd probably jump.
As long as it was at least 100mbit down and 20up. @$50 or so. they could put a soft 1TB cap on as long
as they just deprioritized you after 1TB etc.

Dang spectrum just went upto 95$ 85$ after discount.

For years it was 39.99 then 64.99 which I got for 44.99 by negotiating... now its basically 95-100 with 10-20$ off max.

It means nothing unless it happens. I have read those words so many times over the last decade involving every single data service including cell phones on discounted plans. It’s never happened to me and if it ever did I simply switch because I never hold a contract with a company.
I thought I'd check:

Sorry, we’re not available in your area just yet.​

Oh well, I tried to dump Comcast/Xfinity
Yeah, it’s still very limited and they also will limit the amount of people who can sign up in any given area to maintain quality of service.
Good news is as this rolls out National and then into 5g as it is starting to do right now competition just like what happened with cell phone service will start to put a ceiling on pricing

More competition is better. My parents had Comcast for years as they owned the town zi live in. Then another company came in which seemed to help some. Then the town got its own gigabit ethernet. Comcast was difficult to deal with. Once up and running almost everyone switched. We now regularly get Comcast offers for free cable etc. They told us to pound sand so we did, now they want all of their customers back.

alarmguy, please update this thread as your testing progresses.

This service appears to be available where I live. $50 is about 25% less than what I’m paying to AT&T for pretty slow DSL.

alarmguy, please update this thread as your testing progresses.

This service appears to be available where I live. $50 is about 25% less than what I’m paying to AT&T for pretty slow DSL.
Absolutely will update. I plan on using this for a good month or two before deciding on whether to keep it or not. I will be using both our existing Spectrum Service and T Mobile during this time.
For us its super important, we have over 20 wifi devices on our home network AND my wife works from home with her own Cisco work router plugged into our home router via an AC power line adapter.. SO reliability is most important. I didnt care too much about price until now (except on principle for Spectrums obnoxious 70% price increases over the last couple years), Jan 2021 as her company is no longer paying for employees internet service. Which means we now have to pay. *LOL*

So for the first few weeks I will be running Tmobile on our home network of 20+ devices and leave my wifes work station connected to Spectrum while I test the TMobile. I will literally disconnect our router from the Spectrum modem and plug it into the Tmobile router/modem.
I will be happy if I get speeds of around 40+ Mbps from TMobile. On top of that, once 5g comes I know we will be first in line, assuming the cost is not much different then what it is now.

Then, by this time, Spectrum will offer me a 2 year $49 a month deal from the $75 I pay now but on principle I will avoid this at almost all cost if I can. Heck with them.

With all the above said, I dont know what to expect from TMobile. I see in the forums some VERY happy people with very good speeds.
For me, if my wifes work wasnt so critical the decision would be soooooo much more easy. But I will update to help others because I do think, for home internet service TMobile is going to disrupt the cable internet industry over the next 5 to 10 years. I do think it is possible that landline internet may possibly become as insignificant as landline phones. There will always be a need but for the typical homeowner, not so much anymore.

TMobile, for now, has the empty bandwidth/ frequencies to sell. Apparently more than they're using with phones. They will sell it until it gets saturated, so saturated that people start leaving.

But, we're not there yet. And you should jump ship. Can hope for a year at introductory pricing if you go back to cable later.

I've heard T Mobil TV ad's state video is 480P on your devices. Streamed content will suck on your TV if they do that.

I have Centurylink internet.
Some years ago I signed up for 40 MPS for $55.00 for ever.
Unless I upgrade my service the $55.00 is good for life.
I'm sure somehow they will wiggle out of that but for now I'm good.

I've heard T Mobil TV ad's state video is 480P on your devices. Streamed content will suck on your TV if they do that.
Ahh.... Internet forum chatter ... "I've Heard" ^^ the above has nothing to do with TMobile HOME internet Service and everything to do with TMobile streaming services which again, has nothing to do with home internet service and everything to do with cell phone service..

But with everything said. This is why I am testing it.

TMobile, for now, has the empty bandwidth/ frequencies to sell. Apparently more than they're using with phones. They will sell it until it gets saturated, so saturated that people start leaving.

But, we're not there yet. And you should jump ship. Can hope for a year at introductory pricing if you go back to cable later.
Yup!
I dont get the naysayers. I mean, when we buy gas for our vehicles, is it jumping ship if we buy Mobil instead of Shell because of price?
Same here. Im not stuck with anyone, have no contract, switching is nothing more then making a phone call and switching companies, simple, easy stuff.

But you hit it on the head. First, I am not canceling Spectrum, I am testing T Mobile for fun. IF its really good, at that point 1 or 2 months later, I will cancel Spectrum, all it takes is a phone call. IF TMobile lets me down, just a phone call to start up Spectrum again and if I do, the cost will be $26 a month less then I pay them now, for two years.
As far as saturated, I dont see that happening, you have to apply for their home internet, first come first serve basis, they limit subscribers based on capacity in any given area.
Keep in mind, these same towers are now rolling out 5g and capacity is going to explode.

I can see some of the posts in here as almost debating over 2 decades ago the demise of landline telephones!
I mean, Im not saying this is the solution but I have an open mind and it is a GRAND SLAM for anyone with limited internet access which is TMobiles goal, like another posted in here that has DSL service, this has to be leaps and bounds better, but again, it cost nothing to switch and try out, simple, easy stuff and if it is good, those stuck with slow services will finally have good internet.

Last edited:
I have Centurylink internet.
Some years ago I signed up for 40 MPS for $55.00 for ever.
Unless I upgrade my service the $55.00 is good for life.
I'm sure somehow they will wiggle out of that but for now I'm good.

About 11 or so years ago... I had one of the first $25 a month UNLIMITED plans. A MVNO.. Virgin Mobile. (Everyone says it's all Boost now but I'm not so sure.)

A couple/3 years after this, they announced it was now all $35.

MVNOs are a HUGE Cash Cow for cell companies; they basically make 100% profit, since it's just re-selling their own network/access....

So then it was, "As long as you keep that phone you keep the plan."

My very first Android/Smart phone (the 2000s were a HOT MESS and I never liked Blackberry and they are STILL not around so. Blast to the past 11-12 years ago, Happy New Year) and it finally started to get old, etc, as will happen... and I lost the $25 plan.

Let me check out if this T-Mobile thing is available here; It probably isn't, and we have an "Internet Only" plan that yeah probably costs like $75 a month.. The kind of thing that makes you want to ask a neighbor if you can just pay them to use their Wifi for connectivity, honestly.

Our HOA likes to try to hold people hostage. It's "ONLY OPTIMUM," ComCast CANT service here, and there are all sorts of restrictions on Dish (we asked.) Apparently the dishes we see are not active. And even then it's really only DirecTV or Vonage or Hughes so.. No good options..

From their terms and conditions: “Video streaming resolution depends on available speeds. For best performance, leave video streaming applications at their default resolution setting. Not compatible with some live TV streaming services.”

I have t-mobile for my cell phones but joined when they were offering the $100/month for 2 lines with HD video. 4K on cellular looks identical to being on WiFi.

From their terms and conditions: “Video streaming resolution depends on available speeds. For best performance, leave video streaming applications at their default resolution setting. Not compatible with some live TV streaming services.”

I have t-mobile for my cell phones but joined when they were offering the $100/month for 2 lines with HD video. 4K on cellular looks identical to being on WiFi.
Keep in mind we are talking about home internet service and not cell phone service. Every internet provider that everyone in this forum uses has similar "Terms of Service" but they never read them.

From Spectrum site = " Subscriber understands that Subscriber's wireless connections and use of wireless routers may be subject to greater fluctuations in speed and latency and may be adversely affected by interference, congestion, distance, and other outside factors."

"iii. Subscriber further understands and agrees that, to allocate bandwidth across all of its users, Spectrum may employ reasonable network management techniques as identified in Spectrum's AUP and Spectrum's Network Management Disclosure Statement."

Our HOA likes to try to hold people hostage. It's "ONLY OPTIMUM," ComCast CANT service here, and there are all sorts of restrictions on Dish (we asked.) Apparently the dishes we see are not active. And even then it's really only DirecTV or Vonage or Hughes so.. No good options..
The FCC > HOA when it comes to satellite dishes. Assuming you have some sort of balcony with a view of the southern sky you can do what you want.

Back