Router Recommendations

new last week unifi released the cloud gateway ultra which is a $129 router with 1GBIT ids/ips performance
2.5 gbit wan, 4 port switch. (no wap)
could put this in front of the tplink router (setup as wap)
Its a nice bit of kit with an attractive price point for the performance.
Thank you, but I already built myself a security box. Too late now, I suppose. Then again, I needed multiple 2.5 Gigabit ports, since I got 2 Gigabit Fiber.

new last week unifi released the cloud gateway ultra which is a $129 router with 1GBIT ids/ips performance
2.5 gbit wan, 4 port switch. (no wap)
could put this in front of the tplink router (setup as wap)
Its a nice bit of kit with an attractive price point for the performance.

we know that you said it 5 or 6 times now. that patch was for a display bug. when was the last security patch.
also You still dont "get it". Tp-link will never patch their built in backdoor that other chinese state sponsored hacker groups will use to load
malicious firmware onto your router.. even if it didn't have any unpatched security issues.

You have clear lack of understanding(head really deep in the sand) on the "how" people get hacked.
Its not "I have security lights, an alarm, and a steel door" they will hit an easier target.

If its bad luck that your IP address was automatically scanned by automated systems and infiltrated thats it.
not " its easier to hack someone else they will start there"
that you keep saying.
I get everything, one can buy whatever equipment they want.
If you would like to know when the last Security patch was, you could look up on their website.
I mean who cares? If it was necessary or found, it would’ve been included with the last firmware update.
And if you really paranoid, you can activate three different criteria of trend net protection with this router.
Everything is Hackable, and the fact of the matter is every Americans information is out there someplace it just depends on which fish in the sea they choose.
To single out one company just because it’s based in China makes no difference to me and if it makes a difference to you then you choose some of the equipment you mention.

I’m not defending the company, I could care less. I posted a router in response to the OP.
Choose whatever you like if you think the Chinese are going to invade your network because you’re using one of the top five consumer router manufacturers in the world, you would think somebody would’ve found that back door already. The router to me is a steal at this price as long as you don’t care about having Wi-Fi 6.

I just wish if somebody would back up their claims naming TP link from reliable industry acknowledged sources that they have built-in back doors which can be exploited and hasn’t been patched. I mean all I’m hearing here is forum verbiage, and no sources to back it up.

And if they could back it up, provide some sources proving that other of the top five routers on the market do not have the same type of issues.

A couple people in here, arguing a point about one of the most commonly available routers around the world, and in the United States of America to the point of getting downright nasty with me because I I posted one that’s on sale at a great price.
Any web search will show TP link routers are some of the most widely reviewed routers in the United States of America by American and European publications, and no references to back doors or security concerns.

Crazy stuff man, I would think a simple reply like TP link has a back door in it that Chinese hackers can get into it. Here is the proof and we would suggest this (brand or brands) router instead.
But for some reason, well, never mind 🙃 I’m not interested LOL because the very few people in here that are getting downright nasty and arguing with me have not done that.

For anyone else interested as previously posted I’ll update in a week to 10 days if I’m keeping the router and if it’s been trouble free. With that said up and running for two days now it’s looking good, very good

Last edited:
I get everything, one can buy whatever equipment they want.
If you would like to know when the last Security patch was, you could look up on their website.
I mean who cares? If it was necessary or found, it would’ve been included with the last firmware update.
And if you really paranoid, you can activate three different criteria of trend net protection with this router.
Everything is Hackable, and the fact of the matter is every Americans information is out there someplace it just depends on which fish in the sea they choose.
To single out one company just because it’s based in China makes no difference to me and if it makes a difference to you then you choose some of the equipment you mention.

I’m not defending the company, I could care less. I posted a router in response to the OP.
Choose whatever you like if you think the Chinese are going to invade your network because you’re using one of the top five consumer router manufacturers in the world, you would think somebody would’ve found that back door already. The router to me is a steal at this price as long as you don’t care about having Wi-Fi 6.

I just wish if somebody would back up their claims naming TP link from reliable industry acknowledged sources that they have built-in back doors which can be exploited and hasn’t been patched. I mean all I’m hearing here is forum verbiage, and no sources to back it up.

And if they could back it up, provide some sources proving that other of the top five routers on the market do not have the same type of issues.

A couple people in here, arguing a point about one of the most commonly available routers around the world, and in the United States of America to the point of getting downright nasty with me because I I posted one that’s on sale at a great price.
Any web search will show TP link routers are some of the most widely reviewed routers in the United States of America by American and European publications, and no references to back doors or security concerns.

Crazy stuff man, I would think a simple reply like TP link has a back door in it that Chinese hackers can get into it. Here is the proof and we would suggest this (brand or brands) router instead.
But for some reason, well, never mind 🙃 I’m not interested LOL because the very few people in here that are getting downright nasty and arguing with me have not done that.

For anyone else interested as previously posted I’ll update in a week to 10 days if I’m keeping the router and if it’s been trouble free. With that said up and running for two days now it’s looking good, very good
I appreciate your level-headed approach in this heated debate! It's refreshing to see someone emphasizing practicality over paranoia when it comes to tech. You're right; in a world where digital security is a never-ending race, choosing equipment should be about what meets our needs and offers the best value, not fearmongering. Plus, demanding evidence over hearsay is the sign of a critical thinker. Keep us updated on your router experience; it sounds like you've made a good choice

1710538024218.jpg

I appreciate your level-headed approach in this heated debate! It's refreshing to see someone emphasizing practicality over paranoia when it comes to tech. You're right; in a world where digital security is a never-ending race, choosing equipment should be about what meets our needs and offers the best value, not fearmongering. Plus, demanding evidence over hearsay is the sign of a critical thinker. Keep us updated on your router experience; it sounds like you've made a good choice

View attachment 208497
I appreciate your reply. Yes, I will update before the return window expires. If I bought it from Amazon I would have 30 days to try it @$89 but went with Office Depot/Max for $79 and 14 days to return.
All good so far, I think accurate to say I am getting on average 5 to 10% more Wi-Fi speed, meaning I now all the time get slightly over the 300 download speed I pay for, interestingly I dont seem to get the consistent 250ish plus upload... None of this matters in the sense I am not saying I am happy because of the slight increase in speed, Im posting it to say I am not experiencing any hit to speed.

Range seems to extend well into my yard outside the home with the speed holding up well, even on 5g.

Of course routers come with a firewall etc that you can enable to disable. Not sure if this matters to anyone but the c4000 comes with Trendnet anti malware stuff. I NEVER use this stuff but only just now enabled it to see if there was a hit in speed and there is none. Chances are I will disable it anyway, unless I can be sure that Trendnet isnt collecting data to be sold which of course any third party stuff I have to question. This is why I dont use third party stuff and since I dont care I didnt look further into it but I believe this particular router comes with 3 years worth of Trendnet or Lifetime. Something I am sure if not easily given away anymore. If anyone interested they need to confirm which it is.

Again *LOL* no need for me to debate any of this Im just relaying information since someone mentioned the time most likely will eclipse being production is ending. I use Amazon as a guide, when I say Amazon I say Amazon as the actual seller, not a third party. But again, for me, I dont care, my last router was also a WiFI 5 now out of production (Motorola MR2600) and was one of the best (for my price range) routers I ever had for distance and that was important, in fact Lenovo promoted it for its distance. Our last house ws a 3000 sf foot home, part brick with 4 outdoor security cameras and DB camera that always worked well on the 2.5 band.

This is the screen shot of the C4000 router UI and Trendnet -
BTW- you will notice at the bottom is shows "Last time checked" when I first went into the routers UI this morning it gave me a date that the database was updated and that was 3-11-24 I guess the date disappeared once I activated it and went back in to take this screen shot.
Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 10.40.56 AM.jpg

Whole thread on it in the computer section.

Also, these two statements, both from you in the last 24hrs, seem contradictory:
alarmguy said:
alarmguy said:
It's more the uniformed media who is clueless on all subjects they report in today's world. Can anyone disagree with that statement?
:unsure:

Last edited:
Back