WiFi Router

Our cable company just got sold.
Wow! cable sold out to Breezeline in Ohio.
Have already had situation with their "Customer Service," which in this case is a true oxymoron.
They refused to honor the deal that I got from Wow!
The interactions that I had with them have led me to believe that the term "Festering Pile" is somehow a compliment for them.
At any rate, moving on to Spectrum (no, not expecting much better, but they have a physical presence in the state.)
At any rate, I went with internet and home phone. Decided to embrace the fiasco and move on to streaming, and place the Tivo's in retirement.
Expected to buy a cable modem and go with that (and magicjack the phone.) However, got such a good deal packing the phone that that plan went by the wayside (at least for 2 years.)
Since they control the phone, I have to use their modem (911 related,) so now I am in the market for a WiFi router.
The one that I had prior to going cable modem was a real pile. This time, I want a workhorse that is not going to create headaches.
No particular brand preference. Only stipulation is that it is able to be purchased through Amazon (surplus of GC's)
Open for recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Is this Spectrum cable or Spectrum DSL? Generally you're going to regret leaving cable for DSL even if the company seems better.

When you buy the phone service they will supply a combination modem / phone ATA / router / wifi box known as a "Home Gateway." The wifi performance of these usually isn't really good, though it may work for you if your usage is near the Gateway location.

Choice of routers and wifi equipment depends on the Internet plan speed and the area that needs to be covered.

Is this Spectrum cable or Spectrum DSL? Generally you're going to regret leaving cable for DSL even if the company seems better.

When you buy the phone service they will supply a combination modem / phone ATA / router / wifi box known as a "Home Gateway." The wifi performance of these usually isn't really good, though it may work for you if your usage is near the Gateway location.

Choice of routers and wifi equipment depends on the Internet plan speed and the area that needs to be covered.It's cable

It's cable. I was offered a wifi router for $5. per month.
Decided that I could probably do better purchasing my own.

If you don't take their router, how does the phone work? I've never seen a cable modem with phone ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) that wasn't also a wifi router.

If you don't take their router, how does the phone work? I've never seen a cable modem with phone ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) that wasn't also a wifi router.

They provide the modem, without a router in it.
The WiFi router connects to the modem via an Ethernet cable.
At least that is how the picture and text on the sheet provided by them describe the installation.

At least that is how the picture and text on the sheet provided by them describe the installation.
That's exactly what I've had from Spectrum the past few months. They similarly offered a modem-router combo for the same $5/month more. Service, including telephone through the same modem, has mostly been reliable. I expected worse.

I also had WOW and got switched to Breezeline in Ohio. Breezeline honored the promotional rate which I received from WOW. It was an easy transition.
As far as a router, I am a Netgear person. Their product support has worked good for me. I don't know if that fits into your Amazon requirement.

How long does the "Lifetime" last on that ASUS router? I recall the lifetime fiasco on Garmin GPS devices.

Might as well keep the Spectrum modem forever, Spectrum doesn't change for the modem only a router or if you have a router combination then once the deal ends tell them you want just a modem - no cost for that.
Not sure if that varies state to state but that is the rule in South Carolina, no charge for the modem, if you opt for a router, then they charge for a router.

If you want something simple, no bells and whistles, with killer range, dead on reliable then I would suggest a Motorola MR 2600 (AKA Motorola AC2600)
Its a Lenovo product, if that matters. Its stupid simple, works so well it annoys me, I feel like I should have to spend 2 or 3 times the price for this performance.

Ps, If it matters, I have given up counting how many wife devices in my home but its around 25 devices which includes video from 6 security cameras and 6 Roku players, printers, 3 desktops, 2+ laptops, cell phones, phone line (Ooma Landline) ya da ya da that run through this router, like any device not all at the same time but a fair amount of them do. Never needs a reset either.

Last edited:
Might as well keep the Spectrum modem forever, Spectrum doesn't change for the modem only a router or if you have a router combination then once the deal ends tell them you want just a modem - no cost for that.
Not sure if that varies state to state but that is the rule in South Carolina, no charge for the modem, if you opt for a router, then they charge for a router.

If you want something simple, no bells and whistles, with killer range, dead on reliable then I would suggest a Motorola MR 2600 (AKA Motorola AC2600)
Its a Lenovo product, if that matters. Its stupid simple, works so well it annoys me, I feel like I should have to spend 2 or 3 times the price for this performance.

Ps, If it matters, I have given up counting how many wife devices in my home but its around 25 devices which includes video from 6 security cameras and 6 Roku players, printers, 3 desktops, 2+ laptops, cell phones, phone line (Ooma Landline) ya da ya da that run through this router, like any device not all at the same time but a fair amount of them do. Never needs a reset either.

In regards to the Spectrum modem, stuck with it because they will have the Landline (required because of 911 programming.)
They say it is "Free," however, they simply roll it into the price ($14.99.) However, the amount of discount they give with the bundle somewhat offsets that.
Dealing with this stuff is worse than buying a car.
I like three of the terms you used to describe this unit "Killer range", "Dead on reliable", and "Stupid simple." "Never needs a reset" is merely icing on the cake. All are music to my ears.
Over the years, I have had good luck with Motorola devices. Definite contender.
Still entertaining suggestions though. Will probably order tomorrow, as I will need it by Thursday.

I also had WOW and got switched to Breezeline in Ohio. Breezeline honored the promotional rate which I received from WOW. It was an easy transition.
As far as a router, I am a Netgear person. Their product support has worked good for me. I don't know if that fits into your Amazon requirement.

Consider yourself lucky.
I had the deal that I received in writing, timestamped, with the complete trail of people that I talked to with names, dates, and times.
Their response was a $16. credit.
Hope that you never have to deal with their "Customer Service." They are as useful as wet paper towels in a flood.
Too bad. I really liked WOW. Excellent service.

Yep, they'll provide you free of charge a standard cable modem, or a cable modem with the phone jack on it if you choose Spectrum's land line as well. I skipped all of it years ago and use my own cable modem / wifi router combo. My current one is a Netgear AC1750. Works OK. You might be better ahead using their supplied modem w/ your own router. I dunno.

The nice thing about spectrum is swapping to new hardware is an automated one step process over their website or by a call from your cell phone.

Check Spectrum's Modem Compatibility List for the speed(s) you have or want to upgrade to in the future, we don't have their land line service. If you have your own Wi-Fi router, you won't have to pay the modem/router fee every month. That's how we do our Spectrum service.

The WIFI router most cable companies and phone companies provide or rent are typically pretty crappy.

I think the current one Verizon provides with FIOS (off white color) is pretty good. I especially like I can attach a mesh extender via network cable (CAT6) or COAX to the WIFI router.

I used to run linksys routers, but had nothing but trouble. Have been running Asus routers for quite some time, and they have been great. I currently run AX88U as a master, and AC3100 as AI mesh node. AX88U is my third Asus router, and it was purchased as an upgrade to reach farther. I needed greater range because wifi calling is a must in my loc. with low cell signal. I heartily endorse Asus, and am not affiliated with them at all.

Back