Smart TV and streaming device controls

I have an older Vizio with embedded apps (Netflix and Amazon for instance) plus ATT Direct Streaming. Not a well-integrated system. If the Vizio does NOT have the app I cannot watch it through this avenue. Why can't these so called Smart TVs allow one to add new apps as they become available. My other avenue is through the Direct Steaming. I have to order/pay for the apps (HBO) from ATT I think(??). Other alternative is to Stream and cast from the phone or computer. Overly complex and doesn't always work.

So many channels, so much worthless junk. Wish accessing the specific content was simpler/easier. And if not carefully you can be paying well of $200 per month for the content/programming.

Roku or Android OS are the way to go (I prefer Android). The manufacturer custom OSs can have limited support and app selection.

I'm using firestick or fire cubes for streaming IPTV. Never going back to cable. I had Netflix, but when they started with the password sharing nonsense in Canada, I cancelled them. I've got Prime, so between that and what I can currently get I'm saving at least $100 a month.

Roku or Android OS are the way to go (I prefer Android). The manufacturer custom OSs can have limited support and app selection.

Samsung has pretty good app support. For whatever reason, LG's app support isn't as good. I remember looking for ESPN and they don't have it on LG TVs. There are a few I'd like to see like the NBA app but even my Samsung doesn't have that. I end up using a Chromebook if I want to stream their content. I tried using the NBA app on a Roku device, but the quality is usually pretty bad for whatever reason.

NOT interested + mostly listen to 50-60's music + football. quit dish for cost + lack of channels they would not pay for, then back to cable BUT not like older cable, it has the techy tivo i dont like + did NOT know i was getting the same simple cable my girlfriend has + will prolly stop service after football for 6 mo until its back on as IMO TV is OVERPRICED junk + my laptop serves me much better!!

NOT interested + mostly listen to 50-60's music + football. quit dish for cost + lack of channels they would not pay for, then back to cable BUT not like older cable, it has the techy tivo i dont like + did NOT know i was getting the same simple cable my girlfriend has + will prolly stop service after football for 6 mo until its back on as IMO TV is OVERPRICED junk + my laptop serves me much better!!
What’s all the “+” symbols represent?

we have Roku Ultra and a voice Roku remote. Has a remote finder option and Voice input of what you want to watch. Son bought us that remote for Christmas and I don't know how we lived without it. Our grand daughter was constantly loosing it and it saves typing when you are looking for a specific show to watch. Just say " Hey Roku and Star Trek " and it finds it and shows you channels.

SONY "bravia" tv and amazon fire stick. ROKU destroyed my sound on my tv. Only 2 year old roku too
What does this mean? Please explain how it "destroyed" the sound on your TV. Are you saying that it permanently damaged the audio components on the SONY TV or are you suggesting that the audio signal is compressed and degraded through the ROKU streaming device?

I have 2 ROKU Ultras, a TCL TV w/built-in ROKU tuner, and a ROKU streaming stick and there is zero audio quality difference compared to FiOS cable feed, over the air signal or fire stick.

Tried the stick when pondering cable cutting. Amazon Firestick pulled down the voltage on my input board and almost trashed my nice samsung TV. Notice this as it screwed up colour and brightness on the adjacent cable box input port 1.
I did not use the wall wart that came with it though. HDMI std has 5v on a pin. I guess the chipset in the stick was very current hungry. I didn't have a USB port nearby or open 117v outlet for the wall wart. Mystery as these get dongled on laptops. Thing now sits in it's box collecting dust.

This week I took a 21-mile trip to a comcast brick store to try and negotiate a lower cable bill. Waste of time. They would give me 12 channels basic "grandma" cable package and choked internet for $160/mo. I am currently being ravaged to the tune of $271/month for just one T.V feed and triple play. NO HBO or Showtime or premium sports add ons. And they took away my TMC. Costs more than my new car payment!
internet

What to do.

Thinking some smarty pants t.v. and Consolidated Cable med speed internet.

What does this mean? Please explain how it "destroyed" the sound on your TV. Are you saying that it permanently damaged the audio components on the SONY TV or are you suggesting that the audio signal is compressed and degraded through the ROKU streaming device?

I have 2 ROKU Ultras, a TCL TV w/built-in ROKU tuner, and a ROKU streaming stick and there is zero audio quality difference compared to FiOS cable feed, over the air signal or fire stick.

Can’t speak for you. Sony “Bravia” tv r that’s 3 years old. 4 months ago ROKU 4K streamer connected to tv; sound was like making popcorn internally. Troubleshoot it, tv is fine. Tried lots. Of fixes, yiutube and friends help. Resetting ROKU worked for only 3 days at time, then sound gone. Very irritating. The Roku streamer was barely 3 years old. If it was good; then our troubleshooting was bad. Had 3 ROKU before; never, EVER had it do this to a tv. It basically put sound where it thought should be; not where SONY tv said it has to be.

Can’t speak for you. Sony “Bravia” tv r that’s 3 years old. 4 months ago ROKU 4K streamer connected to tv; sound was like making popcorn internally. Troubleshoot it, tv is fine. Tried lots. Of fixes, yiutube and friends help. Resetting ROKU worked for only 3 days at time, then sound gone. Very irritating. The Roku streamer was barely 3 years old. If it was good; then our troubleshooting was bad. Had 3 ROKU before; never, EVER had it do this to a tv. It basically put sound where it thought should be; not where SONY tv said it has to be.
Were you powering the roku from tv power or power adapter?

HDMI std has 5v on a pin.
I’m not very savvy on this. The 5v may be a trigger or remote turn on so a device using that port can turn the tv on or vice versa. I have a sound bar that turns on when the tv is powered on and shuts off when the tv is off. I wouldn't think it’s meant to physically power something wires are very thin to pull power through especially longer cables would have a more ill affect

This week I took a 21-mile trip to a comcast brick store to try and negotiate a lower cable bill. Waste of time. They would give me 12 channels basic "grandma" cable package and choked internet for $160/mo. I am currently being ravaged to the tune of $271/month for just one T.V feed and triple play. NO HBO or Showtime or premium sports add ons. And they took away my TMC. Costs more than my new car payment!
internet

What to do.

Thinking some smarty pants t.v. and Consolidated Cable med speed internet.

Does Verizon offer FiOS high speed internet service in your area? In some area of N.H., the cost is $49.99/mo. fees & taxes included for 300 Mbps (or $24.99/mo. with certain Verizon cell phone plans).

Verizon FiOS Offers in N.H.

YouTube TV is $72.99/mo. for the basic package (100+ channels) which is not bare bones. YouTube TV offers a $10 discount for the first 3 months for new subscribers and a short (~7 days?) free trial period if you want to test drive before signing up. No contracts, unlimited cloud DVD recordings and you can pause your membership for 1 to 6 months or you can take the service with you if you travel for short periods (<30 days?). Stream YTTV on up to 3 viewing devices simultaneously (e.g., 3 TV sets, or 1 TV& 1 laptop & 1 phone, or 2 TVs & 1 phone, etc.).

YouTube TV Info

Does Verizon offer FiOS high speed internet service in your area? In some area of N.H., the cost is $49.99/mo. fees & taxes included for 300 Mbps (or $24.99/mo. with certain Verizon cell phone plans).

Verizon FiOS Offers in N.H.

YouTube TV is $72.99/mo. for the basic package (100+ channels) which is not bare bones. ///
Thanks!
I tried YT tv with a big Roku box when YT tv was first offered a few years ago. Def a good TV package for sure. But disappointed when I didn't like the Roku interface whatsoever or picture quality (blurring and motion jaggies) vs comcast cable box and that was with a LAN cable hardwire data not wifi.

I had found a "free" app that had local channel T.V. in the Boston area, but I forget what that was now, lol., I am too far for an antenna unless it's a giant mast on the roof with an amp. I actually may look into that.

Given my past terrible experience with Verizon up here, I am not going there ever again. But they are not offering plans in my area.

Consolidated Cable is doing business as Fidium in my area, I may give then a shot. Will the entry level 100MBS down and up data rate be enough? This is glass right to the router not copper.

Thank you again @Nukeman7 for responding !

fidium.jpg

I’m not very savvy on this. The 5v may be a trigger or remote turn on so a device using that port can turn the tv on or vice versa. I have a sound bar that turns on when the tv is powered on and shuts off when the tv is off. I wouldn't think it’s meant to physically power something wires are very thin to pull power through especially longer cables would have a more ill affect
It's power. Just researched it and many time the powering device for HDMI in is limited to a 1/4 of an amp.
And just read the Firestick wants one amp. Maybe I will try it again if I can find a place to plug in the power supply.

Back