40" TCL Roku TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came across my inbox the other day and thought I'd share. I don't know if this is the first TV with Roku inside, but I think it's a great idea. Sony and Samsung and Vizio and all of these TV manufacturers sell televisions; they don't sell streaming devices. Instead of spending R&D dollars on putting their own streaming hardware in their TVs (and then trying to update them as new apps/services come out), using a COTS solution like Roku seems like a smart thing.

Example: we inherited a Sony XBR 40" from my folks when they upgraded to a larger Samsung, and the Sony has a number of streaming apps, but the interface is poor and you can't put newer services on it (like Vevo for example). If it had a Roku streaming chip instead of Sony's home-grown solution, I'd be able to add any Roku channel I like.

That said, I've never heard of TCL, though the TV seems to get good reviews. The price ($299 with free Prime shipping) is certainly right. I look forward to seeing if this trend develops into a market standard.

40" TCL Roku TV @ Amazon.com

TCL has been around for a while. Just another cheap chinese brand. They've had some pretty good deals in the past and are typically a low price leader when they're on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back