synthetic oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people experience better gas mileage.
It also helps to keep engines cleaner longer.
Sometimes you can get it for the same price as dino.
Less deposits and minimized sludging.

In my Z,it wouldn`t want to hit the powerband/redline with conventional,as if something was holding it back. Now that I use Mobil 1 15W50,it`ll brake the tires loose if I give it too much pedal after shifting into 2nd and hits the powerband as fast as you can blink. Plus the engine runs nice and cool,and the engine bay stays cool as well.

The engine internals look as if they just left the factory! Shiny as a mirror w/57k miles!

If you drive any kind`ve high-revving sports car,I feel synth is the only way to go. Just my observation from experience.

Quote:

In my Z,it wouldn`t want to hit the powerband/redline
with conventional,as if something was holding it back. Now that I use Mobil 1 15W50,it`ll brake the tires loose if I give it too much pedal after shifting into 2nd and hits the powerband as fast as you can blink. Plus the engine runs nice and cool,and the engine bay stays cool as well.

The engine internals look as if they just left the factory! Shiny as a mirror w/57k miles!

If you drive any kind`ve high-revving sports car,I feel synth is the only way to go. Just my observation from experience.

Agree. A must for high-revving engines. You must be using one of the PAO versions of M1 because M1 5w-20 is , consenually here a GRP III just like PP, not PAO and infact, it's numbers are less then PP (HT/HS is less and so is VI) not to mention the UOAs. (not sure abouty our weight of M1.. what do you use, 15x40?? whats that) PP and M1 performance is a wash based on a credible Impot car forum elsewhere but PP can be had on sale! Bargain hunters choice!

Also too, the true test of an oil is if it can give you all that without a hit at the gas pump. Are you getting less gas mileage, gut feeling, as a result of all the better revving? That is a better test of an oil's "mettle".. no pun intended. Glad to see the good vibes man.. More options can only help everyone at BITOG. can there be two great synthetics??!

Last edited:
I use the new Mobil 1 15W50,according to them,a group 4 PAO(I used to use the Extended Performance 15W50) w/Mobil 1 oil filter. I get incredible gas mileage on the highway. Mileage in the city varies on how I`m driving. I usually drive pretty slow and easy.

My car just really loves this oil! I`ve always been tempted to try Redline`s 15W50,but it`s hard too find,plus it`s around $10 a quart. The $23 for a 5 quart M1 jug at Walmart is more within my budget.

Quote:

Quote:

In my Z,it wouldn`t want to hit the powerband/redline
with conventional,as if something was holding it back. Now that I use Mobil 1 15W50,it`ll brake the tires loose if I give it too much pedal after shifting into 2nd and hits the powerband as fast as you can blink. Plus the engine runs nice and cool,and the engine bay stays cool as well.

Agree. A must for high-revving engines. You must be using one of the PAO versions of M1 because M1 5w-20 is , consenually here a GRP III just like PP, not PAO and infact, it's numbers are less then PP (HT/HS is less and so is VI) not to mention the UOAs. (not sure abouty our weight of M1.. what do you use, 15x40?? whats that) PP and M1 performance is a wash based on a credible Impot car forum elsewhere but PP can be had on sale! Bargain hunters choice!

Also too, the true test of an oil is if it can give you all that without a hit at the gas pump. Are you getting less gas mileage, gut feeling, as a result of all the better revving? That is a better test of an oil's "mettle".. no pun intended. Glad to see the good vibes man.. More options can only help everyone at BITOG. can there be two great synthetics??!

Why is syn oil a must for high revving engines?
Does the Honda come with syn from the factory? I guess the Honda engineers are just plain stupid for such an oversite.

I would say alot of Tucks use mineral oils and they rev hard and all day long also. Just needs to be chaged more often thats all.

Also, if your engine has a shearing problem, a synth will not break apart as easily as dino. Timing chains could be a possible cause of shearing, for instance.
I use dino now.

would there be any reason to NOT use synthetic in a car with 102,000 miles on it? and by the way im using Pennzoil platinum, is that a good one to use?

I've got 217k miles on my car - starting using syn at 81k when I bought it. If YOU want to run syn oil for whatever reason, go for it!

Pennz Plat is a great oil, too.

how does mobile 1 compare to pennzoil platinum? better? the same? the price is about the same and i was thinking mobile 1 might have a better name... dunno

Quote:

how does mobile 1 compare to pennzoil platinum? better? the same? the price is about the same and i was thinking mobile 1 might have a better name... dunno

Just drop some in and test it out. PP quieted my noisy fuel pump by atleast 50% if not more and evened out my gas needle which was broke up top meaning it would get stuck at way past full when you fill it up for like 50 miles then drop down 3 marks all of a sudden. Believe it or not, the PP slowed the drop down to where it touches all the marks and gets stuck for less time up top (still get stuck which now is a good thing) Also the noisy fuel pump, well before you could hear it outside the minute you walk out but now its not as priminent to the point where you have to bend down and really loko to hear it. Now, the question is would M1 do the same thing and again, I would have to try it out to see. All I know is PP is really well tested. Look and click on the link below. I gave it a try and it has helped in areas other then revving and FE. I might try M1 to see if it can help me in those areas in the future. Oh, one other thing I reported was that PP feels heavier and that might have helped the low end torque a bit when just lugging around town. I still feel that way because this heaviness I feel down low does help with take offs. Everything else was maintained from the MC I came off of like highway king speeds/rpms and spirited driving when your RPMs stay at 2000 rpms and above. You gotta know I cruise around down at 1500-1700 rpms so it's real low until you want to start competing which starts at 2000 rpms.. as far as protection, I have UOAs here and the fact that it feels heavier down low just makes it feel like it is protecting real good..you just gotta try the oil to see.. i would have never guessed it would help me with noisy fuel pump and gas needle but it did and that made it more worthwhile then just the better low end grunt (did NOT change gearing, just made it better) and protection..hope that helps..

Quote:

Quote:

Just drop some in and test it out. PP quieted my noisy fuel pump by atleast 50% if not more and evened out my gas needle which was broke up top meaning it would get stuck at way past full when you fill it up for like 50 miles then drop down 3 marks all of a sudden. Believe it or not, the PP slowed the drop down to where it touches all the marks and gets stuck for less time up top (still get stuck which now is a good thing) Also the noisy fuel pump, well before you could hear it outside the minute you walk out but now its not as priminent to the point where you have to bend down and really loko to hear it. Now, the question is would M1 do the same thing and again, I would have to try it out to see. All I know is PP is really well tested. Look and click on the link below. I gave it a try and it has helped in areas other then revving and FE. I might try M1 to see if it can help me in those areas in the future. Oh, one other thing I reported was that PP feels heavier and that might have helped the low end torque a bit when just lugging around town. I still feel that way because this heaviness I feel down low does help with take offs. Everything else was maintained from the MC I came off of like highway king speeds/rpms and spirited driving when your RPMs stay at 2000 rpms and above. You gotta know I cruise around down at 1500-1700 rpms so it's real low until you want to start competing which starts at 2000 rpms.. as far as protection, I have UOAs here and the fact that it feels heavier down low just makes it feel like it is protecting real good..you just gotta try the oil to see.. i would have never guessed it would help me with noisy fuel pump and gas needle but it did and that made it more worthwhile then just the better low end grunt (did NOT change gearing, just made it better) and protection..hope that helps..

Unless you added Pennzoil Platinum to the fuel tank I don't understand how it made the fuel pump quieter or altered how the fuel gauge displayed. It must have magic properties.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Unless you added Pennzoil Platinum to the fuel tank I don't understand how it made the fuel pump quieter or altered how the fuel gauge displayed. It must have magic properties.

All I can tell you is before PP, I had a broke gas needle and noisy fuel pump and after putting PP in, I don't. I know how poeple can be incredulous but I am not in the business of making stuff up and I wouldn't even been able to conceive such a thing so it's totally beyond me and totally factual. Only a lawyer from Newyork who moonlights as a Taliban expert can convince you the oil didn't do it if the oil was the only variable and the only thing that changed. I have had this car for almost 30 thousand miles and for 29,999, I had a broke needle and extremely noisy fuel pump and now I don't. You gonna tell me that the oil didn't have anything to do with it when it did? Again, there is no way these things can be some freak coincidence given the above scenario. I'm satisfied but that doesn't mean I won't try another oil ever again. Since my racing has subsided, I am looking for a marriage and not a fling and I think PP might be it.

Last edited:
You need to start posting in the Humor section. I laugh so much when I read what you write.
laugh.gif

thats OK, i believe you 06 - the pp had to of helped the fuel filter. i changed my oil a few weeks ago, the tire pressure jumped up 10 psi and the chips on my hood have disapeared. im not even running synthetic yet, no way - not untill the magical 30,000 mile mark per your recc. then i guess ill settle down and tie the knot with some syn. and head to the streets to race with my added 10+(at least) horsepower. when i rev on the guy next to me he'll know not to mess as my motor will be way too free reving for anything he'll be running.

Quote:

thats OK, i believe you 06 - the pp had to of helped the fuel filter. i changed my oil a few weeks ago, the tire pressure jumped up 10 psi and the chips on my hood have disapeared. im not even running synthetic yet, no way - not untill the magical 30,000 mile mark per your recc. then i guess ill settle down and tie the knot with some syn. and head to the streets to race with my added 10+(at least)
horsepower. when i rev on the guy next to me he'll know not to mess as my motor will be way too free reving for anything he'll be running.

Well there are oil that specialize in free -revving. PP is the only thing I trust to rev decent and protect. The others are just one trick ponies if UOAs are any indication. Again people get so consumed with envy that they cannot even read what I wrote. The oblivious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back