synthetic oil in lawn mower engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a new snapper mower last year with Robin 6 hp engine. Engine has cast iron cylinder sleeve. When i asked if I could use synthetic oil in the engine, the manufacturer said it recommended against it and stated that the sythetic oil could cause oil failure within a couple of hundred hours. I still don't understand the comment.

Anyone ever hear of this?

Manufacturers have an interest in selling you a new mower....I would check an online snapper mower forum if it exists.

If it was me, I would use syn oil and not worry about it.

Dan

I've got a front throw mower with a Briggs and Stratton 3.5 HP motor on it and the owner's manual actually prefers a 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic oil for all temperatures. It states that you can use conventional oils, being a straight 30W for temperatures above freezing and a 5 or 10W-30 below freezing. Right now my mower has 5W-30 Mobil 1 in it, no problems at all and starts up first pull.

Whoever you talked to at the manufacturer knows nothing about oil. I am not aware of ANY application where synthetic can cause harm of any kind...other than leaks in high mileage engines. I use Amsoil in all my small engines - and I have quite a few of them.

I use whatever synthetics I have left over for the autos and it works perfect! I run Lucas every other tank. It starts first pull every time!

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8700 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 85500 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Most small engined equipment (mowers/ blowers) use splash type lube. I put synthetic in all my small engines. Whoever you talked to must have be inhaling way too much two-stroke smoke...
rolleyes.gif

Zmoz: "Whoever you talked to at the manufacturer knows nothing about oil."

road rascal: "Whoever you talked to must have be inhaling way too much two-stroke smoke ..."

Bingo! These people should stick to designing, building and supporting engines and stop spreading wacky rumors about "synthetic" oil ruining motors.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

I'd contact Robin again. If you receive the same response, ask for more specifics as to exactly how synthetic oil causes the failures. Make a point of asking for the person's name & title.

Is this the EH18V engine with the pressurized lube & spin off filter? The recommended oil is SAE 30 or 10W-30, API service grade SE,SF or higher.

I couldn't figure it out either. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Yes its the EH18V with filter. Great engine and I've currently got john Deere straigt 30 oil in it. Next OC will likely go to a pure synthetic.

first5ny was a that a staff member at the dealership who said that ... or did you see it in writing somewhere?

My Nissan manual says to use "mineral oil" and I believe it's written down because they want to be on record as opposing the "Amsoil Mentality" which I describe as people thinking and saying: "I use Amsoil so I don't have to change my oil for 25,000 miles."

--- Bror Jace

quote:

first5ny was a that a staff member at the dealership who said that ... or did you see it in writing somewhere?

This was directly from the mouth of one of Robin's techs, not the dealer or salesman. I called Robin directly.

I will go with a good synthetic next Probably a 10W-30.

quote:

Purchased a new snapper mower last year with Robin 6 hp engine. Engine has cast iron cylinder sleeve. When i asked if I could use synthetic oil in the engine, the manufacturer said it recommended against it and stated that the sythetic oil could cause oil failure within a couple of hundred hours. I still don't understand the comment.

Anyone ever hear of this?

YEP. That's due to a combination of ignorance and sale's hype.

Run a good synthetic 10W30 or a "blend" of 15W40 viscosity and your engine will thank you.

From Briggs & Stratton website:

"We have recently modified our engine oil recommendations to state that you may now use a synthetic 5W30 or 10W30 oil in all temperature ranges. We recommend the use of Briggs & Stratton Synthetic Oil (p/n 100074). The use of this high quality detergent oil assures compliance with Briggs & Stratton warranty requirements regarding the use of appropriate oil.

Please keep in mind that the use of synthetic oil does not preclude you from performing your regularly scheduled maintenance (i.e. check oil, change oil, etc.)"

They sell 5-30 synthetic oil under the Briggs & Stratton brand that says specifically "recommended for use in all air cooled small engines".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back