Did You Do A "Break-In" Oil Change On Your Riding Lawn Mower/Zero-Turn?

Kohler said 5 hours - so yes - Mobil 1 10W30 + Fram XG3614
Put the dumbest 20+ hours ever on mine - was done mowing - and the shed where I park it has a dog kennel attached - a blanket was sticking out and the blades sucked it up - quick look under and decided to walk off & fight that mess another day … Left the key on and it counted engine hours until the battery died 😡

So here is another question out of curiosity. I looked but i didn't really see an answer on the kawi page, I see people recommending a bunch of different types of oil filters, Fram etc. but what about warranty, will kawi warranty it or do you have to use a kawi filter. I still have a kawi on mine but was going to go to fram

So here is another question out of curiosity. I looked but i didn't really see an answer on the kawi page, I see people recommending a bunch of different types of oil filters, Fram etc. but what about warranty, will kawi warranty it or do you have to use a kawi filter. I still have a kawi on mine but was going to go to fram
Safest course of action is just go OEM during warranty.

Reactions: SA1
Hey guys wondering what brand of filter's are you running on the ZT-3100 transaxles. I think they take the same filter as the ZT-2800 as there basically the same.

Also does anyone have any thoughts on Royal purples 20w50 HPS with high zinc / phosphorus anti-wear additive, Thanks

Hey guys wondering what brand of filter's are you running on the ZT-3100 transaxles. I think they take the same filter as the ZT-2800 as there basically the same.

Also does anyone have any thoughts on Royal purples 20w50 HPS with high zinc / phosphorus anti-wear additive, Thanks
You won’t really find a lot of fans of royal purple on this forum, but I’m sure it would be fine.

You won’t really find a lot of fans of royal purple on this forum, but I’m sure it would be fine.
LOL, I just happen to see it on Amazon discounted so figured I'd ask, I think any brand name 20w50 synthetic will be sufficient though. I can seem to find any cross references to filters that will fit the ZT-3100 like Fram, Mobil etc

LOL, I just happen to see it on Amazon discounted so figured I'd ask, I think any brand name 20w50 synthetic will be sufficient though. I can seem to find any cross references to filters that will fit the ZT-3100 like Fram, Mobil etc
If I remember right, I saw a post where someone said that the filter specs for these Hydro Gear transaxles don’t have the same specs as engine oil filters, with regard to flow and/or bypass valve opening, etc.

Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Thanks, I was starting to figure that, most everyone seems to be using WIX which I can find up here anywhere, I 'll call some of the dealers tomorrow and see what they are using.

With about 20 hours on my new 2022 Gravely ZT-XL (42", 21.5 HP Kawasaki FR651V 726cc air-cooled v-twin, Hydro-Gear ZT-2800 transaxles) that I bought in September when we moved into our new-to-us house on 1.1 acres, I'm considering going ahead and changing the oil and filter soon.

I've decided to use Mobil 1 15W-50, since the oil temps on these air-cooled engines can get pretty high (around 260*F from what someone posted here), and the Kawasaki engines have been known to use a bit of oil, and also because the hydrostatic transaxles' factory fill is, from what I understand, M1 15W-50, and it'll simplify things just to use one oil for both.

The engine did use a few ounces of oil in the first few hours of use, and I topped off with M1 15W-50. However, since that first few hours, it's used very little (not enough to need topping off).

Anyway, with mowing season now in full swing, I'm mowing every week, and daytime highs will soon regularly be over 90*F. So I'm leaning towards going ahead and draining the FF in the next few weeks and filling with the M1 15W-50, despite the fact that the Kawi engine manual doesn't specify an oil change until 100 hours, and a filter change is not required until 200 hrs.

I haven't made a decision on which oil filter to use and I'm open to suggestions if there's something better than the OEM Kawi 49065-0721.

So, what did you guys do?View attachment 158561View attachment 158562
I got my mower from the previous owner of my house. It only had about 10 hours on it. I changed the oil with the Kohler 300 hour kit. I since changed it at 100 hours with Amsoil 10w 40 small engine oil. They make the 10w 50 oil for Kohler. I did not change the filter though since the oil looked ok and it is a 300 hour filter. I will be changing both this fall. I intend to use a regular Kohler filter and the Amsoil 10w 40. and change it every Fall after that. I know it's overkill. I hate having used oil sitting over the winter in the crankcase). I caught a good sale on the Amsoil a while back. The 10w 40 Amsoil small engine says its recommended for Kohler engines. (Could be B.S. too)

I got the Kubota K 2290.I did per manual 8 hour change and filter.I do Kawi oil and filter,for warrenty purposes.I did Polaris lab oil analsis and came out excellent.Keep oil changed,air filter clean,non ethanol gas,run the engine speed fast.These will last a long time,no need to overthink this

With about 20 hours on my new 2022 Gravely ZT-XL (42", 21.5 HP Kawasaki FR651V 726cc air-cooled v-twin, Hydro-Gear ZT-2800 transaxles) that I bought in September when we moved into our new-to-us house on 1.1 acres, I'm considering going ahead and changing the oil and filter soon.

I've decided to use Mobil 1 15W-50, since the oil temps on these air-cooled engines can get pretty high (around 260*F from what someone posted here), and the Kawasaki engines have been known to use a bit of oil, and also because the hydrostatic transaxles' factory fill is, from what I understand, M1 15W-50, and it'll simplify things just to use one oil for both.

The engine did use a few ounces of oil in the first few hours of use, and I topped off with M1 15W-50. However, since that first few hours, it's used very little (not enough to need topping off).

Anyway, with mowing season now in full swing, I'm mowing every week, and daytime highs will soon regularly be over 90*F. So I'm leaning towards going ahead and draining the FF in the next few weeks and filling with the M1 15W-50, despite the fact that the Kawi engine manual doesn't specify an oil change until 100 hours, and a filter change is not required until 200 hrs.

I haven't made a decision on which oil filter to use and I'm open to suggestions if there's something better than the OEM Kawi 49065-0721.

Yep, I did mine around 10 hours. If I’m not mistaken, that engine calls for 10W-30. A 15W-50 is a bit heavy especially for a new engine with tighter tolerances. That’s just my .02 but a 10W-30 will keep that engine perfectly happy.

Yep, I did mine around 10 hours. If I’m not mistaken, that engine calls for 10W-30. A 15W-50 is a bit heavy especially for a new engine with tighter tolerances. That’s just my .02 but a 10W-30 will keep that engine perfectly happy.

IMG_3030.jpeg

The manual allows for more than one viscosity depending on ambient temps.

Manufacturing tolerances have no effect on oil grade.

The Kawasaki OPE engines have a reputation for using oil, especially in commercial use where they’re run all day long by possibly unscrupulous crews who don’t necessarily make it a priority to monitor oil level on the machines.

So, a lot of owners run a thicker oil to reduce possible consumption.

Most important thing on these is keeping an eye on the oil level, regardless of what oil is used.

View attachment 183698

The Kawasaki OPE engines have a reputation for using oil, especially in commercial use where they’re run all day long by possibly unscrupulous crews who don’t necessarily make it a priority to monitor oil level on the machines.

Most important thing on these is keeping an eye on the oil level, regardless of what oil is used.
I didn’t know about the rep for burning oil, while mine is not used for commercial, Ive never had to add to mine yet, but I run 15w-40, I don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

I used 0w40 M1 and below freezing it was really slow to crank in my F510. Got 5w30 in it now but it's not used as a mower just a hauler. Hasn't got below freezing yet but I intend to use it this winter if there is no snow on the ground.

View attachment 183698

Interesting! Thanks for the info!

Once I found at how much two zt3400 hydro gears cost I did the break in change at 400hrs. Was supposed to be done at 75hrs.

My 3200 Hydros had a lot of metal in the first oil change at about 50 hrs. Good to get that stuff out of there.

That's why I run oil filter magnets to keep that trapped in the oil
filter to remove it from circulating in the engine. (Filter Mag.com)

I run these on the oil filters of both of my pickup trucks as well.

Back