Synthetic blends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dually
Are synthetic blend oils worth the extra money?

I think they're worth the extra $2.00 for a 5 quart bottle yes.

It depends. It depends on whether the oil maker wants to make a superior product or just superior marketing.

A syn blend can consist of low grade conventional base oil plus enough low quality Asian Group III so it reaches the SN & GF-5 specs. And charge more because it is a "syn blend."

Or, a syn blend can be a superior product with the best conventional base oil plus top quality Group III or PAO syn added. (Yes, there are quality & price differences in the Group III.) Schaeffer's 7000 series of synthetic blends are in this category. There is little difference in the superior performance of their syn blends and a full syn except in very low temperatures.

IMO, I think MC is about the best syn-blend oil on the market, and priced right too.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Schaeffer's 7000 series of synthetic blends are in this category. There is little difference in the superior performance of their syn blends and a full syn except in very low temperatures.

Schaeffer pioneered semi-syns armed with this knowledge years ago.

Well, after 16 years in Ford/Lincoln-Mercury service departments and following hundreds of high mileage 4.6 engines, I have to agree. From up at the cam followers and timing chains/guides down to the mains and rods, there was remarkably little wear in 200-400k mile engines and no sludge whatsoever when the owners adhered to the suggested 5k interval.

Originally Posted By: troberts
Well, after 16 years in Ford/Lincoln-Mercury service departments and following hundreds of high mileage 4.6 engines, I have to agree. From up at the cam followers and timing chains/guides down to the mains and rods, there was remarkably little wear in 200-400k mile engines and no sludge whatsoever when the owners adhered to the suggested 5k interval.

my ford dealer always puts the sticker for 3k, but I still run 5k with mc or tropartic and bosch premium filters. worked pretty good so far.

On another thread though it was being discussed that the fuel efficiency benefit plus the extended oci, it may actually be cheaper to run a good syn like m1 afe or qsud. just a thought.

Originally Posted By: lockguy
my ford dealer always puts the sticker for 3k,
Your dealer is way behind the curve.

I had the oil changed on my company-owned work van at a GM dealer (it was already there for other required work) and their sticker says 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: troberts

troberts, you know these engines very well. If you owned one, or maybe you do, what 5WXX oil would you use? Or would you choose an 0WXX oil?

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: lockguy
my ford dealer always puts the sticker for 3k,
Your dealer is way behind the curve.

Way behind the curve!

The Ford dealers in Miami-Dade and Broward County have been putting the sticker for 5K mile OCI [or 6 months] for about 10 years now for the 5W20 Blend.

For 5W20 Full Synthetic they recommend 7500 OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back