Syntec 0-30 is "Made in Germany"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
dragboat: Go by your local VW dealer and pick up a quart. It's Group III and smells like oil to me.

Johnny, have you ever smelled the regular Syntec? It doesn't smell like oil at all. It has a very sweet odor, almost detergent like. Mobil 1 doesn't smell like oil either. It has a plastic-like odor.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Found that the NEW bottles of Syntec in only the 0-30 grade are labelled as "Made in Germany" for Castrol N.A. Found that was interesting. It's also listed as being ACEA A1/B1/A3/B3/A4/B4 and M-B 229.1 and 229.3, BMW Long-Life 01, VW 505 and Porsche approved.

The stuff smells slightly different than the other grades of Syntec and seems "green" in color. Is this a different beast altogether from the other Syntecs?

They must have worked on it some ?

To answer your question on the 5/40 it is at our largest independent wholesaler of Castrol oils and headed to the Auto Parts Houses ect I heard and it might be near 6 bucks a quart
shocked.gif

From the Castrol site:
SAE 0W-30: Is for winter conditions. Exceeds European ACEA: A1 and all requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards

[ February 05, 2003, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Yeah, the website is not up-to-date. In fact, yesterday I email Castrol and the reply was: "We don't have specs on oils sold outside of N.A.". Retards...had to tell them that it was sold here.

It's the 0-30 with the NEW green/fancy labels with the large classic/new Castrol logo...look at the back label...it's different than last week's Syntec 0-30.

I spotted some today at the Walmart on Airport Road/Queen Street in Brampton! They also had the old 0w30 there too, which said made in USA, and didn't list all the same specs on the back (such as BMW long life, ACEA A3, etc.)

So this oil is for sure PAO/ester and not group 3 then?

Now I have to figure out which car to test it out in (my mom's? my sister's?)

[ February 08, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Ever since I spotted this oil today I've been thinking about it. I must be the most indecisive person when it comes to the oil I am going to run in my mom and sister's cars! But I think I finally have the plan!
smile.gif
I will use the GTX 5w30 I bought for my sister, in my mom's car. She only drove 600 miles since I changed her oil before Christmas, so her car would do fine with GTX changed twice a year. I will now go with the Castrol 0w30 in my sister's car starting with her upcoming oil change in a few weeks. The first interval will be 6k, the next interval I will run out to the fall, whatever the mileage ends up being (it'll probably be 10k+) Then depending on how I like the results, I will probably go with a twice a year (or three times) interval with her. She drives about 500 miles a week.

I just hope Castrol plans on continuing to sell this oil up here, and it wasn't a mistake and we're only going to find small samples of it in obscure locations.

Who wants to bet $20 that Castrol, N.A. ONLY sells this oil in Canada? Well never see it here in good ole' "know-it-all", "we're the best period", and "always right" U.S. of A! Sorry for the sarcasm, had to let it out.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Jefferson:
Who wants to bet $20 that Castrol, N.A. ONLY sells this oil in Canada? Well never see it here in good ole' "know-it-all", "we're the best period", and "always right" U.S. of A! Sorry for the sarcasm, had to let it out.

You guys are just going to have to all move north to keep me company up here!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Found at a local newly opened Wal-Mart in Toronto. Why do you think it's PAO based?

Because the Castrol synthetics made in Germany are PAO based. Plus, from what I've read elsewhere, it's virtually impossible to make a 0wXX oil from a Group III base oil, the one exception being a wax isomerate like Shell's XHVI or ExxonMobil's ExxSyn.

What about the "made in USA" Syntec 0w30 though? It's group 3, isn't it? Looking at the specs on it's bottles here though, it's not impressive, it doesn't show all the ones that the made in Germany 0w30 shows.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
What about the "made in USA" Syntec 0w30 though? It's group 3, isn't it? Looking at the specs on it's bottles here though, it's not impressive, it doesn't show all the ones that the made in Germany 0w30 shows.

It's been reported than when Castrol first went to Group III, the base oil they used was Shell's XHVI. So I suppose it's possible that the 0w30 made in the US could still use that base oil. I would suspect, however, that Castrol ran the numbers and figured it was cheaper in the long run to import the European 0w30 than to keep producing the Group III product here. Plus, the European 0w30 has better numbers and can come closer to competing with Mobil 1 0w30 than the Group III product could.

this is a babelfish translation off the german site:
quote:

Castrol FORMULA SLX SAE 0W-30 - the intelligent Eco Vollsynthese

Performance classes: API SL/CF - ACEA A3/B3/B4 - exceeds 503 01 (9/99) approved after VOLKSWAGEN, 502 00 and 505 00 (1/97) - MT 229,3 BMWS (Longlife-01)

Castrol FORMULA SLX is the intelligent Eco full synthesis. By its innovative molecular structure and its trend-setting additive technology it reacts flexibly to each driving conditions. Thus it protects the engine reliably in all phases of the most diverse demands, which can occur in the daily employment and with the different styles of driving:

· with many cold weather startings and short distances
· with frequent stop and Go-traffic
· with long full power distances
· with extreme heat or cold weather

Castrol FORMULA SLX provides by its outstanding lubricating and flow characteristic for a reliable and persistent protection of the engine .

Castrol FORMUL A SLX fulfills the substantially higher requirements, which place the new long oil change intervals against engine oils by its special development. It reduces besides the oil consumption.

Castrol FORMULA SLX secures high engine cleanliness and prevents the formation of deposits - important for a durable and problem-free function of the engine.

Castrol FORMULA SLX saves constantly and continuously fuel , during the gesam ten period of the oil change intervals.

Just as a matter of discussion regarding Castrol oil sources and production. Has anyone here in the U.S. ever driven by a Castrol refinery? Right, there are none... Every drop of Castrol product produced here in the U.S. is made and bottled by someone other than Castrol for Castrol. So, yes, Castrol products may indeed come from just about anywhere, made by just about anyone from just about any base stocks!!
It would certainly be an interesting project for someone to undertake although it would take CIA level undercove to define just who is making what oil and where they are blended for Castrol. It would be a most enlightening discovery paper indeed!

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
Just as a matter of discussion regarding Castrol oil sources and production. Has anyone here in the U.S. ever driven by a Castrol refinery? Right, there are none... Every drop of Castrol product produced here in the U.S. is made and bottled by someone other than Castrol for Castrol. So, yes, Castrol products may indeed come from just about anywhere, made by just about anyone from just about any base stocks!!
It would certainly be an interesting project for someone to undertake although it would take CIA level undercove to define just who is making what oil and where they are blended for Castrol. It would be a most enlightening discovery paper indeed!

I've read on the global Castrol website that Castrol does have blending facilities in the US, though no refineries. They do blend and bottle their own oil in the US.

Castrol's refineries in the U. S. process more than 1.5 million barrels of crude oil daily...of course, those refineries have the parent company's name on them--BP. BP is big in the lubricants business in Europe, not very big in the U. S.

It doesn't matter to me if BP's Castrol USA unit buys base material or makes it. As long as they put out an excellent product with consistency and fair price, I'm OK with that. Schaeffer doesn't refine oil, neither does Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, who else....

I don't use Castrol Syntec (Gr-III), but their imported stuff with the ACEA A3 rating sounds like it's worth a close look.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

It's been reported than when Castrol first went to Group III, the base oil they used was Shell's XHVI. So I suppose it's possible that the 0w30 made in the US could still use that base oil. I would suspect, however, that Castrol ran the numbers and figured it was cheaper in the long run to import the European 0w30 than to keep producing the Group III product here. Plus, the European 0w30 has better numbers and can come closer to competing with Mobil 1 0w30 than the Group III product could.

What are the technical specs on this oil though? I couldn't find anything in a search on the Castrol website Ken posted above.

DR T and others that are interested I have dug a small amount of information up about the Castrol Syntec 5/40
VI @ 100C 12.80
cP @ -25C 3300 Max
HTHS 4.5
Pour Point -33C
ZN 1.0 percent wt
Phos 0.09 " "
Flash Point 405 F
Sulfur % wt 0.25
Vi Index 175
TBN 11

No VI @ 40C,no MRV ,his is all I recieved. Now out of curiosity I would like to see the updated specs of their 0/30

Their are some new 5/40's coming if not already available that should be a buck or so less a quart than this oil.

I would like to see some analysis of them.

[ February 10, 2003, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

That looks like a very interesting oil Dragboat! HTHS of 4.5 is very impressive, especially for a thin 40wt. That's actually the thinnest 40wt oil I've seen. I think that oil would work perfectly in an LT1 or LS1 engine.

I think an overlooked oil in the Syntec line is the 10/40/ It has the A3/B3 spec and is a High 30wt @ 13.2 @ 100C,,well a bit over a 30 wt but I think it would run circles around the Syntec 10/30 which is a A1/B1 oil and the VI @ 100C is 10.0 for the same price.HT/HS of the 10/40 is 3.8 vs 3.1 for the 10/30,,pretty dang good for a relatively light wt 40.

But with other oils available I doubt ole dragboat will ever see first hand how any of the Syntecs perform other than through analysis posted on this forum
smile.gif

Regarding the Castrol U.S. Blending facilities.. Yes, it is just that the Castrol facilities are located inside ExxonMobil, Chevron, Petro Canada buildings! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back