Syntec 0-30 is "Made in Germany"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
Regarding the Castrol U.S. Blending facilities.. Yes, it is just that the Castrol facilities are located inside ExxonMobil, Chevron, Petro Canada buildings! :)

Not true. (PetroCanada does, however, make the 5w40 Syntec sold at VW, BMW, and MB dealers.)

dragboat, thankx a lot. Great info. Just to clarify though...that's a 10-40 not a 5-40? And I haven't checked the local VW dealerships, but that grade isn't available in Canada...and the spec. sheet I have (Castrol Can.) doesn't list it either. Does anyone know if this grade is available in Canada?

Guys, where did the "Syntec is made by Petro Canada" come from? When one looks up the stats for their oil, even though they make a 5-20, 5-30, 10-30, 10-40 and a 20-50 conventional oil, they only offer a 5-30 and 10-30 in synthetic. They are down the street from me and it would be an easy inquiry...I would just love to know where this knowledge came from?

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Guys, where did the "Syntec is made by Petro Canada" come from? When one looks up the stats for their oil, even though they make a 5-20, 5-30, 10-30, 10-40 and a 20-50 conventional oil, they only offer a 5-30 and 10-30 in synthetic. They are down the street from me and it would be an easy inquiry...I would just love to know where this knowledge came from?

There is a Syntec 5w40 that is sold only at VW, BMW, and MB dealers. Johnny posted that it was made by PetroCanada for Castrol.

Ill almost bet that BMW's synthetic 5w-30 oil is also made by PetroCanada as it looks and smells different AND most importantly, it performs ALLOT better! At least from the analysis that ive seen.

Im using it right now in my wifes 99 Grand Am and will be doing an analysis shortly on it after its ran 1 year and 7,000+ miles! Ill let yall know how it does.

You know on topic of Petro Canada there is a distibutor right here in Oklahoma who stocks it,,and really for the amount of miles it is delivered the price is right on the oil.It should be priced even better up in Canada ?

If it goes as well and the Molyless
wink.gif
Lubro-Moly analysis here it's a good oil.

Dragboat, Petro Canada oil seems to be only sold in Petro Canada gas stations here, so it's priced pretty high, just like any oil sold in gas stations.

On the subject of the 0w30 German Syntec, I now have 4L of this stuff sitting in my oil shrine! Traffic was good coming home so I popped into Walmart and got it. There was only 1L left of the good 0w30, the rest were all the old group 3 stuff. I hope they replenish their stock!

I figured I'd better buy this stuff now before I changed my mind again on which oil to run in my sister's car!
smile.gif
This oil will be going in her car in about 3-4 weeks, then about 12 weeks after that she should have 6k on it and I'll have it analyzed. So I guess I'm the first guinea pig on this stuff.

Quote:
"So I guess I'm the first guinea pig on this stuff. "

Apparently not. There was only one bottle left , remember?
wink.gif

Just kidding,I know you mean on the forum. I bet it might put up some good numbers. Time will tell.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Quote:
"So I guess I'm the first guinea pig on this stuff. "

Apparently not. There was only one bottle left , remember?
wink.gif

Just kidding,I know you mean on the forum. I bet it might put up some good numbers. Time will tell.

Yep, others up here have bought it I'm sure, but I bet 99% that did won't do oil analysis, and didn't even know they were buying the new German version. I wouldn't be suprised if some people mixed up the old 0w30 with the new 0w30 and ended up with half and half in their engine. Now I just have to hope these stores replenish with more of the new 0w30. I think they will, since the German stuff has the new labels on it.

Patman, I saw some of the new 0-30 at the W.C./401 Wal-Mart as well...

I'd still love to know where the speculation comes from that the oil comes from Petro-Canada?

Otherwise, BMW has a contract with Castrol. If Petro-Can. supplies them, then that's a different story. How do you guys know? How can Petro-Can. be "made in Germany"?

quote:

I was there on Sunday morning and only saw the old 0w30 there. That's my "hometown" Walmart so hopefully they stock the new stuff often.
smile.gif

quote:

I'd still love to know where the speculation comes from that the oil comes from Petro-Canada?

Otherwise, BMW has a contract with Castrol. If Petro-Can. supplies them, then that's a different story. How do you guys know? How can Petro-Can. be "made in Germany"?

I don't think anyone has said the 0w30 "Made in Germany" is PetroCanada. The 5w40 sold at VW, BMW, and MB dealers is made for Castrol by PC according to Johnny.

Hey, that's freaky...I was there Sat. PM! We have to stop meeting like this!

quote:

Hey, that's freaky...I was there Sat. PM! We have to stop meeting like this!

Ya never know, we could've been in there at the same time one day and never even knew it!
smile.gif

[ February 11, 2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I was at the parts store yesterday and noticed something on the Castrol 0/30 bottle I spoke about earlier I need to post an update of sorts.

It said something to the effect of made in the USA for Castrol from Domestic and Imported something,,,but key to this it included " Not for sale outside the USA". So it is not the better spec oil at least these bottles .

quote:

I was at the parts store yesterday and noticed something on the Castrol 0/30 bottle I spoke about earlier I need to post an update of sorts.

It said something to the effect of made in the USA for Castrol from Domestic and Imported something,,,but key to this it included " Not for sale outside the USA". So it is not the better spec oil at least these bottles .

This is the same thing that's on the other grades of Syntec. This disclaimer probably isn't on the "Made in Germany" bottles.

quote:

Yes, the Syntec 0W-30 goes come from Germany. As it already exists there,
we decided to take
advantage of that production source. The base stock of the 0W-30 is PAO. In
this unique low
temperature application, it was found that PAO was the best way to go.

Susan Howell
Reference: 130778

Cool!

Now let's just hope it doesn't go up in price now! I just checked out a Walmart not too far from my work and they only had the old 0w30 there.

They didn't have any 5w40 Havoline synthetic either. Looks like Walmart's not carrying that anymore.

quote:

ours say 'not for resale outside of north america', but the 'made in usa from foreign/domestic ingredients' is only on the old stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg:

quote:

Yes, the Syntec 0W-30 goes come from Germany. As it already exists there,
we decided to take
advantage of that production source. The base stock of the 0W-30 is PAO. In
this unique low
temperature application, it was found that PAO was the best way to go.

Susan Howell
Reference: 130778

Is this a communication you got from Castrol? If so, it confirms that Syntec 0w30 is really the German SLX 0w30. I wouldn't hesitate to use this oil, since from what I've read, European Castrol synthetics are on the cutting edge as far as base oil and additive chemistry.

I've never seen any of this German 0w30 at any retail outlets in my area. In fact, I've never seen ANY Castrol 0w30 in my area.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back