Switching to Mobil 1 at 60K miles and 6 years old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. You may want to keep the intervals a little shorter like 5-7 k to begin with or do an auto rx cleaning if you want to get into extended OCI's .. Great engine that will work well with mobil 1

So far no problems for me with three vehicles:

2001 Cherokee 4.0L I6 with 112,000 switched at about 108,000.
1999 Miata 1.8L I4 with 89,000 switched ~5,000 miles ago.
1998 RAM 2500 360 V8 with 148,000 switched about ~200 miles ago (the Miata is more fun to drive).

All three are sporting Wix filters. The Miata is using a bit; just short of a quart so far. The Jeep's oil is looking quite dark and will get changed in the very near future. I'm considering going to M1 T&SUV in it. The truck has stopped tapping at start-up when it's been sitting unused for a week. Don't know if that's due to the oil or the filter. The Dodge and the Jeep had Pen 10W30 in them for their entire lives up to the point of switching (save for before the first change from the factory fill). The Miata is used; had about 81,000 on it when I got it and who knows what was in it from the dealership. I think that it has had synth. in it for most of its life, but I don't know that for sure. So far none of the three appear to have developed any leaks.

It was the research on the Miata that convinced me to switch to Mobile 1. A lot of Miata owners are having very good luck with it. At some point I ran across the web site of the garage that ran a comparison between Amsoil and Mobile 1 which cemented the idea to use it in all the machines, not just the Miata. Since we put a lot of miles on our vehicles it seems logical that we use an oil that can go a longer OCI. There you have it.

I switched:
83 MB 300D to M1 (Delvac 1 actually) at 200k... no problems at 228k
94 Toyota Previa at 160k... No problems at 197k
94 Acura Integra at 164k... No problems at 167k

And then also some lower mileage cars, all with no problems.

if youve maintained your car right, there should be no issues.

JMH

Ditto with everyone else. Also, what kind of M1 are you going with? dino, semi synthetic or full synthetic? If you do go full synthetic, do an Auto-rx cleaning or short intervals with M1. Start out with 5-6K miles, then increase by about 2-3000 miles intervals. Nice ride BTW! AR

Even assuming that the "syn cleans sludge exposing dry seals" theory of M1 causing leaks is correct, still highly unlikely in this case. From my own experience with this engine (Sequoia) and looking at everyone else's UOAs, it would be most unlikely that this engine had any sludge in it to begin with. You'd probably have to run it on bad dino for a couple years before it got dirty. With that in mind, I'd be very unconcerned about causing problems using M1 in this vehicle. In fact, I'd be enthusiastic about it, given how well the 2UZ seems to like it. Go for it.
cheers.gif

Every old engine I have put it in ends up developing leaks. Some alot, some minor. It's the rear seal that can be the pita to change of course. Gasket surfaces are easy. Pooring it in gets expensive, plus internal consumption. Tyr it and check yr results.

I been using M1 since 1984. Started it out in a brand new Omni and it only leaked traces in 96K.

J.

No problemo. M1 is a direct replacement for any dino oil and mixable except in a few distinct cases where a manufactuer specifically recommends against it. (Mazda RX-8)

quote:

Originally posted by jef1ge:
Every old engine I have put it in ends up developing leaks. Some alot, some minor. It's the rear seal that can be the pita to change of course. Gasket surfaces are easy. Pooring it in gets expensive, plus internal consumption. Tyr it and check yr results.

I been using M1 since 1984. Started it out in a brand new Omni and it only leaked traces in 96K.

J.

Certainly not doubting your experience. I put it in an 1980 Datsun with 80K, an 88 Ranger with 60K or so. , a 92 Corsica with maybe 75K, an 82 Pontiac with 80 K or so. Not one problem. Luck of the draw??

I switched from Conventional Pennzoil 10W-30 to M1 5W-30 in my '97 Camry 4-Cyl after 6 years / 55K miles. Now I use M1 EP 5W-30. Previous OCI was 3 months, now it is 6 months. I agree with the above post that you will probably want to have a few "short" OC intervals (~4 months?) since M1 does have a cleaning action. My engine was verified to be clean internally before the switch to M1, but now it is pretty shiney in there.

My experience has been good with both Conventional and Synthetic oils, but I am glad that I switched to Synth.

Best Wishes as you motor along!

Well I forgot I had a 88 Shadow 2.2 auto. I got it at 61k and changed to M1 right away, all weights and never remember it leaking. At 154k I got rid of it, used about a Qt. every 2400 mi. from the start to the finish.

Just that everything lately I use it in is leaking...Probably from going from so cold to summer temps, back to -25f, year after yr and then dump in some M1 and well ..

J.

IMO, no problem with Toyo engine.

I switched a 166k mile 350TBI SBC that's 10 years old to Valvoline Maxlline Synthetic and no leaks or problems yet. It had a constant diet of 5k mile dino OCI's its whole life.

Your Landcruiser is barely broken in now. Lots of mile ahead....

quote:

Originally posted by Pit Bull:
Anyone see a problem with this? Its a 1999 Toyota Landcruiser with the 4.7 V8.
Thanks

Ive been using synthetic since 9K on my 2002 Tacoma V6. Redline till 40K and now im using the rest of my amsoil 5W30. On my next oil change ill be swithcing over to amsoil series 3000 and changing the oil every 6 months regardless of milage. It comes to an average of about 7500 or less. You might want to flush then switch over to synthetic and you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back