Switching to Mobil 1 0w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Where do you guys find the best deal on Mobil 1 0W40? Thanks.

Typically Walmart. Their everyday price of $25/5qt jug is hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
But I went on their site, and the only "low ash" 15W-40 they list is the BioSyn Xtra HD Plus, which has a 3.7 HTHSV (which I take for granted is the ONE d00d was using), so I was WRONG, and it is essentially the same weight as M1 0W-40 as far as that is concerned (I did not look at MRVs).

RLI's data sheet says ">3.7" for HTHS, not 3.7 exactly. I'm pretty sure the real value is well above that.

MRVs are not comparable because they are indicated at different temps per the 15w/0w difference.

For me, the draw of RLI's 15w-40 Low Ash was twofold:

1. Low VII content. I hoped this would help control fuel dilution and oil consumption.
2. Low ash content. I hoped this would help control deposits and protect my emissions equipment (O2 sensors etc.).

Mobil 1 0w-40 has a higher number for sulfated ash (1.3% vs. 1.0% for the RLI) and presumably has more VII content.

Did you consider M1 10W-40 High Mileage? Less VII's although they don't list SA on the data sheet.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I've filled my cart and then left RLI's site many, many times over the years. I simply could not justify the added expense.

For me, I'm tightening my belt in the form of switching from Dyson analyses to Blackstone, at least for the FF. Even when you're not hurting for cash, a little belt tightening never hurts, and when you look back you may realize that RLI was an unnecessary expense all along.

With that said, this is our hobby, and there are worse things to spend money on, IMHO.

32.gif

OAI is even cheaper if you're making the switch to save $$$.
smile.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Did you consider M1 10W-40 High Mileage? Less VII's although they don't list SA on the data sheet.

-Dennis

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't consider that because it doesn't carry any third party approvals beyond the basic API and ACEA ones. Given that I'm going to be flying blind (i.e. without regular oil analysis), I wanted to make sure my oil had as many of the right kind of high-performance factory approvals as possible.

M1 0w40 should serve you well, and from all that I've read on this site, its one of the best oils Mobil produces.

To save a few extra bucks (if they have one that fits your BMW)....you might consider going to a top-tier, but reasonably priced filter...the Fram 'ULTRA'. If your OCI is 7500 or less, you can easily use it for two OCI's (2 X 7500)....since its warranted for 15K. At less than $9 at WalMart, its a real bargain.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
M1 0w40 should serve you well, and from all that I've read on this site, its one of the best oils Mobil produces.

To save a few extra bucks (if they have one that fits your BMW)....you might consider going to a top-tier, but reasonably priced filter...the Fram 'ULTRA'. If your OCI is 7500 or less, you can easily use it for two OCI's (2 X 7500)....since its warranted for 15K. At less than $9 at WalMart, its a real bargain.

It is very unlikely they make one for his BMW.

The BMW filter only costs a few bucks more than that, and it's always of top-notch quality. I won't be deviating from that any time soon.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I get the impression from Bill G @ RLI that their 15w40 and 5w40 are the same oil, just marketed differently. He has said that the 15w40 meets the specs for a 5w40, and almost for those of a 0w40.

That's strange, but cool, if it is actually true.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It is probably the best readily available oil in existence.

Could not agree more with the above, and I am almost convinced (like many on here) that's the case WITHOUT the italicized part above.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

-Dennis

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't consider that because it doesn't carry any third party approvals beyond the basic API and ACEA ones. Given that I'm going to be flying blind (i.e. without regular oil analysis), I wanted to make sure my oil had as many of the right kind of high-performance factory approvals as possible.

Don't the M1 HM oils have even more ZDDP than the (already high levels of) M1 0W-40??

I always though that sky high levels of ZDDP had to mean higher SA content, no?
21.gif

Don't the M1 HM oils have even more ZDDP than the (already high levels of) M1 0W-40??

Their data sheet doesn't say. I would guess so, but only if I had to....

I always though that sky high levels of ZDDP had to mean higher SA content, no?
21.gif

Usually, but not always AFAIK. I don't know why.

The BMW filter only costs a few bucks more than that, and it's always of top-notch quality. I won't be deviating from that any time soon.

Who makes these for the Bayerische; Mann, Hengst??

It used to be Mann or Mahle at my local dealers (different every time), but lately all they've been giving me is Mahle. Suits me just fine -- metal endcaps are cool looking. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back