Switching back to 5W20 (SuperTech) for mpg!

That’s easy.. you have the item in your hand as you walk out the store, mail you have to wait.
If you need it today, sure.

But oil is one of those things where there is usually a decent lead time, so you should be able to plan ahead?

I own a fleet of cars and each car gets at least 70000 miles per year. Oil is constantly being changed. The turbo Ecoboost version is not easy on oil. The non-turbo 3.7 Duratec is easy on oil. Im not expecting a big change in gas mileage but at this amount of miles and the price of gas even a half or 1 mpg will save thousands of dollars in gas.

I have never used dino oil and would not know where to find it. At Walmart everything on the shelf is mostly full synthetic with a few blends. I use SuperTech Advanced because it tested the best out of all the other oils I have tried.
I'm not sure ST is available in a true "conventional" (aka dino) version any longer; pretty much all brands are, at a minimum, a semi-syn of some sort. You might try using the least expensive ST product you can get locally; probably a semi-syn is available.

I guess part of the issue may be application related; do you have both n/a and turbo Cyclone engines in your fleet? Or are they all 3.7L n/a engines? The n/a engines really are easy on oil and won't be particular about the brand/grade in terms of wear control. So using a thinner lube for the effect of economy makes sense. It may be slight or imperceptible to a single car, but when multiplied across a fleet, it could well make a difference.

If you need it today, sure.

But oil is one of those things where there is usually a decent lead time, so you should be able to plan ahead?
I will agree with this… as much as I now have 4 (now 3.5) jugs of 5 quarts of oil “ready to go,” it took me YEARS to get to that point. I would always run straight to the store when I needed something before my newfound sense of having a limited supply.

Same logic as when we used to keep a quart of oil in the trunk of the car.

I've never got more than 1 mpg switching from 40 to 20 grades. And, usually it was considerably less. I don't expect some MPG with your vehicle just because of a 30 vs 20 grade, since most 30's shear into a 20, and 40 grades get beaten into a 30 often enough. And, too many oil grade testing show less than 2% improvement.... noticeable if you own a fleet and
I do agree that some weaker engines will feel the difference among grades, but haven't noticed a 0-60mph difference.
Maybe the smoothest/quietness 'seems' like less performance but really isn't. Not much difference than the make believe performance increase that some 'feel' with the added noise of farting exhaust cans and unmuffled intakes.

I have a hard time believing any appreciable differences in MPG or performance gains would be achieved between the two weights of oil.
With Navi's fleet it probably will show when doing the year end paperwork.

How is it faster to visit a Walmart than it is to receive a mail order item?
Ordering common, bulky Items online causes enormous waste of precious resources and pollution. Now multiply that by 10000000.
When I am doing a weekly grocery run, I will pick up motor oil and filter if a change is on the horizon.
It all in the same store. You just have to walk a 1/4 mile. And that's good for you, too.

When I had my 2008 Tacoma with the wheezer 4 cyl, and I used the recommended 5w-20 the mpg was a solid 1-1.5 better than 5w-30. The results were in the middle of the same season. Plus it was more eager to Rev and sounded happier doing it. IME

In all of my past or present vehicles, going from a w20 to a w40 oil yielded no improvement in engine response or mpg. I have tried this on a Mazda BP4W, Subaru FA20, Ford Duratec 3.0L, and jumped from a w30 to w40 on my Chevrolet L96.

I tried to be open minded when testing, although I failed because I really wanted to notice a difference. I still couldn't find one, whether it be in 0-60 times, mpg, or butt dyno.

I'm starting to think your guys butts are just better calibrated or more sensitive than mine...

One thing that I discovered on my cross-country drive is that the way the car "feels" may not reflect its actual performance.

There were days when the Camry felt that it was sluggish, or that my driving situation suggested a drop in mileage (like through mountainous terrain), but a check at the gas pump when filling the tank showed otherwise.

One of the best mileage figures I got was when I "felt" that the car wasn't doing well. I fully expected the mileage to be at the lower end of the spectrum when it was, in reality, the best tank I achieved to that point.

It seems like all my decisions nowadays are trying to increase the mpg with gas prices north of $3...lets hope the 5W20 can squeeze a little bit more mpg out of this engine.
$3 would be really nice right now, roughly $5.19 for 87 in my area and all three vehicle recommend 91.

I don't get using thicker oils when 5W-20 is called for. Nuttin wrong with 5-20...

When you can't resist the random deals and end up with a stash of nearly 100qts of 5w-30 you end up with a compelling reason.. I can say for my part I have 3 vehicles spec'd for 5w-20 running 5w-30 currently and I haven't noticed any difference in MPG's or how they sound/run/rev.

Honda currently running 0w40 and Expedition running 5w30 both spec'd for 5w20 and neither show any difference in mpgs. Now both are definitely quieter on the current oil vs the 5w20s, so I will run them heavier.

Ordering common, bulky Items online causes enormous waste of precious resources and pollution. Now multiply that by 10000000.
When I am doing a weekly grocery run, I will pick up motor oil and filter if a change is on the horizon.
It all in the same store. You just have to walk a 1/4 mile. And that's good for you, too.
No, it doesn't cause waste in many cases, can be even more conservative. I don't think you appreciate just how little gas it takes for a delivery truck that is passing by your address anyway, to stop and drop off a package. It's not merely a case of a truck gets packed full, rather each has a route so can easily squeeze in some motor oil delivered to the same route, more often than not. Besides, a 5qt jug of motor oil is smaller than many items these trucks carry, so I don't buy the "bulky" argument.

The UPS, Amazon, and FedEx trucks are passing by my house daily, anyway. They are more efficient than each individual customer, making more trips out to buy things, at different locations since one location never has all the things one might need, especially if picky about brand and cost conscious.

Some might ague that it then takes more trucks to make deliveries, but then each truck also drives fewer miles on their route to offset that, and it really does decrease the # and distances of trips that people make to acquire things locally, plus as already mentioned, each truck has a route they complete in a day, isn't going to change as much based on cargo capacity %.

My weekly grocery run is not always, even as frequent as weekly, so it seems likely you are more wasteful, and that trip is to a nearby store, that does not have much if any motor oil. I could drive much further to a store that has oil, perhaps Walmart, except that wastes gas and vehicle wear, and I hardly ever pay regular/daily price for oil, have a small stockpile acquired when it is on sale and/or with a rebate.

If you want to walk 1/4 mi for the benefits of walking, you don't have to drive anywhere to do that, unless you live in a dangerous neighborhood. My neighborhood is less dangerous than the typical walmart is. ;)

Add up total miles driven, and replacement of vehicles (considering you have a '20, and '22), and I bet I waste less than half the precious resources and cause less than half the pollution you do. Just sayin', you can't really have it both ways. If you didn't put on enough miles to need the newer vehicles then that was wasteful to get them. If you did, then that was also wasteful based on # of miles. I can appreciate that # of miles can also depend on where you live, but that is a choice, too!

"Multiply that by 10000000", and you are pointing fingers the wrong direction. Your picking up oil when you get groceries is just a token gesture that does not significantly offset the substantial waste of resources and pollution you are causing, so it is so very ironic that you would take your position about it.

Last edited:
I dont like using the thin stuff but am forced to because of mpg concerns and trying to squeeze out the last bit. The 3.7 Liter Duratec calls for 5W20, but I have used 5W30 and 5W40 in the past. So I put SuperTech 5W20 Advanced in it and I notice immediately the engine is a bit peppier and faster. Seems to run better with the 5W20. My observations in the past was the thicker stuff quieted the engine down overall, but there was a bit of performance lag.

It seems like all my decisions nowadays are trying to increase the mpg with gas prices north of $3...lets hope the 5W20 can squeeze a little bit more mpg out of this engine.
Do you have any actual emperical data to support this butt dyno? So much of this can just be placebo.

Do you have any actual emperical data to support this butt dyno? So much of this can just be placebo.
Honestly, I dont have the time to sit there with a stopwatch and record the 0 to 60 times or conduct any kind of scientific study. I drive very often and know what it feels like and with the 5W20 it felt peppier and there was more response from the throttle. The reader of the post should know that my feelings are subjective if no data is posted. I do spend more time in my cars then the usual commuter spends in their cars so I tend to notice things a lot more then the usual consumer.

Back