Switching back to 5W20 (SuperTech) for mpg!

I keep accurate MPG for every fillup in each of my 4 vehicles since day 1.
I used to use 5W-20 only. Now I only use 5W-30. I crunched the numbers, found no difference in average MPG beweeen 5W-20 and 5W-30 in my vehicles. It is likely < 0.1 MPG if at all.

High Temperature High Sheer protection is far more important to me, as motor oil is for protecting my engine.

Interestingly enough I get better gas mileage with 0w-30 QS Euro LX than I did with PP 0w-20.

Both SOPUS products... how was your driving on each?

I would think an xW-20 could suffice, IF it never sheared down. I have always believed this. The single oil I think would be the most likely to achieve this would be the HPL No VII series, since there are... no VIIs, which are, what shear ("in-grade" shear... If that is eliminated, an xW-20 should protect really well, HTHSs up to 2.9. In essence, a Thick 20.) This is why the Ford will probably eventually get HPL No VII 5W-20. Some run a 10W-20. This post isn't about the W or "Winter" number...)

True that you'd probably see more MPG increase with higher inflated tires, though perhaps in a smaller engine, you'd notice economy effects of a "thinner" oil, please note Toyota FFs 0W-16 and there ARE 0W-12 and 0W-8 grades...

I dont like using the thin stuff but am forced to because of mpg concerns and trying to squeeze out the last bit. The 3.7 Liter Duratec calls for 5W20, but I have used 5W30 and 5W40 in the past. So I put SuperTech 5W20 Advanced in it and I notice immediately the engine is a bit peppier and faster. Seems to run better with the 5W20. My observations in the past was the thicker stuff quieted the engine down overall, but there was a bit of performance lag.

It seems like all my decisions nowadays are trying to increase the mpg with gas prices north of $3...lets hope the 5W20 can squeeze a little bit more mpg out of this engine.
I felt the same going from 5W30 to 5W20 in my Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI (non - turbo) ... However , a bit of fuel dilution and sheering made me stay with 5W30 for this engine to better protect rod bearings .

My LTFA just went from 23.3mpg to 26.7 (all majority around town driving) installing a low vm 10W30 synthetic over well used 5W50 synthetic QS. Same brand. The D.I. 4 cyl SUV chugs better at low rpm and pulls right up hills where it wouldn't before without automatically downshifting. Better cylinder sealing with less blowby? Summer gas? Both?
Oops! that's a major typo, text should have read, "over a well used 5W20 synthetic ...

My post was supposed to be incongruous, but instead as it was written, it made sense :)

Back