Switching back to 5W20 (SuperTech) for mpg!

I dont like using the thin stuff but am forced to because of mpg concerns and trying to squeeze out the last bit. The 3.7 Liter Duratec calls for 5W20, but I have used 5W30 and 5W40 in the past. So I put SuperTech 5W20 Advanced in it and I notice immediately the engine is a bit peppier and faster. Seems to run better with the 5W20. My observations in the past was the thicker stuff quieted the engine down overall, but there was a bit of performance lag.

It seems like all my decisions nowadays are trying to increase the mpg with gas prices north of $3...lets hope the 5W20 can squeeze a little bit more mpg out of this engine.

Not sure how cold it gets in NYC during the winter months, but this could be a perfect application for HPL's 10W20.

You get the fuel economy of a 20wt during operating temps, but a better HT/HS and higher base oil viscosity than most 20wt oils.

Not the exact same engine, but a 3L Duratec I used to have ran much better on 20-weights; M1 0W-20 was great in it.
You could feel a difference with 30-weights, def did not feel as peppy or responsive.

I'd be impressed if there was any measurable difference...

OP lists NYC as address, not sure what one could do to get better gas mileage if he indeed drives in the city short of a different car. All of the standard things, drive like there's an egg on the gas pedal, no fast starts or stops, speed limit or less, time lights so you don't have to stop etc would probably be hard to do without causing road rage incidents. Maybe turn car off in stopped traffic?

I own a fleet of cars and each car gets at least 70000 miles per year. Oil is constantly being changed. The turbo Ecoboost version is not easy on oil. The non-turbo 3.7 Duratec is easy on oil. Im not expecting a big change in gas mileage but at this amount of miles and the price of gas even a half or 1 mpg will save thousands of dollars in gas.

I have never used dino oil and would not know where to find it. At Walmart everything on the shelf is mostly full synthetic with a few blends. I use SuperTech Advanced because it tested the best out of all the other oils I have tried.

I have a hard time believing any appreciable differences in MPG or performance gains would be achieved between the two weights of oil.
The move from 5W-30 in the late 90s to 5W-20 by manufacturers was done to improve EPA mpg numbers. FORD as an example. On a nationwide fleet, there would be a difference in fuel used. Navi may have a point here.
How much of a saving? Unsure.

Not sure how cold it gets in NYC during the winter months, but this could be a perfect application for HPL's 10W20.

You get the fuel economy of a 20wt during operating temps, but a better HT/HS and higher base oil viscosity than most 20wt oils.
NYC, I’m sure @SeaJay could verify but you may see single digits or 0 degrees Fahrenheit not unheard of in a cold snap.. lots of parts of NYC are near water as is Long Island. A bridge usually denotes changing boroughs..

Probably from the teens to the freezing mark in winter season, there is snow, there is ice, there could be wind effect making temperatures seem lower than they are.

Seconded on 10W-20 from HPL, I would think 10W could be seen as pushing it in a NYC winter, 5W is usually a go-to for most in this region… (??) follow that up of course with 0W because it gets colder the farther north you go for those cold starts.

Right now doing everything possible to squeeze a little more mpg out of each vehicle. Daily tire pressure checks for example...

Not sure if you're aware, but fuel efficient driving habits could yield significantly lower consumption than even the lowest viscosity oil. Would be fair to claim most are unaware based on the agressive drive style.

While I was at Walmart I saw they now have the 12 quart box or $4 per quart.
20221129_094202.jpg

Back