Swap engine/engine rebuild vs. just fix the oil leak

I would say it depends on what the book time is for pulling the engine, if in fact the engine has to come out. If it's 8 hours book time for just pulling the engine, and then you add the book time for doing the repairs at a $100 an hour shop time, that adds up quick. I'm thinking the engine would have to be in almost perfect condition to pay all that money on labor and not replace it.

Not sure where you are finding a $100 an hour shop rate. Around here it's about $200 even at most independent shops.

Not sure where you are finding a $100 an hour shop rate. Around here it's about $200 even at most independent shops.
Varies greatly by region. Around here, dealers will be over $100 while most indies will be below.

Pull it apart and see how things look. Take bore measurements on a few cylinders with a gauge, inspect the camshafts, etc. then make your call on whether just to slap a head gasket on it or over haul it. I’d fix what you have, if you’re capable.

Regardless I would put a timing set in it while it’s out with that mileage.

Get a compression test done. See how healthy it looks. After that it’s anyones guess how much wear you have on the mains And big ends etc.

I would only use a proper Ford exchange engine that’s got a decent warranty on it if you are going to go for a full engine replacement. This may be the most expensive option but at least with proper maintenance it should get you another 250k miles.

At that point as a business your buying into the vehicle for another 5 years at least to recoup your investment and any potential repairs that come up.

If you do repair the engine that’s in it do both head gaskets. It’s really not worth doing just one.

Oil pressure might give an idea of bearing health, in addition to a compression test. I can’t imagine the rear main seal having much left in it, as well as the front.

jasper remans are very hit and miss. What I’ve heard lately is more like miss and hit; you might go through a couple before finding one that goes past warranty. I would seek a better brand if using a reman.

or, start using a fix-in-a-bottle for now, planning to replace the engine when that no longer helps.

or, simply find a rebuilder who warranties their work, and let them go at it! I kinda like this one.

Ah, I see. Horse of a different color. I didn’t realize that was required on a van.
just about any engine work performed on a van is going to be a painful experience in packaging and having a new appreciation for understanding the engineers ability to pack 10 pounds of crap into a 9 pound bag... pity to anyone who has to work on them.

If you're paying someone to remove it and do the work, and a ford engine is available (it seems to be) i would do that.

Frankly, given a choice id rather have a leaking original than a jasper...

I’d just find a way to deal with the leak until the used van market comes back to reality. Might be waiting a while though. The thing is already rusty and high mileage. Perhaps you could rig something up to stop the oil from dripping on the ground and looking “unprofessional”.

If some outfit is doing all the work, then engine replacement is the thing to do or local auto machine shop. Jasper is a joke and you will find many stories about them in a good internet search. A good option would be to see if there is a good local auto machine shop that does that sort of work, and take the original to them. That may end up the best cost as well, and hopefully the better quality job too. Ford reman? Depends on who does the reman for Ford. Those are probably your best 2 options. I would say stay away from all the national rebuild places like Jasper, Blue print and ATK there are more I can't think of. Those big outfits have pretty much unskilled low payed ones doing the work, they also make huge piles of parts when disassembling, and do things like mismatch bore sizes and all kinds of incorrect procedures.
There are plenty of horror story's about them.
At those miles and how it is used don't just fix the problem, there are plenty of other problems not too far away that will crop up.

Back