Surprised by a Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
So pandabear, you say hondas never brake and batteries always need to be replaced in prius? Last time I checked, tranny in honda was more expensive to replace than battery in prius.

I never said that. However, most Honda's manual transmission are reliable (if you get the CVT insight that's a different story, as manual has the lean burn engine that CVT does not have).

Tranny in a small civic sized car should be very cheap when it dies due to age, and manual on small Honda doesn't have design issue that V6 Honda auto has. I highly doubt a rebuild honda civic manual tranny should be $2-3k in parts (san installation as both battery and swapping tranny need installation labor).

Or you can swap in a junk yard totaled manual tranny and call it a day, if you are unlucky that the manual civic tranny die.

The rest of the cars compare similarly between Prius and Insight / Civic.

Nothing stops one from buying used $500 battery or rebuilding it for $50-100 rather than paying the retail $2000 for a new one. Battery failures are incredibly rare in prius. Unfortunately, not something you can say about honda.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Nothing stops one from buying used $500 battery or rebuilding it for $50-100 rather than paying the retail $2000 for a new one. Battery failures are incredibly rare in prius. Unfortunately, not something you can say about honda.

I highly doubt you can just buy a $500 battery and rebuild it yourself for $100, reliably.

This is like don't worry about transmission problem in old cars, you can always go to a junk yard and buy a used one and drop it in during your lunch break for $500.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
The bad: Many Prius drivers.
I have to retrain many Prius drivers after installing on their vehicles.

They were completely unaware of the "READY" light in their instrument cluster. I am constantly shocked about how unaware they are. They will pass a breath test, grab the retardo-stub and try to drive.
"You will have to depress the brake and press the start button."
They do this and respond, "Nothing happened."
"The READY light is on. You can now operate your vehicle."
"Why did you put that light on? I don't want that on my car."
33.gif
"It's been there all along. From the factory."
"No, it wasn't. I don't want that on."

and couldn't Toyota have come up with something better than weird bluish green VFD from a 1981 Imperial?

Like, they know exactly what that light means, and they decidedly don't want it on....
lol.gif
I LOVE PEOPLE!!!!!!! THEY ARE THE ULTIMATE
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back