Supertech MP6607 vs ST6607, interchangeable?

The computer at every walmart I've ever been to (a lot) says the ST6607 is the correct filter and their book says so too. I have noticed that it recommends the 7317 in the non supertech brands so I have used that size when they didn't have the st6607 on the shelf. Googling 6607 and civic shows threads where other people have used it. I imagine thousands/millions of the st6607 filters have been installed on civics at this point. If this were an issue I think there would have been a lawsuit by now. I probably won't buy the 6607 size again because the ST never seems to be in stock and the MP is a bit expensive for a supertech filter. I think I'll just order some filters from rockauto from now on.

It's kind of odd that they spec the 6607 when there is a supertech 7317 also. I have seen the smaller filters cause VTEC issues occasionally (on the 2.4 engines) but 99.9% of the time the shorter filter is fine

It's kind of odd that they spec the 6607 when there is a supertech 7317 also. I have seen the smaller filters cause VTEC issues occasionally (on the 2.4 engines) but 99.9% of the time the shorter filter is fine

I think they stopped making the st7317 years ago and recommend the st6607 in its place. I've seen this same conversation take place on several forums now through googling. The mp7317 has been available for maybe the last year but the program doesn't recommend it yet. It's all very mysterious. I haven't found anyone saying it's unsafe to use the 6607. When I cross reference the honda 15400-plm-a01 and a02 both show compatibility with 6607 size filters.

I have used the 6607 once or twice on my Honda and it worked well (5k OCI). However, I generally stick to the 7317 size just because the extra .75 inches seems like a good idea.

6607 and 7317 will both work perfect on a Honda without issues. One is just a shorter filter, and used on many engines with space limitations. My sister's 2003 Acura 3.2TL specs the 6607 size because of where the filter sits by the control arm, but the 7317 fits fine so I just use that instead.

The computer at every walmart I've ever been to (a lot) says the ST6607 is the correct filter and their book says so too. ....
As far as being the 'spec' filter for the topic 2012 Civic, that information is inaccurate. Spec filter for Honda is the 7317 application and equivalents. For ST/(MP) OFs though, they haven't always kept the 7317 applications, like many jobber filters they consolidated and downsized to the shorty 6607. It hasn't been too long the WM brought back the 7317 application in the Champ made ST/(MP) series OFs.

Personally, if available I always use the longer and in this case spec 7317 size OF. Same specs, but more media area.

Last edited:
Back