FL-2121-B12 (FL-500S alternative)

So a few weeks ago I went into a local Ford dealership to burn up my remaining Ford Pass points and decided to get a few oil filters. The parts guy came out with 3 FL-2121-B12 filters instead of the usual FL-500S I’ve always used and told me the FL-500S had been discontinued and this was the new part number/filter. I called around and none of the other dealerships in my area said the same thing, they actually said that had tons in stock. After doing some digging around on the mustang forum I came across this thread https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/is-the-parts-guy-at-my-local-ford-dealer-an-idiot.183798/

I also came across this chart on that thread that shows it as being compatible https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/oep-pdf.725003/

Just curious if anyone else has ran this filter yet? I know there’s multiple Ford vehicles that spec the FL-500S so this is more encompassing than just the Mustang forum. I have no issues at all running it and plan to use the three I picked up for my next few OCI’s. However, the FL-500S is easily findable at all auto parts stores and even back on the shelves at Walmart after a year or so hiatus (surprise). Just a weird encounter is all.

Attachments

• 8F7728A3-45C5-4B76-AA37-A21521F6E858.jpeg
    8F7728A3-45C5-4B76-AA37-A21521F6E858.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 416
  • 22C03D9A-ADE1-4982-980A-DB6E46895980.jpeg
    22C03D9A-ADE1-4982-980A-DB6E46895980.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 418
So a few weeks ago I went into a local Ford dealership to burn up my remaining Ford Pass points and decided to get a few oil filters. The parts guy came out with 3 FL-2121-B12 filters instead of the usual FL-500S I’ve always used and told me the FL-500S had been discontinued and this was the new part number/filter. I called around and none of the other dealerships in my area said the same thing, they actually said that had tons in stock. After doing some digging around on the mustang forum I came across this thread https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/is-the-parts-guy-at-my-local-ford-dealer-an-idiot.183798/

I also came across this chart on that thread that shows it as being compatible https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/oep-pdf.725003/
The PDF does show it can replace the FL-500S ... but that FL-2121-B12 looks to be an eCore with fiber end caps and no base plate bypass valve. A far cry from the FL-500S. Looks like Motorcraft is trying to save and make more profits on filters. Hopefully the FL-500S doesn't completely disappear.

Interesting the sell sheet in the linked thread is overrun with marketing double speak, but im intrigued. An FL1a with s silicone ADBV.

Ecore FL400S

Worth a try...

To me it looks like the exact same filter as the AC Delco PF63 and the Super Tech MP10575. I’m sure there’s more out there.
The ACD PF63 doesn't have a silicone adbv as Motorcaft shows in spec sheet. As for the Super Tech MP10575, that has/uses metal endcaps, as opposed to MC with 'seems to be' polyester type older ecores use. It does have a silicone adbv like shown on MC . But, all are ecore type tube.

I had previously seen where the FL400S and FL1A was going to dome bypass, but had not seen change to construction type (ecore) shown in second link posted in OP. 'IF' a permanent change, at least for the 400S, 500S and 910S, in terms of construction, 'I' don't see it as improvement over current design.

They look like Ecore filters. I think I will stick with the FL500 in my 14 Mustang GT and the fiance's 2017 F150 with the 5.0L for as long as I can get them.

The old style Motorcrafts have louvers now, so just make sure they appear open if you go that route. I saw an FL-400s in Wally's last week, the louvers were technically open, but not enough that I would buy it or run it. 😬

The old style Motorcrafts have louvers now, so just make sure they appear open if you go that route. I saw an FL-400s in Wally's last week, the louvers were technically open, but not enough that I would buy it or run it. 😬
The last FL500S I used (made 2 years ago) had louvers. They also reduced the total media area back around then.

I have a FL 500S sitting on my shelf in my garage, for about a year now, I will probably use that, this summer..

Last edited:
@bdcardinal can probably give some insight into it. Seems Ford has been updating filter part numbers lately. They changed the filter for the 10R80 as well from FT215 to FT202. Also, the FL910S is being replaced by the FL2123 apparently.

Who knows, probably someone at Ford trying to justify their job and look like they're doing something important.

@bdcardinal can probably give some insight into it. Seems Ford has been updating filter part numbers lately. They changed the filter for the 10R80 as well from FT215 to FT202. Also, the FL910S is being replaced by the FL2123 apparently.

Who knows, probably someone at Ford trying to justify their job and look like they're doing something important.
The oil filter alternate numbers are filters supplied by Champ labs. Mann-Hummel/Purolator was not able to provide an adequate supply of filters during the C times so Ford has another source. The different numbers are to keep people, here and other place, from saying "look at this junk FL-500S" kinda thing.

The oil filter alternate numbers are filters supplied by Champ labs. Mann-Hummel/Purolator was not able to provide an adequate supply of filters during the C times so Ford has another source. The different numbers are to keep people, here and other place, from saying "look at this junk FL-500S" kinda thing.
Makes sense. That way if they get a run of bad parts they can recall just that part and not everything.

Also to expand, we only carried the alternate for the FL-910S because the -B12 910S was on backorder. We use the -B12s for filters in the shop because its a bit cheaper and less packaging so its more "environmentally friendly" for those who like hearing that.
So both are going to continue to be available, or it was a temporary band-aid? Do you think one style is better?

Perhaps a price advantage? I used to get FL-400s for 3.99 and the other day it was $8.44. 😮

Back