supertech full synthetic 5qt for $11.88, what's the catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Fourteen year bump. Impressive.

It was his sixth post in nine years of membership. Clearly, he thinks through his responses very carefully.
wink.gif
The best part was a fairly dated VOA for a very dated thread. It was a very accurate and pertinent response to the thread, though!

Walmart and the Super Tech Brand work on a lower mark up / higher volume.
The other stuff is simply high markup no matter if it was a decade ago or today ... :eek:)

(yeah, I just realized how old the post was)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bchannell
Dexos # here comes up manufactured by WPP for full syn.

And Warren is actually generous with info about their oils, a link to a 5W30 synth PDS with Noack loss, CCS viscosity, and other juicy tidbits is included below.
I think there's a good chance this would reflect the results for ST 5W30 synth given that the oils have the same d1G2 license # (also shared with amazonbasics 5W30 synth), but I'm sure not offering a guarantee on that.

https://mag1.com/products/passenger...il/mag-1-full-synthetic-5w-30-motor-oil/

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

And Warren is actually generous with info about their oils, a link to a 5W30 synth PDS with Noack loss, CCS viscosity, and other juicy tidbits is included below.
I think there's a good chance this would reflect the results for ST 5W30 synth given that the oils have the same d1G2 license # (also shared with amazonbasics 5W30 synth), but I'm sure not offering a guarantee on that.

.... but no mention it reduces deposit formation. None of the Warren-label oils mention it.
Why?..... because it doesn't. Otherwise it would list it on the jug, as Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil-1 and Pennzoil do (5w30)

You get what you pay for and if you're driving TGDIs/GDIs, you may want to rethink your purchase of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

.... but no mention it reduces deposit formation. None of the Warren-label oils mention it.
Why?..... because it doesn't. Otherwise it would list it on the jug, as Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil-1 and Pennzoil do (5w30)
You get what you pay for and if you're driving TGDIs/GDIs, you may want to rethink your purchase of it.

I found this nice summary of what's "new" in d1G2, which all the oils discussed meet...
"GM has developed four new engine tests for this updated specification:
New General Motors Oxidation & Deposit Test (GMOD) verifies the improved oxidation and deposit control characteristics.
New Stochastic Pre-ignition Test verifies the added protection for turbocharged engines and pre-ignition concerns.
New Turbocharger Deposit Test verifies the added protection for turbocharged engines and minimizes deposit formation, which ensures optimal performance during engine life.
New Aeration Test (bubble control) ensures the air bubbles in the oil dissipate quickly to improve oil performance."
I'll take the spec over the advertising.

I should probably add here that I haven't purchased any ST oils because I can get "brand name" cheaper with rebates....

You sure about that? ....

SuperTech 5W30 Motor Oil, 5-Quart:

SuperTech motor oil is designed for extremely high temperatures
Protects against harmful deposits and acids, which helps in a clean-running and lasting engine
Fully compatible with conventional oils
High-performance formulation for gasoline engines
Enhanced wear protection and resistance to thermal breakdown
SuperTech engine oil meets or exceeds U.S. and foreign passenger car and light truck requirements for all gasoline engines

[Linked Image]

I found this nice summary of what's "new" in d1G2, which all the oils discussed meet...
"GM has developed four new engine tests for this updated specification:
New General Motors Oxidation & Deposit Test (GMOD) verifies the improved oxidation and deposit control characteristics.
New Stochastic Pre-ignition Test verifies the added protection for turbocharged engines and pre-ignition concerns.
New Turbocharger Deposit Test verifies the added protection for turbocharged engines and minimizes deposit formation, which ensures optimal performance during engine life.
New Aeration Test (bubble control) ensures the air bubbles in the oil dissipate quickly to improve oil performance."
I'll take the spec over the advertising.

I should probably add here that I haven't purchased any ST oils because I can get "brand name" cheaper with rebates....

Yep. It is meeting the same specs and certs as the big boys so why wouldn't it perform just as well?

Because it doesn't woo you with fancy bottles or marketing, obviously. Gotta have the marketing to actually work. Ask SOPUS.

... .... but no mention it reduces deposit formation. None of the Warren-label oils mention it.
Why?..... because it doesn't. Otherwise it would list it on the jug, as Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil-1 and Pennzoil do (5w30). ...
That's wildly illogical. What makes you imagine an oil that "reduces deposit formation" well enough to meet standards is required to brag about that?

Originally Posted by CR94
... .... but no mention it reduces deposit formation. None of the Warren-label oils mention it.
Why?..... because it doesn't. Otherwise it would list it on the jug, as Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil-1 and Pennzoil do (5w30). ...
That's wildly illogical. What makes you imagine an oil that "reduces deposit formation" well enough to meet standards is required to brag about that?

Huh?
Ask Warren why they omit such language from their jugs. Ask purchasers why they buy products that omit such language.

I'm done with this. Buy whatever subpar oil you want. Hope it works great for you.

Huh?
Ask Warren why they omit such language from their jugs. Ask purchasers why they buy products that omit such language.

I'm done with this. Buy whatever subpar oil you want. Hope it works great for you.

I just showed you 2 examples of warren products that show the silly little words that you look for. BTW, I have been using this "subpar" oil for 10's of thousands of miles with ZERO issues...

In fact, I'm using oil currently that I got even cheaper than ST conventional...MileSyn....has worked great for about 40qts used....I guess this one is subpar as well.

5 gallon buckets are priced at about $50. That's a great price. But what do you do with 5 gallons of oil? Unless you have 3 or 4 cars, which you change oil in all of them at the same time. Then the math usually doesn't work out for you, as you will always have a few quarts leftover, in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. I thought about it. In my case, I would have about half of that bucket leftover. I don't want to store a half bucket of opened oil, for a year. Those 5 gallon bucket lids are not easy to open. Then there's the transfer of the oil from the bucket. Do you get your girlfriend's Pyrex measuring cup, and dip it into the oil? You are not picking up a 5 gallon bucket, and eyeing it as you pour into the funnel.

As you can see 14 years hasn't cleared anything up for some. The simple fact that all this time has passed with many, many users over many many hundreds of thousands of miles, and no reports of motors puking should tell us something. If it's so terrible, then where's the evidence? Have you looked at the UOA's here, they're pretty darn good and certainly in line with the best oils out there. ST meets Dex Gen2, so should be decent, at least. I've used it quite a bit and never a problem that I am currently aware of, as it's still in my Altima, and PT Cruiser. So, unless they blow tomorrow, they've been doing fine. I'll have it in the Tacoma as soon as it's due for a change, as it's already on deck in the garage when needed. I don't feel the least bit under lubed using it, and I haven't seen a single bit of evidence online that anyone can attribute a failure to it.

I'm currently running supertech full synthetic high mileage in my 2v 4.6. It's doing just fine.

We are looking at a new subaru with a turbo - considering running supertech in that as well, but my wife is an Formula 1 fan - (Ricciardo [Team Renault]) so she will probably want me to put in Castrol Edge. Oh well.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Fifty150
5 gallon buckets are priced at about $50. That's a great price. But what do you do with 5 gallons of oil? Unless you have 3 or 4 cars, which you change oil in all of them at the same time. Then the math usually doesn't work out for you, as you will always have a few quarts leftover, in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. I thought about it. In my case, I would have about half of that bucket leftover. I don't want to store a half bucket of opened oil, for a year. Those 5 gallon bucket lids are not easy to open. Then there's the transfer of the oil from the bucket. Do you get your girlfriend's Pyrex measuring cup, and dip it into the oil? You are not picking up a 5 gallon bucket, and eyeing it as you pour into the funnel.

Are you doing all 3-4 cars' oil changes at the same time? They'd be staggered, no?
If you do get a 5 gal oil bucket and get a half bucket left overs - just pour that into 2 or 3 one-gal jugs and let empty bucket go. All you need is 2-3 empty 1-gallon jugs to cover you.
No math involved ... LOL

edit: better off - save 5 one-gallon jugs, pour oil from the bucket into them, use jugs to do oil changes, dump old oil into the bucket and take it to recycling when full.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BLND1
I'm currently running supertech full synthetic high mileage in my 2v 4.6. It's doing just fine.

We are looking at a new subaru with a turbo - considering running supertech in that as well, but my wife is an Formula 1 fan - (Ricciardo [Team Renault]) so she will probably want me to put in Castrol Edge. Oh well.
lol.gif

I'm not sure I would feel all that confident running Supertech in anything with a turbo, or anything DI for that matter. Under those circumstances I think I'd want something a little better with a low Noack, low sulfated ash and perhaps a higher HTHS too.

I'm sure Supertech works just fine for the average gently driven car, but at the same time I don't think I'd trust it to keep the engine perfectly clean for hundreds of thousands of miles like the higher quality synthetics would. Plus with Supertech you never know what you're going to get, they have a few different suppliers depending on what region of the country you're in, plus they could change suppliers at a moment's notice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back