Super Tech Box-O-Oil Experience

I fill empty 5 qt containers with the box/bags. I got them for very cheap so I don't mind the extra hassle.

Get a cheap pitcher from the same store.
A pitcher would present the same problem a full 5-quart bottle does. Unless you have a lot of open space around and below the fill opening, one would have to hit a small target (the opening) from high altitude, which could be messy, unless a tall funnel is used. I'd rather not have to clean and store a large oily funnel.

A pitcher would present the same problem a full 5-quart bottle does. Unless you have a lot of open space around and below the fill opening, one would have to hit a small target (the opening) from high altitude, which could be messy, unless a tall funnel is used. I'd rather not have to clean and store a large oily funnel.
Is there a facepalm emoji?

Sounds like a large funnel would make your life easier no matter what the oil is poured from. So buy the funnel, and just give it a quick rinse with gasoline. Or, leave them hang over your drain pan like I do.

"I'd rather not clean a funnel." Then why are you doing your own oil changes to begin with?

My funnel drains into the jug filled with used oil then gets wiped with paper towels and then stored in a large ziplock bag. No mess, no fuss.

I am not buying those huge 12 quarts in a paper carton but if I would use the Mighty Vac to draw 5 quarts directly from the carton then dispense it into the crankcase. That is a mess free solution for bulk oil. This stuff about refilling quart bottles or 5 quart jugs from the carton seems like busywork.

I hate those boxes makes it too awkward to pour I tried the Havoline box once and spilt half because it was too heavy I get individual quarts or a jug doesn’t bother me any.

Purchased a 3 gallon/12 quart box of synthetic 5W-30 some months ago for $20 during a rollback/clearance. Last weekend I changed the oil in 3 vehicles that use 5W-30. Bottom line is dealing with that box, for me, was a PITA coming and going and certainly extended the time it takes for an oil change. Primarily decanting and measuring the oil into an already empty 5 quart oil jug (thank goodness for the clear view quart markings on the side) and then the tortured process for getting the used oil back into the bag. Buying a SN Plus/dexos1 GEN2 oil for $1.67/qt. is nice but I'm a jug man for now on.

View attachment 29734
i Like the 6 at Havoline box. But if I was to go this direction I would commit and get a measuring pitcher like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Verified-Exc.../dp/B06XWMDPTV/ref=psdc_289786_t2_B000I1YLGKm. And keep the box in a wall cabinet.

i keep plenty of recycle containers.

Back