Made the Move to Super Tech!

I posted prior I lost 2 quarts of oil due to a bad filter gasket in my F150. Before I knew what it was for sure I posted here and I wasn't sure how much more oil I would loose. I ended up looking for a few cheap quarts of ST at Wallyworld as I wasn't going to potentially waste Mobil 1 EP oil. ST quarts were not available nor was a 5-30 5qt jug but I finally saw a ST full synthetic 5-30 box of 12 quarts. Price came to $2.50 a quart. Couldn't say no!

I realized I have been doing 7k OCI on this truck with Mobil 1 EP (I do love that oil) but I can do 5-6k with ST 5-30 and save a good deal of coin and be just as protected. So at $2.50 a quart I made the move. Had a 1k round trip to Acadia National Park and upon return I made the switch. Completed an oil change with ST 5-30! I'll do a 5k-6k run with 2 runs on the Fram Ultra filter and see what the UOA says.

Based on the prices and results here you made a good move. What about getting the Kirkland oil from Costco? Is that an option for you? I see guys getting two jugs for $22 before taxes.

Based on the prices and results here you made a good move. What about getting the Kirkland oil from Costco? Is that an option for you? I see guys getting two jugs for $22 before taxes.

Slow the roll!!! I can only do so much so quick! I mean BITOG got me to 10k OCI on my Subaru. That was an impossible feat.

Reactions: JC1
Your engine will be fine on 5-6k intervals of any synthetic oil. You made a good move from a financial point of view. Go buy a case of beer with your savings and call it a win.

I usually frankenbrew 5-30 and 0-20 as the seasons change... thats just me....
and my 5-30 is getting a little low in my oil stash...
Since PP is not offering rebate at the moment, Kirkland oil is very appealing.... it poised to take over my oil shelf...

Please tell me thats an Oil Torturing 3.5EB or at least a 2.7EB and not a "I've barely broken the oil in at 10,000 mi and I hold 8 quarts" 5.0 Coyote? If it's a 15 Coyote it's pretty much good to 10,000 mi with any 5W-20 (or 5W-30 if you feel better) SN GF-5 Oil you put in it. I don't even want to guess how long the EP could go but it would involve multiple resets of the IOLM most likely. A phaser may eventually die and worse case that may negatively effect the chain but it won't be the oils fault if you follow the factory IOLM.

I have a 12 quart box of Supertech 5w30 that I got for $17.99 a while back that's coming up in the rotation. Glad to hear it's a good oil.

Please tell me thats an Oil Torturing 3.5EB or at least a 2.7EB and not a "I've barely broken the oil in at 10,000 mi and I hold 8 quarts" 5.0 Coyote? If it's a 15 Coyote it's pretty much good to 10,000 mi with any 5W-20 (or 5W-30 if you feel better) SN GF-5 Oil you put in it. I don't even want to guess how long the EP could go but it would involve multiple resets of the IOLM most likely. A phaser may eventually die and worse case that may negatively effect the chain but it won't be the oils fault if you follow the factory IOLM.

2015 5.0 Coyote it is! Hits 6 years old next week. Very happy with it. It's the not the DD. Serves as the family tripper! Hence the move away from EP to ST and a 2 OCI Ultra filter change. Progress is "slow" with some of us :unsure: :unsure:

You know you could have bought 2 x 5 qt Jugs of EP for $48.74 at WalMart and gotten $24 in rebates from ExxonMobil if you haven't already sent some in this year and it would have been cheaper?

Let's try this for a babystep. Reset the IOLM (if you didn't when you changed it) and it will go off in 10,000 mi or 12 months unless subjected to a LOT of short trips and/or heavy towing (Still highly unlikely to be less than 12 months with your mileage). If your past history is any indication in 12 months you will have roughly 4,000 mi and 2 weeks before a year you will get the change oil soon message and then at 1 year you will get the change oil now message (Ford says change within two weeks or 500 mi at this point). 4,000 mi shouldn't be a huge jump for a guy that likely changed at 3,000 mi with a 6 quart sump. It's the same amount of use on each quart. 500 mi per quart.

Might want to check the math. I average 8,300 a year not 4k. I did state I was doing about 7k with the EP not sure where the 3k in your reply came from. I'm comfortable with ST and a 5-6k OCI. While I do reset the OLM I do no find the algorithms something that I trust in. Too time based for me; I didn't know oil expired in 12 months. Guess it does to Ford. Maybe you are confusing your 3.5 Eco with my 5.0. The 5.0 sump is about 8 quarts with the filter I'm using. Less with no filter change.

While you are probably correct in that I could go 10k with the manner I drive this vehicle, it is not what I am comfortable doing.

Might want to check the math. I average 8,300 a year not 4k. I did state I was doing about 7k with the EP not sure where the 3k in your reply came from. I'm comfortable with ST and a 5-6k OCI. While I do reset the OLM I do no find the algorithms something that I trust in. Too time based for me; I didn't know oil expired in 12 months. Guess it does to Ford. Maybe you are confusing your 3.5 Eco with my 5.0. The 5.0 sump is about 8 quarts with the filter I'm using. Less with no filter change.

While you are probably correct in that I could go 10k with the manner I drive this vehicle, it is not what I am comfortable doing.

Sorry got your post crossed with a guy that goes 2,000 mi every 6 months and is doing 6 month changes.
I think I need to reboot this operating system.

Sorry got your post crossed with a guy that goes 2,000 mi every 6 months and is doing 6 month changes.
I think I need to reboot this operating system.

I make those kinda mistakes often :rolleyes:

Do you trust the OLM on your 18 3.5? Is that similar to the 10k or 12 month trend I have in the 15 5.0? OLM's fascinate me. I'm not an engineer but I've always wondered (I assume cost issue) why the industry as whole hasn't gotten together and developed an OLM "system" if you would that could in theory (if accurate enough) take into account a cornucopia of variables. End result an oil savings that I'd imagine to be above and beyond the CAFE savings of say DI as a whole. Just an uneducated thought in my noodle.

I usually frankenbrew 5-30 and 0-20 as the seasons change... thats just me....
and my 5-30 is getting a little low in my oil stash...
Since PP is not offering rebate at the moment, Kirkland oil is very appealing.... it poised to take over my oil shelf...

LOL, I'm thinking same thing, when my PP stock is about depleted and if there is no Pennzoil rebates at the time, I'm going with Kirkland.
Just finished doing oil change on Sportage, PP 5L bottle after taxes and rebate cost me about C$15, I keep track of dates, service and cost... along with schedule for future service. Gonna go with ST Full Syn 75w-90 in diff and TX case next weekend.

Back