Super Tech Box-O-Oil Experience

Purchased a 3 gallon/12 quart box of synthetic 5W-30 some months ago for $20 during a rollback/clearance. Last weekend I changed the oil in 3 vehicles that use 5W-30. Bottom line is dealing with that box, for me, was a PITA coming and going and certainly extended the time it takes for an oil change. Primarily decanting and measuring the oil into an already empty 5 quart oil jug (thank goodness for the clear view quart markings on the side) and then the tortured process for getting the used oil back into the bag. Buying a SN Plus/dexos1 GEN2 oil for $1.67/qt. is nice but I'm a jug man for now on.

st5w30.jpg

I've used the Havoline Smart Change 6 quart boxes a couple of times. One was for a 4.5 quart oil change and the other was a 6 quart oil change. Zero problems in either case. For the 4.5 quart change, I poured a couple quarts of oil into a 5 quart jug, then filled one quart container full and another to the half mark, and put them on the shelf for next time (or for the lawn mowers). Then I poured what was left over in the 5 quart jug into the engine and then I drained the 6 quart box into the engine. I did use a funnel for all fluid transfers.

Used oil went into empty 5 quart jugs I use for used oil.

Is there a valve of some sort to control the pour out? Never thought about putting used oil back in... makes sense if you don’t have other jugs or milk bottles.

It's more work than needs to be.

Pass.

In theory you’re trading time and hassle for money.

Don't worry if it saves the oil company $ .05 it will soon be the normal packaging. One company starts something new soon every company dealing with the same product follows suit. Personally I still use 1qt. bottles over 99% of the time.

Don't worry if it saves the oil company $ .05 it will soon be the normal packaging. One company starts something new soon every company dealing with the same product follows suit. Personally I still use 1qt. bottles over 99% of the time.

Walmart pushes its suppliers to aggressively cut costs. So I get it there. I’m not sure the rest of the majors are as easily swayed, if inconveniencing the public will affect market share.

That said, if individual quarts went away, I wouldn’t miss them terribly. While convenient for a top up, I suspect the gallon and 5qt jugs, let alone the 2.5G jugs you can sometimes get, are less costly in terms of packaging, and more convenient in terms of returns...

I’ve used boxed oil a couple of times and always found it to be more trouble than it’s worth.

5 quart jug, 5 gallon bucket, or 55 gallon drum are the only containers that make sense to me.

Thanks for the heads up … my new DD is the first 5 quart engine I have had in years … so easy …
(the 8 quart motor is another story)

I've used the Havoline box oil a couple of times on vehicles needing ~5 qts. The box has a cutout to let you see when you get down towards the bottom. A little guestimate gets you close enough. Go light and add as needed to get to the full mark on the dipstick.

With a three gallon box it would be a little more challenging.

The only way I see it working well is if you set the box on a rack, and pour it into a measured oil pouring device, then pour that into the car.

Waste oil would need to go into a cat litter bucket, there would be no way I would get it back in that bag.

I use two 2.5 gallon waste oil containers for my used motor/gear/trans fluid. Easy to empty at autozone or the county haz waste and saves me a few trips.

seems like a clean, clear graduated pitcher would solve the clean oil transfer quite easily ( or An old well marked 5 quart jug).

I think it is the size of the box. The Havoline boxes are right sized so they can be used for one oci and then reused for the waste oil.

A 3 gallon box might be economical up front but the consumer has to think all the way through before choosing that route.

Back