Super Tech Box-O-Oil Experience

Why not save up 12 well drained one quart bottles and refill them from the three gallon box? Mark the bottles and store them for future use.

I think it is the size of the box. The Havoline boxes are right sized so they can be used for one oci and then reused for the waste oil.

A 3 gallon box might be economical up front but the consumer has to think all the way through before choosing that route.

The bigger boxes Definitely need to have a pit-pack style dispenser to make them work well. I think the mobil1 boxes at Walmart do?

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'd still try a ST box-o-oil if the price is right. I mean, $20 for 12qts is a steal today! I buy the ST synthetic 5w30 when I can get the 5qt jugs for ~$13-15 and have been mail-ordering them 3 jugs at a time. Given I service 4-5 family vehicles at this point I've always got 5qt oil jugs around so I'd not have a need to use the box/bag for used oil.

We kind of went through this already in HDEO. A 1 gallon jug works well. A 2.5 gal jug is just heavy enough to be cumbersome.

The 5 qt jugs and 6 qt boxes work okay. The 12 qt box is to much.

The market has decided the potential cost savings of the 2.5 gal is offset by a lack of volume from low consumer acceptance. I suspect the 12 quart box will suffer the same fate.

Why would you put the used oil back in the bag?

I had a 24 qt eco-box once, and it was not a big deal to use. Just measure out what you need (I used a clean old 5 qt oil jug) and pour it in.

Biggest issue I had with it was getting the last little bit of oil out of the bag, and my box was torn up some in shipping so had to tape it back together.

The boxes store better than jugs or qts, but waste space once you start using them (they take the same space full as with 1 qt).

I use two 2.5 gallon waste oil containers for my used motor/gear/trans fluid. Easy to empty at autozone or the county haz waste and saves me a few trips.

seems like a clean, clear graduated pitcher would solve the clean oil transfer quite easily ( or An old well marked 5 quart jug).

Yep, I have 3 empty 5 gallon buckets with lid with pour spout I use for my used oil. Easy peasy

Walmart pushes its suppliers to aggressively cut costs. So I get it there. I’m not sure the rest of the majors are as easily swayed, if inconveniencing the public will affect market share.

That said, if individual quarts went away, I wouldn’t miss them terribly. While convenient for a top up, I suspect the gallon and 5qt jugs, let alone the 2.5G jugs you can sometimes get, are less costly in terms of packaging, and more convenient in terms of returns...
After I injured my back in a construction accident I worked at Walmart for about a year before ending up having to go on disability. If there's a penny to be saved Walmart is going to do it. Some nights when my scheduled hours ended if there was something that needed to be done I would stay over to get it done instead of leaving it for the next morning shift but, come the end of the pay period they'd tell me to take off early rather than go over the hours they had me scheduled. I was only part time so it was only straight time not time and a half. I've had to take off early as little as 15 minutes. This was before Walmart restructured and increased their pay scale. I was making a whopping $8/hr so 15 minutes was going to cost them $2. When I was working construction and got injured in Jan. 2000 my overtime rate was $27/hr and working overtime wasn't a bit uncommon. Actually I'd often turn down overtime when it wasn't mandatory.

Some companies have already gone to boxes so it must not be hurting the market too bad. If they all go to boxes it's either buy it that way or do without. I used to smoke cigarettes. When I started smoking, cigarettes were about $ .35-.40 a pack if I recall correctly. I quit smoking in 1997 but, now they're about $6 and up per pack depending on what part of the country you're in. If I hadn't quit I'd either have to pay the price or do without. The price of cigarettes going up 15-20 fold in the past 40-45 years sure hasn't hurt their market.

As I said before I usually use single quart bottles. All my cars except the '16 Versa use 4 quarts and the Versa uses 3.2 quarts. The oil change in the Versa would be easier if it took 4 qts. I could open the last quart put it in the fill hole walk away, and start picking up my tools. Instead I have to pour a little check to see how much I've poured and continue to do this until I get it right or over fill. Quarts won't be extinct around my my house for years to come since I figure I've probably got 150-200 individuals. Most of them were bought years ago when they used to run sales on 12 quart cases before they started using the 4,5, and 6 quart containers much. I do have several 5 quart jugs that I've bought at really good prices. They would probably account for another 100 or so quarts. With me being 60 years old now, being disabled and driving about 20K miles a year not 30-40K like I used to I don't go through near as much oil. I'm sure there will be oil for my son to use when I'm laying in the cemetery rotting.

I have about 12 qt. oil drain pan with the removable plugs in the top so when I finish changing oil I just put the plugs back in and when the container gets full I take container and all to the auto parts store, dump it and bring it back home for use next time. No transferring the used oil to other containers.

Last edited:
I honestly don't see the big deal. Pour the amount you need into a transfer container and use it.
How are these boxes "better" than 1-quart or 5-quart containers ? You have to take this boxed oil, pour it into a 1-quart, 1-gallon, 5-quart bottle to measure, you're adding an extra step. There's (1) benefit to these to consumers: more eco-friendly. There's (2) benefits to the producer: 1) more eco-friendly and 2) cheaper.
What's annoying is opening 6-9 individual freaking quarts.
Who does that ? If I need 6-quarts or 9-quarts, I'm buying 2 x 5-quart bottles. Unlike the boxed oil, the 5-quart bottles have measurement lines on them to pour what is needed.

I honestly don't see the big deal. Pour the amount you need into a transfer container and use it.

What's annoying is opening 6-9 individual freaking quarts.

I’m not a fan of a transfer container, because it’s another thing to have to clean out. Maybe some have lids, or maybe one can use an old 4 or 5qt jug to dispense. But if you are AR, the mixing of different oil residues may make someone go crazy :)

How are these boxes "better" than 1-quart or 5-quart containers ? You have to take this boxed oil, pour it into a 1-quart, 1-gallon, 5-quart bottle to measure, you're adding an extra step. There's (1) benefit to these to consumers: more eco-friendly. There's (2) benefits to the producer: 1) more eco-friendly and 2) cheaper.

Who does that ? If I need 6-quarts or 9-quarts, I'm buying 2 x 5-quart bottles. Unlike the boxed oil, the 5-quart bottles have measurement lines on them to pour what is needed.
Re: single quarts:

For my Touareg I don't have a choice. ESP is available in single quarts only. The only 504/507 oil available in larger than single quart bottles is Valvoline XL-III. It's available in a 3 pack of 5 quart jugs or (you guessed it) a 20 quart box.

Re: how are they better:

I buy the 12qt box of M1 FS 0W-40 for my Atlas. The 3.6 takes 6 quarts. That's two even changes for $50. Buying two jugs and two singles or twelve singles is more expensive.

It takes less time (for me) to use the box than six single quarts. The box also create less waste than other buying options.

I’m not a fan of a transfer container, because it’s another thing to have to clean out. Maybe some have lids, or maybe one can use an old 4 or 5qt jug to dispense. But if you are AR, the mixing of different oil residues may make someone go crazy :)
I just use a Rubbermaid pitcher. It was $5 and only has one purpose. I turn it over when it's not being used.

Walmart pushes its suppliers to aggressively cut costs. So I get it there. I’m not sure the rest of the majors are as easily swayed, if inconveniencing the public will affect market share.

That said, if individual quarts went away, I wouldn’t miss them terribly. While convenient for a top up, I suspect the gallon and 5qt jugs, let alone the 2.5G jugs you can sometimes get, are less costly in terms of packaging, and more convenient in terms of returns...
Just in terms of a 5 quart you‘ve done 5 times the work of the bottling equipment with 1/5 of the wear. More cycles= more wear. I’d love to see our bagging equipment filling 2000lb bulk bags all day instead of running 3lb bags.

Your results may vary, as they say.
If I had a 1988 911 Carrera, a 3 gallon box would be a good start. My lone experience was working on 3 vehicles with oil capacities of 5.5. 5.7 and 6 quarts. I started with a 5 qt. jug poured in so I could put the additional quart(s) or so from the box the rest of the way home. Folks who service a single vehicle with a 6 quart sump may have a better story to tell.

The Chevron BIB smart change boxes are nice. Walmart is only wanting to push this to get their retail and tire centers on a common supply chain.

Big boxes of house brand oil? With the rebates Mobil 1 jugs are just as cheap or cheaper. We don’t need No stinking boxes of oil.

Big boxes of house brand oil? With the rebates Mobil 1 jugs are just as cheap or cheaper. We don’t need No stinking boxes of oil.
What mobil rebate gets you 12 quarts of full synthetic for $20 like OP did? That is if you even get the rebate. Mobil 1 and RGT both denied my rebate this spring/summer. Rebates are becoming more and more unreliable in addition to the tighter store restrictions. With the plethora of excellent supertech UOA's on this forum, I know what I'm buying when my stash runs low. I can't wait to see those 12qt boxes on clearance for $20.

What mobil rebate gets you 12 quarts of full synthetic for $20 like OP did? That is if you even get the rebate. Mobil 1 and RGT both denied my rebate this spring/summer. Rebates are becoming more and more unreliable in addition to the tighter store restrictions. With the plethora of excellent supertech UOA's on this forum, I know what I'm buying when my stash runs low. I can't wait to see those 12qt boxes on clearance for $20.
Almost as cheap? That sound better. Don’t know how you or Mobil and Shell screw up rebates, but I bought 2 jugs of Mobil 1 on Sept 4th at Walmart and got my $20 rebate card Through the mail in two weeks. Could have been faster with an online electronic virtual card. There are some “clearance“ deals I concur...I got many 5qt jugs of PP for $7 each a while back. No rebate “hassle”.

Used the Halvoline Syn 5w30 6 quart box today servicing a 2007 Acura TSX, which I generally dump 5 quarts into.
While it was easy to pour and to use, I prefer the 5 quart jugs.
All good.

Back